Too much protien?

I want to lose a little weight & gain/build muscle. If I already reach my protien goal for the day should I still have protien after my workout ?
Should I eat less protien in the day before workout? I’m usually working out 930pm

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    How much protein are you currently getting? I would recommend 0.8-1g per lb goalweight or per lb lean body mass (if you know it). More than that is fine but you want to make sure you are getting enough fats and other nutrients too.

You don't have to fuss too much about meal timing, as long as you are hitting your protein goals over the course of the day you will be fine. Eat the same amount of protein everyday not just on workout days.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    A protien window isn't something to be concerned about.

Eat well balanced meals and get your calories in daily.

For optimal muscle protein synthesis, I recommend just over 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight as a catch all of age, gender, etc...
  • kristiehardie
    kristiehardie Posts: 3 Member
    This was before my workout & usually I have a 24g protein shake after my workout which would put me over my protein intake (I didn’t log my after workout shake)
  • sardelsa
    How much do you weigh, what is your goal weight? 209g seems like overkill especially if you have little to lose like you mentioned.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    How much do you weigh, what is your goal weight? 209g seems like overkill especially if you have little to lose like you mentioned.

209 is her carb intake.

She is likely low on her protein.
  • sardelsa
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

209 is her carb intake.

She is likely low on her protein.

Oh man I clearly am too tired today :p

Yea only 95g protein is likely too low unless she is very light
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited March 2019
    I'm one of those who believe that there's no such thing a "too much" protein, as long as your body can properly metabolize it.

I have eaten as much as 2g/# of BW to as little as .5g/#BW w/o any adverse medical or physical effects.

However, when I reduced my protein intake AND reduced the amount of weight lifting I did, I lost LBM and gained fat, while maintaining my weight at the same level.

So, if your objective is to increase LBM and reduce fat, based on my experience, you need to eat more protein and lift more. If yhat not a concern, then you just need to eat enough protein and other nutients to remain healthy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    How much do you weigh OP?

How much protein is 0.8g per lb of bodyweight?
  • Darkcinammon
    Darkcinammon Posts: 1 Member
    Just taking a look. Normally I pass my protein and fat quantities and I keep the carbs lower.

PS: Endo type here and I am on cutting phase.
  • kristiehardie
    kristiehardie Posts: 3 Member
    I am about 146
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I am about 146

Then your protein intake should be around 116 grams based on .8 grams per lb of body weight.