Diagnose me please...

Options

Replies

• abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    This is coming from an RN.....it does sound like orthostatic hypotension (or called postural hypotension), you need to checl your BP laying down, then sitting, then standing and see if it changes. If you only ever check in while sitting you dont know if there is a difference. If thats the problem there is little a Dr. can do for anyways. You just have to be sure to stand up slowly and sit for a minute before standing all the way up.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Yes, my blood sugar dropping is what happens to me now on occassion... typically on crazy days at work when I don't eat lunch. But, it doesn't "feel the same" to me as when my BP would dip.
    you said you don't have low blood pressure, but you might. especially if it is worse when you are squatting, or kneeling and sitting back on your heels then stand up--those positions reduce circulation and if you do have low blood pressure it can cause you to see stars a bit.

I've had low blood pressure my whole life and this happens to me.

another possibility is a dramatic dip in blood sugar, perhaps you can look into keeping low-glycemic snacks handy and eat little bits several times a day to keep the sugar level stable.

finally, you could just be eating too few calories overall, especially around your workouts.

blessings.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Well... um .. you are blonde... ;)

Few things I can think of:

1) Blood sugar
    2) Inner ear problem
    3) Low Iron
    4) Too low of sodium

You said you went to the Dr, but did he/she actually test for any of this?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    and please don't tell me to go to the doctor. Just looking for someone who may have a similar problem.

I get dizzy when I stand up. Nearly every time I stand up, the room spins a bit and then my eyes refocus and I'm fine. I drink water - not as much as I should, but about 6 glasses per day on average. So, I don't think I'm dehydrated. I've never had Blood Pressure problems, either high or low. I eat enough. Work out a lot. Any ideas out there in MFP land?
    It's the flow of blood. When you sit you're compressing some major arteries and veins and when you stand up that blood flows free through the veins and arteries again, so the flow of blood is temporarily disrupted. The heavier you are, the worse the issue.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Could be many things...that could be triggering this..for a really quick check vs. seeing the Dr, you can check when the local store Pharmacy's do blood work? I know they do it in my area every now and then....you can check your Iron through the blood banks, as they check it first.. But I know you said you don't want to be sent to a Dr...but seems to me you have no real choice..it could be something minor...to something major..and best to find out sooner than later
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Im severely anemic, and the same thing happens to me. Sometimes i've even come close to passing out. I take a multivitamin every day along with iron supplements and it helps a lot.
  • o0Amanda0o
    o0Amanda0o Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    might be vertigo. Something wrong with your inner ear. Does it happen when you bend over or go to lay down?

I was thinking the same thing. It could be vertigo...
  • smokesone
    smokesone Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you feel sick, get the shakes and are dizzy when you stand up quickly it is Blood sugar!
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I never can understand when it comes to health problems people always ask others to diagnose them, see your doctor. Yes, I am in the medical field. Yes, it could be orthostatic hypotension, or something quite minor but only your doctor can take everythig you've been doing and come to a conclusion. Yes, doctors are "practicing" medicine but I'd rather have their advice.... Just saying.

To OP: what did your doctor say?

Sorry for upsetting you! :wink: My doctor didn't have much to say - she's extremely laid back. She told me I probably don't drink enough water, but we couldn't "re-enact" the episode in her office, so there wasn't much else she could do about it. My blood work is fine.
  • TluvK
    Options
    and please don't tell me to go to the doctor. Just looking for someone who may have a similar problem.

I get dizzy when I stand up. Nearly every time I stand up, the room spins a bit and then my eyes refocus and I'm fine. I drink water - not as much as I should, but about 6 glasses per day on average. So, I don't think I'm dehydrated. I've never had Blood Pressure problems, either high or low. I eat enough. Work out a lot. Any ideas out there in MFP land?
    It's the flow of blood. When you sit you're compressing some major arteries and veins and when you stand up that blood flows free through the veins and arteries again, so the flow of blood is temporarily disrupted. The heavier you are, the worse the issue.

