Ex Vegetarian in need of Inspiration

Hi all,

After 17 years of being vegetarian I have started to eat meat again,

Does anybody have any low cal dinner suggestions for me - anything with chicken breast, white fish of mince meat.

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Hey there,
    No suggestions really, just wanted to say "hi" to another former veggie. I was a vegetarian for over 20 years, had to start eating meat as per my dr's orders.
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    White fish in tomato wine sauce
    Ingrediants:
    1.25 lbs of white fish ( you can use code, tilapia, orange roughy etc you want a mild white fish)
    1 (14 oz) can of diced tomatoes
    ¾ cup diced green onions
    2 (16 g) cans of sliced black olives
    1 small to medium zucchini
    1 small to medium yellow summer squash
    1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 pinch of thyme
    ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
    1 pinch of rosemary
    2 tablespoons fresh basil
    1 cup white wine

Directions:
    1. Heat olive oil in medium skillet over medium heat and stir in chopped green onions. Cook until tender 3-8 mins
    2. Mix white wine, tomatoes, olives, zucchini and summer squash in bring to a boil.
    3. Stir in basil, thyme, rosemary and black pepper. Place fish on top of mixture.
    4. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until fish flakes. If you need to flip fish.

Servings 4 calories 264

Cooks Note: I sprinkled mine with feta cheese. This is a wonderful fresh spring dinner. You can add rice to it also for a full dinner. This goes well with a dinner salad too.

Absolutely love this dish. I actually need to make this again soon.
  • ewejewel
    ewejewel Posts: 36 Member
    check the message board today...there is a really great meatloaf recipe, although it has beef and pork in it....I substitute them for chicken and turkey (I'm a peco/pollo vegetarian) hope this helps!
  • plagirl227
    plagirl227 Posts: 134
    Wow. I used to be vegetarian. What made you decide to change after so many years?
  • Chunk light tuna in water(100 cal for the whole can) with a bit of mustard and kraft fat-free mayo on light wheat. Simple, classic, low-cal.

Chicken breast duncked in wheat flour, then egg whites, rolled on cracker/chip/breadcrumb mixturewith seasonings(fresh or dried) of your choice and baked for about 20-30 min at 350 degrees F. This has been my go to for cooking for my family when I'm kinda not in the mood to really cook, and it can be customized with all kinds of flavors. You can even roll the chicken in crushed almonds :p

Also, if you have a crockpot, I have a really simple bbq chicken recipe saved somewhere. You basically make your own sauce and toss it with the chicken in the pot for 4-6 hours. Soo easy

I'm a vegan myself, but I'm also the only person who likes to cook in my family...so yeah XD.
  • Wow. I used to be vegetarian. What made you decide to change after so many years?

I had been thinking about it for a while. People would ask me why I was a veggie and I didn't really have a reason. I was an awkward 12 year old when I went veggie lol

It is taking a lot of getting used to!
  • Thanks for the great tips - the Fish recipe sounds great x