Feeling sick from cutting carbs

Options
2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to be doing keto, you don't need to be at 50g a day. You are doing keto.

For a healthy person, there's nothing wrong with eating 200 g of carbs a day. Optimally they would come from something more nutritious than cookies, but that's not an unreasonable number of carbs for a healthy diet. I eat lower carb because I am diabetic and try to stay under 150g, which keeps my blood glucose at good levels. If you are getting adequate protein and healthy fat, let the carbs fall wherever. The number of carbs you eat has no effect on weight loss.

So as long as the carbs come from good food such as sweet potato, rice, veggies, etc, I’m still able to lose the weight with a calorie deficit?
    For some reason it was already drilled into my head that I need lower carb in order to lose weight but it’s not worth it if that makes it Keto (and makes me sick). So I will up my carb intake and just make sure everything is healthy. Thank you!!!! 😊

It doesn't really matter where the carbs come from and there is no such thing as a good carb or a bad carb. You will lose weight when you eat fewer calories than your body burns.

When reducing calories most people need to pay attention to the nutrition in their food because you are eating less food. Try to eat mostly nutrient rich foods (lean meats, whole grains, veggies and whole fruits, dairy, etc). When you have eaten a nice variety of nutrient rich foods, you can make space for a limited number of treats where you don't worry about what is in them. Just count the calories (and macros if you are also doing that) and enjoy!
  • earlnabby
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Tip: increase salt.

Pink salt has many minerals including all of needed ions of sodium, magnesium, and potassium.

Pink salt has no more benefit than any other salt and also contains contaminants like mercury, arsenic, lead, thallium, radium, uranium, polonium, plutonium, etc

is it just me that now has the element song by tom lehrer in their head? i cant be the only dr demento fan here.

Just went to YT to see it. I need to memorize that song for Monday nights at Pub Trivia
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I think you got enough valuable information here as far as whether or not cutting carbs is necessary for weight loss (i.e. it's not), but if you want to eat fewer carbs for whatever reason, and not have side effects of ketosis, just increase them to like 100-150 a day and see how you feel.

I don't purposely try to eat low carb, but tend to be around that range just based on the foods I eat most days.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 200+ carbs a day. From cookies, sweets, etc. never good carbs.
    The last 3 days I have managed to stay around 50 carbs a day, with a calorie deficit.
    I just feel so nauseous, constant headache, etc. is this normal?? Does my body think I’m doing the Keto diet (which I do not want to be doing)
    Any tips?

Yep it's normal and it sucks.

BTW, keto is not necessary for weight loss. But i'm sure you know that. Personally I can eat exact same number of calories but with different macros split and either feel sick and starving on the 50C macros or feel normal and just peckish on 200C. I know what I prefer.

HOWEVER - when I have done low carb for purely vanity reasons, it's just been becuase I need to drop a couple of kilos quickly to make my vanity stomach flatter for something. When i eat carbs again the water weight comes back up, but I feel 100000000x better so yeah...
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    oh and PS - waht other people said above about sweet potato etc. eat ANY carb. fruit is good for you. I have bread just about every day coz I love bread. feel free to stalk my diary it's open.
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 200+ carbs a day. From cookies, sweets, etc. never good carbs.
    The last 3 days I have managed to stay around 50 carbs a day, with a calorie deficit.
    I just feel so nauseous, constant headache, etc. is this normal?? Does my body think I’m doing the Keto diet (which I do not want to be doing)
    Any tips?

I personally thought I was the only one experiencing this. I have in the past few days gotten nauseous, had what I thought was a sinus headache because of the pressure I felt. And when standing up in this state feel generally lousy. But, I would lay down for a good while and would feel better after getting up. In fact, I would feel great. Must ax my MD about this.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Varies by person and many can avoid it by increasing salt. When I did it I was already somewhat low carb (100-120 g) and had no "flu" symptoms -- one day I felt a headache coming on, and managed to avoid it by drinking some salty water. I eat lots of veg and did doing keto, so my magnesium and potassium was pretty decent already, and I added more salt when cooking when I decided to do keto.

My only symptoms were a loss of energy for intense activity for a while -- felt it when running up stairs or running in general. That took 2-3 weeks to start getting better.

I didn't find that keto was beneficial for me and I disliked cutting out some really nutrient-dense foods I enjoy, which is why I quit, but it was an interesting experience. I lost all my weight not doing keto, however.

Since you had WLS, you'd want to check with your dietitian before doing something super high fat -- depending on the type of WLS it could be beneficial or not, but there would be considerations different from people who have not had surgical intervention that affects digestion.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I have read the comments. I will research Himalayan pink salt as I have some of this and is SUPPOSED TO HAVE CERTAIN minerals. i will fjnd out though. tnank you for the comments. And. also If I personally decided to eat keto how long. does keto flu last?

You would have to eat pounds of the pink salt daily to get any added benefit from the other minerals that are present in the salt...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/pink-himalayan-salt#section6

Even sea salt, which has some minerals but is not known to have the contaminants in pink salt, has so little that you need to eat 2 cups a day to get any benefit. You will not live long enough to enjoy those benefits because 2 cups a day will kill you very quickly.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It's Keto Flu - and it does seem to go away (or least did for me) after a few days/a week. Like your body has to get used to being in ketosis. If you want to eat carbs do - if you want to do keto - do. Just know what is happening when you do it. (I lost and kept 17# off doing keto - and although I stayed full and stuff - I just missed having things like bread/sweets/etc. so quit). Whatever works best for you!