New Diabetic

Options
I’ve recently been diagnosed with diabetes. I need to lose weight. I need to eat less carbs. This app allows me to track my carbs which I really like. I’m 5’ 10” but I weigh 304 lbs. so I have a LOT of weight to lose. I’m walking a little every day. I have a bad back, seven prior surgeries, so exercise is really tough. Today is a new beginning.

Replies

• AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You are making the first step to get healthier! Maybe water exercises would help you be more active without less pain. i wish you the very best on your journey!
  • julita2004
    julita2004 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good look on the weight loss! I’m showing all the symptoms of type 2 diabetes so soon I’m going to get tested for it..
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,516 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your journey! I am also diabetic and eating better has helped improve my a1c.
  • xxxMADMAXxxx
    xxxMADMAXxxx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Exercise is important, but your diet is what really makes a difference with weight loss.
    Start slow- walking, swimming and there is also Zumba chair classes too (if you like to dance- all done from the chair). Be patient with yourself and make sure you allow time for deep sleep too.

My parents were both diagnosed with diabetes- it is a total life-changer and difficult.
    Good for you for starting afresh today. All the best to you!
  • Clarisse_McClellan
    Clarisse_McClellan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! Both my sister and my dad have/had diabetes. My dad (who passed away a few years ago) paid attention to what he was eating after being diagnosed, but my sister is absolutely unworried about any of it. I don't get it. Both of them being diagnosed made *me* more conscious of what I put in my body. I'm glad you're making the changes!
  • SelenaMariaStewart
    SelenaMariaStewart Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Exercise is a great step, but the BEST thing you can do for your weightless journey is to eat within your allowed calories!
  • svpeaches
    svpeaches Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement! It really means a lot because this is NOT an easy journey. Totally changing your diet from the way you’ve been eating for years is difficult and stomping out that sweet tooth is even harder but I am determined to get my health back on track. I don’t know if I can do it but I would like to lose about 150 pounds without having to resort to surgery. It will be tough.
  • lucerogina
    lucerogina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am type 1 diabetic and have been for 22 years. I am also starting my fitness journey. Please let me know if you’d like to be friends either through this app or Facebook. It’s always nice to have someone to reach out to. 😊
  • beast_kitty89
    beast_kitty89 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Take one day at a time. Don't get overwhelmed. Make small changes to your diet and build up.
  • Dawnxre
    Dawnxre Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you'd like, you can add me. I'm pretty much in the same weight loss boat as you. I'm 5'10" and 309 pounds. Like others have said, just focus on one thing at a time. For example, my first priority is to get my eating under control (I'm a binge eater) , then I'll incorporate exercise into it all. I know it's hard, but you can do this. Good luck on your weight loss journey.