Quit smoking and start dieting and exercising at the same time

Options
Hi to all of you,
I m Carmen, 38 yo and i started my journey about 2 weeks ago. I quit smoking and i started dieting and exercising in the same time because i was afraid of weight gain :(
Now i feel a little bit discouraged because i m not loosing weight at all :( And it s quite a struggle...
At first i couldn t understand why i list no weight and then i realised: it s because i quit smoking.
Anyone here having the same struggle?
Any recommendations?

Replies

• bryony_bby
    bryony_bby Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The actual quitting smoking doesn't make you gain weight, it's the fact that you eat more. If you're counting calories and measuring everything that goes in and have a decent deficit then quitting smoking won't stall weight loss. You might find that you need a few more weeks to see a difference on the scales.
    Well done you for quitting smoking, I have been counting calories since January and when I quit smoking (19days ago now) I went completely off my diet as it was just too much going on. Only this last week have I been able to be managing both the nicotine cravings and the sugar cravings together lol.

Well done again, it's not easy!x
  • jaimydude
    jaimydude Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Just stick with it and give it time. My nutritionist told me Smoking increases your metabolism. So quitting means your metabolism has decreased and you should actually be naturally gaining weight (all things being equal).
    You may not be losing much right now, but if you're not gaining weight, that is an achievement in itself. That means the diet and exercise is working and you're tipping the scales in spite of working against the change.
    Give your body time to adjust.
    I did it. You can too!
  • jennnifer00540
    jennnifer00540 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @carmenctincc same here. I quit 3 months ago and gained back some weight I had lost. My taste buds are different, and things taste even better now. I kind of wish that was the opposite!
    We’ve got this! You can do it!