Tips for a good weigh-in

Options
So, I’m in a weight loss challenge at my gym and we have our final weigh in in 2 weeks. I’m doing pretty well and think I’m in contention to place (lost about 7 pounds in 8 weeks).

I want to make sure my weigh in reflects that and if there’s anything I can do in the coming days and weeks to make sure my weight is extra low. I’m already planning to eat low sodium for a few days leading up and avoid bread.

Anything else you would do? Tips to have a “low” weigh in?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Depends on how hard you want to go. You'll want to cut carbs to a very low level (minus 50 per day) so you purge a lot of water weight. Low sodium is good too, and then the day before/day of you'll want to limit your food volume and water intake.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options

Be safe and good luck. Let us know if you win.

^^!!
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    These contests do not promote healthy weight loss. Consequently I fail to see their relevance or usefulness. They're as useful as the diet du jour all co-workers feel obliged to follow in order to feel included in the group...

Agree 100%.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    These contests do not promote healthy weight loss. Consequently I fail to see their relevance or usefulness. They're as useful as the diet du jour all co-workers feel obliged to follow in order to feel included in the group...
    Agreed. How are the people who don't win this challenge going to feel at the end of it?

• stephaniedenise28
    stephaniedenise28 Posts: 104 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    It was one of these challenges that finally spurred me on to lose the 4stone that I had gained.. I understand that they aren't all that, but if they motivate even one person to make the changes then surely that's a good thing?
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    It was one of these challenges that finally spurred me on to lose the 4stone that I had gained.. I understand that they aren't all that, but if they motivate even one person to make the changes then surely that's a good thing?

What about the people initially motivated to make the changes who go away feeling like still-fat failures because they didn't lose quite as much as some people in the group? People who have weight to lose generally can't afford to lose self-esteem with it!
  • stephaniedenise28
    Options
    As someone who consistently struggles with self esteem and comparing myself to others, I totally get that this is an issue. But at what point do you have to say that you are to some extent responsible for your own self esteem? Theres an article floating around here about someone who feels that people posting progress photos is offensive and fat shaming them. Should other people not lose weight in case it makes someone else feel rubbish?

Again, as I said, I am not very good at it myself and can see both points of view clearly, just aware that anything (within reason of course) that gives someone the motivation to start can be seen as a good thing.
  • Anon2018
    Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how weight loss contests can be destructive, and I just want to be clear about this particular one.

I’m a member of orange theory, which is a studio-based HIIT workout. Each year they do an annual “transformation challenge”. To qualify to win, you have to attend a class at least 3x/week (yes I understand their goal is to sell more classes, but doing HIIT-based training 3x a week is certainly a positive thing). You also get some extra attention from the trainers, who ask you about your goals and diet and try and motivate you. You weigh in at the beginning, 4 weeks in, and at the end (8 weeks in) and the top 3 winners are chosen on % body fat lost. I was already trying to lose weight for my upcoming wedding so I decided to participate. No one goes crazy because this is already a group of gym members. Anyway, initial weigh in I weighed at 158 (I’ll admit, my normal weight is 155 and I had an intentionally high sodium and heavy meal the night before). My midpoint weigh in was 154 and I found out I was in the top 5! Today I weighed on my home scale 151 and I still have 2 weeks to go - I’m dying to get under 150! I would just love to give myself the best chance for success, especially because I asked the studio and they said if I have over 5% lost I have a solid chance to come in the top 3 (which includes a cash prize).

Anyway, just looking for tips to help the scale show 148 (or so) even if my hydrated weight is typically 1-2 pounds higher, nothing crazy. Throughout the challenge I’ve also increased my paces in running and can definitely tell an increase in endurance. Pretty happy with the results no matter what just a cash prize would be cherry on top!
  • stephaniedenise28
    Options
    Good Luck!!! :)
    Anon2018 wrote: »
    I totally understand how weight loss contests can be destructive, and I just want to be clear about this particular one.

I’m a member of orange theory, which is a studio-based HIIT workout. Each year they do an annual “transformation challenge”. To qualify to win, you have to attend a class at least 3x/week (yes I understand their goal is to sell more classes, but doing HIIT-based training 3x a week is certainly a positive thing). You also get some extra attention from the trainers, who ask you about your goals and diet and try and motivate you. You weigh in at the beginning, 4 weeks in, and at the end (8 weeks in) and the top 3 winners are chosen on % body fat lost. I was already trying to lose weight for my upcoming wedding so I decided to participate. No one goes crazy because this is already a group of gym members. Anyway, initial weigh in I weighed at 158 (I’ll admit, my normal weight is 155 and I had an intentionally high sodium and heavy meal the night before). My midpoint weigh in was 154 and I found out I was in the top 5! Today I weighed on my home scale 151 and I still have 2 weeks to go - I’m dying to get under 150! I would just love to give myself the best chance for success, especially because I asked the studio and they said if I have over 5% lost I have a solid chance to come in the top 3 (which includes a cash prize).

Anyway, just looking for tips to help the scale show 148 (or so) even if my hydrated weight is typically 1-2 pounds higher, nothing crazy. Throughout the challenge I’ve also increased my paces in running and can definitely tell an increase in endurance. Pretty happy with the results no matter what just a cash prize would be cherry on top!

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    This would encourage unhealthy behavior, i'm not able to give advice on that.