Ate a whole bag of popcorn...

Options
Ate a whole bag of microwave popcorn, did really good on diet otherwise and made it to the gym...but now i feel like i failed today...

Replies

• suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    TynaBaby17 wrote: »
    Ate a whole bag of microwave popcorn, did really good on diet otherwise and made it to the gym...but now i feel like i failed today...

Better than the 2 jam doughnuts I ate yesterday...which put me over my calorie allowance...ouch :'(
  • bronaghCPM
    bronaghCPM Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you're going to binge you could do worse than microwave popcorn! at least you were getting some nutrition. My advice is don't sweat it, the effects will be negligible if you don't let it throw off the rest of the week.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    You can microwave popcorn in a brown paper lunch bag, no oil necessary. It’s actually a healthy snack. You can dress it up savory or sweet, however you like it. The options are limitless. It only has about 30 calories per cup plain.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I love eating entire bags of popcorn! Ends up letting me crunch on stuff but on the whole it's less calorie dense than things like potato crisps. Plus fibre. You can maybe try to find a type with less oil/butter, but even so. Just get back to your usual deficit tomorrow. No biggie.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is my favorite food. I eat a bag of the Orville Redenbacher Simply Salted Light for dinner multiple nights a week. (288-300 kcal)

You're fine- you didn't fail. Of all the "junk" foods you could eat, popcorn is one of the best because it's a whole grain, generally low calorie, and full of fiber like everyone here has pointed out.

But even if you ate 2000 extra kcal, you still wouldn't be failing. Be kind to yourself. This is a journey for the rest of your life.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If that's fair than I normally fail at least twice a week, lol. Food is not your enemy and a bag of popcorn isn't going to be the end of the world. You can make it fit into your calories. And if you can't, look into air popped popcorn. The popcorn itself is relatively low in calories and then you can add whatever flavor your want. I usually do butter and salt on mine. However, I also have coconut oil in a spray can. I add some of that and a little bit of Curry powder. It's an awesome coconut curry forgot for fewer calories.
  • Anthem76
    Anthem76 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Not a big deal. However check out the Skinny Girl Butter and Sea Salt popcorn. It's only 160 calories for the whole bag and it has real butter in it. It doesn't have a lot of junk ingredients either. One bag is filling and I eat it whenever I have a craving for something salty/fatty.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    That's one way to eat back your exercise calories. :smiley:

Maybe if you thought of your calorie allowance as a weekly thing rather than daily you would have room for some treats without guilt?

I do this and it helps big time! You can track it using the Nutrition tab in your Diary. It's only available in the app from what I've seen.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Op, if popcorn is something you enjoy then I highly recommend one of these-it makes it super easy to do popcorn in the microwave (no oil needed!). We put ICBNB spray on it, along with different seasonings, after it's done. Healthy and low calorie snack, even in larger quantities :)

https://www.amazon.com/Lekue-Microwave-Popcorn-Popper-Maker/dp/B00NF9CT0C
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    There are worse things to eat a whole bag of, like the Cool Ranch Dorito bag I inhaled last week. I don't mean to "one-up" you or anything, but it's not like you ate a bag of Oreos or anything.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Um - welcome to every one of my Friday nights!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Congrats, you're a regular human being! ;)

Take at most 5 minutes to think about whether it's trying to tell you something (over-restricting calories or specific foods? need some new stress management approaches? etc.). Then log it, and go on with life.

Weight loss is a long term proposition, not an event. It matters what we do the majority of our days; one time is a blip. Food isn't sin, so needs no expiation. Guilt feels unpleasant, and burns zero extra calories: It's optional. Learn, let it go, move on.

Best wishes! :)
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I eat a huge bowl of popcorn almost every night - 87g to 110g of unpopped kernels, depending on my macros/calories for that day. I am usually needing to get more carbs in and the fiber is always a plus. I spray it with water/vanilla/sucralose and sprinkle with salt. Works out to about 290 to 367 calories (I use the Great Northern brand).
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    you are being to hard on yourself