I'm not heavy, but I am tall. 5'10" and 149 lbs. But, my legs and feet go numb all the time when I sit down on them for periods of time.
  • TluvK
    Options
    I never can understand when it comes to health problems people always ask others to diagnose them, see your doctor. Yes, I am in the medical field. Yes, it could be orthostatic hypotension, or something quite minor but only your doctor can take everythig you've been doing and come to a conclusion. Yes, doctors are "practicing" medicine but I'd rather have their advice.... Just saying.

My doctor didn't have much to say - she's extremely laid back.

Is your doctor employed by a dispensary?
    Um...she's not THAT relaxed....but I do live in a ski town...I think you just solved my problem.:smokin:
  • trini14
    trini14 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This is coming from an RN.....it does sound like orthostatic hypotension (or called postural hypotension), you need to checl your BP laying down, then sitting, then standing and see if it changes. If you only ever check in while sitting you dont know if there is a difference. If thats the problem there is little a Dr. can do for anyways. You just have to be sure to stand up slowly and sit for a minute before standing all the way up.

Agree!!!! :)
  • TluvK
    Options
    Well... um .. you are blonde... ;)

You figured it out!!!! Send me a bill.:flowerforyou:
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options

My doctor didn't have much to say - she's extremely laid back.

Is your doctor employed by a dispensary?
    Um...she's not THAT relaxed....but I do live in a ski town...I think you just solved my problem.:smokin:

See there ya go... don't stand up when you're :smokin:
    Just stay still and order pizza.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I'm not heavy, but I am tall. 5'10" and 149 lbs. But, my legs and feet go numb all the time when I sit down on them for periods of time.
    I get it too when I sit down on my legs too long.
  • trailrider1963
    Options
    It might be postural hypotension - blood pressure drops as you stand up. This can happen if you have cut your sodium intake too much.

This.
  • trini14
    trini14 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Sorry for upsetting you! :wink: My doctor didn't have much to say - she's extremely laid back. She told me I probably don't drink enough water, but we couldn't "re-enact" the episode in her office, so there wasn't much else she could do about it. My blood work is fine.

Girlfriend, you didn't upset me, I just get worried when people try to get their info from others/Internet. No harm no foul. I do hope you find out what's going on with you, with all sincerity :)
  • TluvK
    Options
    Okay ya'll...DUH DUH DUMMMMMM. I JUST made an appointment with the other Doctor in town, because you know, there really are only two doctors where I live. It's awesome.

So, thanks to everyone who offered their opinions and suggestions. I find it VERY helpful to hear from people with similar issues to help narrow things down. And then if and when I do go to see a doctor, I can succinctly explain what I feel and what I suspect is going on.

For everyone else who just wanted to scold me like I was their naughty child; have a really nice day!!!!
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    If you didn't spin around in your desk chair for 20 minutes before getting it, it might not be so bad!
    Durr....I should have thought about that. Thanks for your expert opinion.

Not a problem- people actually pay $100s of dollars an hour for me to think for them!

how much thinking will you do for me if i give you .15cents?

Hmmmm I'll look at your picture and think dirty thoughts, how about that? haha

wait...i'm getting ripped off...i have to pay you to look at my pics and think dirty thoughts??
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Okay ya'll...DUH DUH DUMMMMMM. I JUST made an appointment with the other Doctor in town, because you know, there really are only two doctors where I live. It's awesome.

So, thanks to everyone who offered their opinions and suggestions. I find it VERY helpful to hear from people with similar issues to help narrow things down. And then if and when I do go to see a doctor, I can succinctly explain what I feel and what I suspect is going on.

For everyone else who just wanted to scold me like I was their naughty child; have a really nice day!!!!

Good luck. I know it was beyond frustrating while they tried to figure out what it was for me. It wasn't until the inner ear infection got REALLY bad that they figured it out. Hopefully it's something simple and easy to fix. =)