Had my first appointment with a Registered Dietitian!

Options
It was great! She looked at what MFP and recommended that we lower my carbs, and up my protein and fat since I am nursing. She also wants to see me eat 8-9oz of meat a day. It was neat to see the information on MFP translated to recommendations for meal portions and what needs to be in each meal!

I see her again in three weeks to go over my diet and what I can improve on, she just wants me to print out my food from today till then and bring it with me.

I am super glad my insurance covers 3 visits a year so I can see one more time this year and then once every 4 months next year! ( I can see her more if needed but it would be the 70-130$ per visit instead of the 5$ co-pay though I don't think think I will but maybe 4 times a year vs 3 might be more beneficial for me.)

Has anyone else seen a dietitian to help with their weight loss?

Replies

• onetwentysomething
    onetwentysomething Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome! If I could afford it I totally would.
  • dreaasha
    dreaasha Posts: 31
    Options
    I did once. He was horrible. He printed out a copy of the food pyramid and gave it to me.
  • BRoth1987
    Options
    Well that is no fun! We talked for a little over an hour about my goals what I want out of it and such.
  • routerguy666
    Options
    Yes, best thing I ever did. Well mine's an MD but same thing. She laid out how to eat for the rest of my life and gave me a plan for shedding the pounds. Saw her once a week for the first few months just to make sure everything was on track, now i see her once a month.

Good for you, and I hope it helps you as much as it did me.
  • BRoth1987
    Options
    Thanks and she is part of my PCP's office just not my PCP. I am really looking forward to growing my knowledge!
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I saw both a nutritionist and a dietitian when I switched to a vegetarian diet. Worst waste of my time and money ever. I found out more from Googling than I did from either of them. The only things they told me was to make sure I got enough protein, to try to stick to 1200 calories per day to lose weight (I ended up needing more than that), and to drink enough water.

I learned on my own that vegetarians have to learn how to combine proteins to make a complete enzyme (think beans + rice, pasta + tomatoes). I learned on my own about new grains such as quinoa and bulgher wheat. I put my own menus together. When I went back to the dietitian, she was surprised at how quick I picked up on being a vegetarian. I told her it was no thanks to her and that Google was my best teacher! LOL! I didn't make another appointment for a return visit and then decided after a few years as a vegetarian that I hated it. Then I found MFP and I've lost the weight on my own just by making sure that I eat enough fruits/veggies per day and at least one serving of lean meat.

But it's great that you found a good dietitian! They are often difficult to find!