1000 calorie deficit too much??

Options
I am 8 lbs away from my goal weight...yay!! I purchased a body media(which I love)and found out I burn about 2500 calories a day and usually eat around1500 calories. Is 1000 calorie deficit too much? Should I up my calories? I don't want to lose too fast or stop losing weight either. What I really need to know is what should my calorie deficit be at?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    with less than 15 lbs to go you should be aiming for a deficit of 250 (0.5lbs/week) this will help ensure that you lose a higher % fat without sacrificing muscle loss. The closer you are to your goal weight, the smaller your deficit should be a 1000 cal deficit is safe and healthy if you have 75+ lbs to lose, 1.5 lbs from 40ish-75, 1 lb from 15 or 20-40 and 0.5 <15
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    with less than 15 lbs to go you should be aiming for a deficit of 250 (0.5lbs/week) this will help ensure that you lose a higher % fat without sacrificing muscle loss. The closer you are to your goal weight, the smaller your deficit should be a 1000 cal deficit is safe and healthy if you have 75+ lbs to lose, 1.5 lbs from 40ish-75, 1 lb from 15 or 20-40 and 0.5 <15

^^^This. The closer to your goal, the slower the weight will come off. I also had to adjust my goal down to 0.5lb per week once I got within 20 lbs of my goal.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    1000 is definitely too much. I'd try for 250-500.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    1,000 calorie deficit should ensure 2lbs of fat loss per week. Keep in mind though, that as you're working out you are putting on lean muscle. So your weight loss may appear slower, when in fact you're still loosing fat and adjusting your body composition.

Also, be sure that your goal weight is a healthy weight. Perhaps aim for a specific fat percentage rather than a number on the scale?

God bless!
  • Kamille84
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm sure I won't have any issues with eating more. :bigsmile:
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Bodybugg!!! Isn't it awesome to have that feedback?

God bless!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is not to much depending on your overall calories. My maintenance is around 2900-3000 and I consume 1900 net calories then have one day of surplus calories. The keys are heavy resistance training and high amounts of protein. Also, you don't want to do lots of cardio on top of this or you will lose muscle mass. Also, in this scenario you should consume most of your calories at night as this has been proven to prevent muscle loss while dieting.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is not to much depending on your overall calories. My maintenance is around 2900-3000 and I consume 1900 net calories then have one day of surplus calories. The keys are heavy resistance training and high amounts of protein. Also, you don't want to do lots of cardio on top of this or you will lose muscle mass. Also, in this scenario you should consume most of your calories at night as this has been proven to prevent muscle loss while dieting.

if I eat my food in the dark, did I really eat it? ha ha. sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    1,000 calorie deficit should ensure 2lbs of fat loss per week. Keep in mind though, that as you're working out you are putting on lean muscle. So your weight loss may appear slower, when in fact you're still loosing fat and adjusting your body composition.

Also, be sure that your goal weight is a healthy weight. Perhaps aim for a specific fat percentage rather than a number on the scale?

God bless!

Um, no. Someone with 8lbs to go should not be trying for 2lbs a week and yeah, you can't build pounds of muscle while on a calorie deficit.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm sure I won't have any issues with eating more. :bigsmile:

Wasn't a problem for me, either! :bigsmile:
  • Rae6503
    Options

Wasn't a problem for me, either! :bigsmile:

Yeah, I really don't understand when people DO have a problem with it.