I have alot of scallions and cabbage that I want to use, any

Options
caroln3
caroln3 Posts: 217
I have alot of scallions and cabbage that I want to use, any suggestions?

I really like that pickled cabbage that is a condiment for pupusas, I would love a good recipe for that as well.

Replies

• ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    cabbage = minestrone soup

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/hearty-minestrone-with-barley-sage-beans-10000001571488/

Just made it this past week. Very hearty, good flavor, you'll have plenty of leftovers for a quick lunch. Nutrition facts posted on the site.

::edit:: or you could make something chinese (like lettuce wraps, only with cabbage) just hit up Allrecipes.com and look for sweet and sour chicken, most chinese dishes use scallions :)
  • squishysangel
    squishysangel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My mom, who is on a doctor supervised weight loss regime, takes the cabage and slices it ike you would for coleslaw. She puts it in a casserole dish layering it with her favorite spice, cajun, and just about a 1/4 inch of water then bakes it for about an hour I think she said. It carmelizes and is quite tastey. I would use different spices if I were to do it so they would compliment the cabbage. Just a thought.
  • caroln3
    Options
    thank you I will check it out
  • Dona_Maria
    Dona_Maria Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Easy one for me, Cabbage/ Boneless chicken soup, I'd put it all in a crockpot and there you go!
  • fitwatch
    fitwatch Posts: 61
    Options
    Something simple....soup. Add some noodles, a little spice. If you have some morsels of beef, throw that in too.
  • MsCandyLynn
    Options
    im old fashion but i love to just boil my cabbage, add a lil bit of country crock light and smoked turkey kielbasa and im good to go!!! yumm-o
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it would make a great soup!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I would make Stir fry :-)
  • caroln3
    Options
    My mom, who is on a doctor supervised weight loss regime, takes the cabage and slices it ike you would for coleslaw. She puts it in a casserole dish layering it with her favorite spice, cajun, and just about a 1/4 inch of water then bakes it for about an hour I think she said. It carmelizes and is quite tastey. I would use different spices if I were to do it so they would compliment the cabbage. Just a thought.

Sounds good, I already have about 4 1/2 cups shredded, it sounds like something different I will try it, thanks!
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    There are alot of recipes out there for a oriental cabbage slaw. I've had several variations & all delicious!! Do a search on allrecipes.com. It has cabbage, scallions, soy sauce, some kind of vinegar, usually some kind of nut, either pine nuts or sunflower seeds. Some recipes even have crunched up ramen noodles mixed in. Seriously, search the recipes, yummy!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    mix ground trukey with ground beef, add in chopped scallions and any other spices you like ( italian, go with basil and oregano) or allspice with parika...etc...and eggs....1 egg to ilb meat. mix well.....take some of the meat mixture form it into a ball, roll it into cabbage leaf...place seam side down and bake...stuffed cabbage...serve over whole grain rice
  • caroln3
    Options
    thank you all great ideas!
  • BreezyDays
    BreezyDays Posts: 292
    Options
    Just threw some in the crock with some diced tomatoes and seasonings (garlic, basil, bay leaf, onion powder). I also added some yellow squash and boneless chicken breast. Im considering tossing in some celery and carrots and maybe some barley or brown rice, undecided yet.
  • mpmama2re
    mpmama2re Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    cabbage is a great snack for me.. I just love the crunchiness of it. as for scallions, can't help you there. I cannot eat onions.
  • AmyS79
    AmyS79 Posts: 65
    Options
    cabage and cornbeef
  • sdennis07
    sdennis07 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to slice cabbage really thin; saute chopped scallions in evoo then add cabbage, I like a little sweetness so I sprinkle it with splenda or if you like sugar, cook cabbage till tender, then add a can of lite beer and cook till nice and tender. Season it the way you like it. Salt, pepper, cayenne gives it a little kick, etc.:smile: The beer is optional, I have used green tea also.
  • motherof2wins
    motherof2wins Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sautee the cabbage in a little olice oil, add black pepper and a little sugar, then add it to a little bit of ccoked whole wheat pasta as a side dish. Yum.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I might be odd, but I love cabbage steamed just as it is. Take a wedge and put it in a steamer or steam in the microwave. A little butter and a little salt and pepper and it's delicious. I also add it raw and shredded to tacos and salads and add it into the veggies when I make a stir fry.