Brute strength showdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG3h749G6eY&t=5s

Liked the first one (men's version). These are always so fun to watch various specific lifters (crossfitter/bodybuilder/powerlifter/olympic weight lifter/etc.) when he/she is pushed outside of his/her comfort zone

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    I've watched various channels on YouTube that have similar competitions. They're always fun to watch and sometimes quite surprising.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    #goals
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Anyone else feel sad for the powerlifter doing the crossfit giant set? Fish out of water, esp. on the rowing part
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    #goals

No, you are goals...these women are on Peds

I know for certain DLB and the powerlifter are not on peds, because the USAPL does testing.

It is possible to for a PED using athlete to pass a drug test. I wouldn't claim certainty on something given that.
    It is also fairly like DLB was on PEDs at one point she competed in the Olympia, and there is growing evidence that anabolics may provide a permanent change in muscle potential.

Yep!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    oooh I want to watch this great! thanks for the link!

PS - re the PEDS? Personally, I don't care about that. Hard work still needs to be put in training and diet and all that. So even though the PEDS help, they don't magically make a person superhuman. If they didn't train hard AF they would still suck even if on PEDS.

Can't wait to get home and watch (i'm at work now hehehe)
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I saw the men's version and absolutely loved it. I am watching the women's one now too, and I'm so excited for it, but so sad because I know it will be over too...

They really picked some good personalities for the men's one, I am really enjoying the women's one too so far.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    I haven't watched this yet, but is there any evidence that the women are actually on PEDs? Or are we doing the kneejerk "big / strong, therefore PEDs" thing? I'm geniunely curious.

I know that with men, people will analyse different weight ratios, size & body fat during the off season, growth, and obviously the athletes' own statements, but (maybe because I follow male lifters) I've never seen the same discussion around women.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    I haven't watched this yet, but is there any evidence that the women are actually on PEDs? Or are we doing the kneejerk "big / strong, therefore PEDs" thing? I'm geniunely curious.

I know that with men, people will analyse different weight ratios, size & body fat during the off season, growth, and obviously the athletes' own statements, but (maybe because I follow male lifters) I've never seen the same discussion around women.

I haven't seen it yet and don't know the women, but just looking at the picture above I can't honestly say "ooh the one on the top left is on the juice" or whatever. They all just look pretty damn normal to me. Normal as in fit and strong and working hard normal. Not over the top beast PED takers. Possibly it's knee jerk. I'm genuinely curious too.

Not many females admit to using the roids. Of the ones I follow on IG, TWO of them have admitted that it was not all "natural" during prep phase. TWO out of HEAPS. You can see the difference between a natty athlete and a non-natty. Put them beside each other and the non-natty will just be bigger, leaner, veinier, more defined, more beastly looking. The natty one will look small and puny. SOME natty athletes with many years of training DO look big, but still... there is a difference.

The chicks in the still above? I wouldn't be able to tell from looking.

oh and plus, at least here in Australia anyway, some stuff is legal in the USA that is not legal here - so people can be using legal supplements there that might not be legal elsewhere.

Can anyone comment for sure that these ladies are on the juice?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,589 Member
    Anyone else feel sad for the powerlifter doing the crossfit giant set? Fish out of water, esp. on the rowing part

Y'know, anyone who's willing to take on a thing they don't do . . . I respect that. We all have our individual practices and goals. Anyone who's out there, putting it on the line, I respect . . . heck, anyone putting it on the line for what they do do gets my respect.

Fear makes me sad.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2019
    Well, they could have at least shown her the basic form first. She does have the expectation she isn't going to do well in the more sport based events...she is capable of doing so much better. She's my favorite to watch so far because she doesn't seem to take herself so seriously when she's out of her element
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Re: PEDS.

The weightlifter competes in USAW at an elite level and is on the national team.
    The body builder has competed in USAPL in 2017 at a local meet and nationals, and then at the 2018 Arnold.
    The powerlifter competes on the USAPL and I think is on the junior (20-23 year old) national team.
    The Crossfitter is a games athlete, but I don't really follow Crossfit so I'm unsure if she's a current competitor or not.

The USAW is the organization that sends weightlifters to the Olympics and they perform both in and out of competition testing by USADA.

I compete in the USAPL so I know most about their drug testing. They are the US body of the IPF which is a drug tested organization. They randomly test 10% of competitors at meets, and test top lifters randomly out of meet. If you're on the national team, competing at the Arnold, or they simply want you to then you have to fill out an "Athlete Locator Form" which gives them an hour every day where they can show up to test you, but they can also show up outside of that hour. If you have 3 missed tests in a 12 month period (either you don't fill out the ALF or you're not available during the test) then you receive a doping violation. They are very transparent about their testing and the results. All tests, results, and suspensions are publicly available. Dana Linn Baily (the body builder) was tested both at her meets and out of competition and passed. She is a previous Olympia winner, and many people assume she was using PED's during that time. When you compete in USAPL you state that you have not used PED's in 3 years before competing. She may have previously used PED's, but she was not using them while competing in the USAPL.

It's my understanding that Crossfit tests at competitions only, and they are not transparent about their testing. Occasionally they ban someone and announce it publicly. The lack of transparency and out of competition testing to me indicates that it's possible for them to use PED's and cycle off in time for the competition.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    I enjoyed watching their support for each other and seeing 4 badass women with different training focus give it their all. My biggest takeaway is that I feel old as dirt now. LOL I think only one of them was close to 30. The others are all college aged.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    So...DLB gets that big without Peds 😐
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,589 Member
    Well, they could have at least shown her the basic form first. She does have the expectation she isn't going to do well in the more sport based events...she is capable of doing so much better. She's my favorite to watch so far because she doesn't seem to take herself so seriously when she's out of her element

They all have some technique issues in the rowing segment. The crossfitter's wasting less motion, but isn't doing a full leg drive. Not being a metcon kind of person (I just row), I don't know whether she's doing it intentionally to save legs for box jumps or something, but she's giving up a strong chunk of the stroke at the start of the drive. (You'll see some of the comments on Youtube say the same thing, so I'm not the only one thinking that).

The other two aren't sequencing the drive ideally, either, so giving up length (which they can ill afford, being shorter to start with).

It would be fun to know their 500m rowing times; Brooke mentioned going for 1:55 on the first one, and it looked like she hit a little faster, maybe 1:52? After that, dunno. Wonder what her 3rd one was, since she planned to hit that one hard.

No way I could do what they do, obviously, I'm just armchair quarterbacking. ;)

Thanks for sharing that - fun to watch. :drinker: