Not meeting physique goals over the years, advice please?

Options
Hi Guys, I don’t think I’ve been doing this right.. could I ask for a bit of advice?

I started lifting around late summer 2017 from 4 years of CrossFit and basically running and competitive gymnastics before I had kids.. so lots of cardio before the last year and a half. anyways, I’m nowhere near my physique goals. I’ve been told that maybe I’m not lifting as heavy as I should? Maybe it’s my diet? For the record I’m 43 and have been on maintenance since September and two cuts before that with a few stop starts from the fall until now.. no cardio, just lifting. I’m still a bit fluffy in my opinion and not really muscular. I don’t mind working hard and I get it takes years, I track macros (weigh all grams etc) through RP. I’m just sort of not sure what to do? Cut? Different programming ? More time? Bulk and cut? Something else? I’be been doing a 20 month progressive lifting program (4 deloads) mixed in with PHUL for a few months between cycles.. I can deadlift 200 pounds, bench 130 and strict press 80 pounds - but would like a bit more definition and maybe less body fat... I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong? Should I get a coach? I don’t know...

Replies

• Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    3b5vfy1bj4ci.jpeg
    Here are my puny muscles (please be nice!)
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, so maybe others will have better advice.
    You need to be in a caloric surplus to gain muscle, so try increasing your calories a little. Maybe just by 200 or so if you don't want too much fat gain to come along.
    Could try changing program, too. 20 months seems like a long time to be in the same program.
  • NaturalGainsRecned
    NaturalGainsRecned Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I’d try a slight caloric deficit (200-250 calories) this will enable you to drop body fat at a slow rate, but not sacrifice your strength or energy levels too much. As long as your getting to the gym and challenging yourself, you will get stronger even in a deficit. Also, try and base your carbohydrate intake around your training, pre and post workout. Good luck
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    edited March 2019
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What are your stats?

5’5”, 150 pounds, 43 - before kids I was around 135 but didn’t lift (I wear a size 4/6 if that means anything). Every calculator has me at 1600-1800 cals for maintenance.. I know recomp is slow but I feel like I’m spinning my wheels.. * edited to add, I’m carrying a bit more body fat than I’m comfortable with.. so there’s that.. also my youngest is 5 if that makes a difference ..
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Options
    You need to be in a caloric surplus to gain muscle, so try increasing your calories a little. Maybe just by 200 or so if you don't want too much fat gain to come along.
    Could try changing program, too. 20 months seems like a long time to be in the same program.

I probably should try to cut until I’m lower body fat though before trying to build muscle no?

Sorry I should have clarified, the lifting program is 20 weeks but has 4 different cycles with programmed deloads (with changing the weights and moves). I think the guys at RP know what they’re doing but it’s just me that doesn’t :smile:
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Options
    I’d try a slight caloric deficit (200-250 calories) this will enable you to drop body fat at a slow rate, but not sacrifice your strength or energy levels too much. As long as your getting to the gym and challenging yourself, you will get stronger even in a deficit. Also, try and base your carbohydrate intake around your training, pre and post workout. Good luck

Ok thanks!
  • NaturalGainsRecned
    NaturalGainsRecned Posts: 86 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    What are your stats?

5’5”, 150 pounds, 43 - before kids I was around 135 but didn’t lift (I wear a size 4/6 if that means anything). Every calculator has me at 1600-1800 cals for maintenance.. I know recomp is slow but I feel like I’m spinning my wheels..

I’d recommend 1600 calories, with at least 2-3 days of exercise a week. See how you feel, if energy levels are good and you feel like your seeing results, keep it going. If you don’t see results; don’t go and change it up too quick, gotta give it a chance. 6-8 weeks, if results aren’t good enough or weight loss stalls, lower calories a tad. Just gotta play it smart and be honest with yourself.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If you’re fluffier than you’d like to be, go on a small deficit - .5 poinds a week. I’m on an upper lower split 4x per week and I walk several times a week. I’m still making some lifting progress despite being on the deficit. Lose a few pounds and see how you feel. The fluff is good at hiding the muscle.

• jessicalys
    jessicalys Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Are you eating at least 1.2-2g of protein per 1kg body weight? You need protein to build muscle. Lifting heavier won't hurt but it's about total volume and not the weight for each lift that will help you define muscle. It's hard to know without seeing your training plan.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    And... you’re not new to this, so I’m probably stating the obvious... we women can work our butts off in the weight room and have little to show for it. After the magical newbie gains, progress is slow!
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options

I probably should try to cut until I’m lower body fat though before trying to build muscle no?

Sorry I should have clarified, the lifting program is 20 weeks but has 4 different cycles with programmed deloads (with changing the weights and moves). I think the guys at RP know what they’re doing but it’s just me that doesn’t :smile:

After seeing your stats, think so. From your pics, it didn't seem like you were carrying that much body fat (there was a pic you deleted it seems?), but it wasn't full body, so couldn't say for sure.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Options

After seeing your stats, think so. From your pics, it didn't seem like you were carrying that much body fat (there was a pic you deleted it seems?), but it wasn't full body, so couldn't say for sure.

Yeah I chickened out after thinking how many people might see my squishy belly :blush:

• Lolalikeslolagets
    Options
    Also want to add, provided you are progressing in your program and having adequate volume stimulation, you should be fine. I don't lift heavy (meaning in lower rep ranges) your max lifts are heavier than mine. Trying to recomp at higher bodyweight is not as optimal and can take a long long time so that could explain why you haven't been seeing as much progress as you'd like.

Ok, Right.. it probably makes sense to run a cut. Thanks for the tips guys, hopefully I’ll check back in a couple months with some good progress!
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Yay for RP!!! Are you doing the FPT in addition to the diet side of it? Are you using RP's template or app for diet?
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    Yay for RP!!! Are you doing the FPT in addition to the diet side of it? Are you using RP's template or app for diet?

Hey! Thanks for the friend add! Yeah I’ve been flipping between the 3x and 5X, fpt since the summer of 2017- currently finishing up M1 .. I’ve done two cuts on my own through RP and one 1:1, loosing and regaining basically the same 5-8 pounds. Following maintenance now though their app which is great! But I’m not nearly one of their fantastic success stories.. I don’t think I’m working hard enough though, I don’t know.. what about you?