Always hungry! How to suppress my appetite?

Options
I've started calorie counting again. I first set my goal to 1200 a day and I just could not sustain that! So moved the goal to 1500, I'm still starving. Then 1750! I'm still just thinking about food constantly. I do around 45 minutes of leisurely walking a day, and I strength train 3x a week for a hour. I'm hitting all my protein goals and I am not depriving myself of anything. I am eating loads but very healthy! Just want this hunger to go so I can just lose some weight. I've been doing this for 3 weeks and lost around 2lbs it's driving me mad! Also im not working so im pretty much sedatory other than little bit of exercise i just said about. Any appetite suppression ideas?!?! Or am I just going to have to suck it up I'm going to always be hungry? My TDEE at sedatory is 1965.

Replies

• Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I drink over 2litres a day and I eat a lot of veg. I start my day with a veg smoothie everyday. Maybe it's a mind overy matter thing. It is so frustrating!!
  • tazroni
    tazroni Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I noticed when I started eating foods with increase fiber content I felt full, sometimes uncomfortably full, you just have to try and find the right balance, good luck
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating several smaller meals throughout the day? I am one of those people who finds myself hungry every few hours, regardless of what I eat. Even if I was to scarf down 2000 calories in a meal (been done before), it doesn't satiate me for much longer than a handful of hours. I try to eat 4 meals a day every 3-4 hours. That helps me with the cravings. Although sometimes, I just have to battle them through willpower if I feel hungry 45 minutes after eating.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Jayj180894 wrote: »
    I've started calorie counting again. I first set my goal to 1200 a day and I just could not sustain that! So moved the goal to 1500, I'm still starving. Then 1750! I'm still just thinking about food constantly. I do around 45 minutes of leisurely walking a day, and I strength train 3x a week for a hour. I'm hitting all my protein goals and I am not depriving myself of anything. I am eating loads but very healthy! Just want this hunger to go so I can just lose some weight. I've been doing this for 3 weeks and lost around 2lbs it's driving me mad! Also im not working so im pretty much sedatory other than little bit of exercise i just said about. Any appetite suppression ideas?!?! Or am I just going to have to suck it up I'm going to always be hungry? My TDEE at sedatory is 1965.

How are your fiber and fat? Some people find them necessary for satiety too.

Are there specific times of day when you are hungry? And can you try to pinpoint - are you really hungry, or is it maybe boredom or stress? Are you getting enough sleep?

Is the smoothie taking up a lot of calories? I don't find anything I can't chew really fills me up, maybe it's not the best use of calories for you?

When all else fails, I find a cup of coffee or a caffeinated diet soda will buy me a little time. Just throwing ideas out for you, hopefully something will stick!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Have a look at my diary, it's open. When I eat 1700 ish I am not starving to death - I get peckish yes, but not dying of starvation. I tend to go for smaller meals with BIG VOLUME each meal and I chew all my calories - no liquid calories! To curb my peckishness at the end of the day I will usually finish my dinner meal with a frozen juice tube - suck on that for a bit and it takes a long time, it's sweet, and it's only like 34 calories. Oh and I go to bed early LOL!

I have similar TDEE to you and I find I can manage at 1700 without starving to death. The lowest I can manage is 1500, but then I need a proper refeed on one day of up to 2000 calories in order to sustain the 1500. Even on 1700 I still tend to have ONE refeed meal on a Friday night where I push my calories up to maintenance or just above just to give me satiety. It helps in the long run.
  • phoebe1975
    phoebe1975 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I know they are more of a keto thing, but have you ever tried fat bombs? They serve a few purposes for me- they fill me up (I can barely finish a whole one...and I can EAT lol), they satisfy my sweet tooth, and they seem to give me a boost of energy (might be all in my head who knows). I don't eat a low carb diet in general, but I am a fan of fat bombs!