10 pounds down, no difference?

Options
Hi all, so I started the Keto diet about 2-3 weeks ago and I’ve actually lost 10 pounds so far. The only thing is, I don’t notice any difference? I’m overweight, but not obese so I thought I would notice a small change. Anyone else go through this?

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    It's normal not to see or feel a difference, especially if there is a certain area of your body that is bothering you and that is not where most of the weight is coming off. Take pictures and measurements for comparison.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    You are not going to notice much of a difference over that short a period of time. When you start Keto, your body loses a lot of water weight from cutting out carbs. So most of what you have lost so far is likely to be water weight, not fat. It is going to take more than a couple of weeks to make a significant dent there. There's no quick fixes.

But even as you go on this journey, you're likely going to be the last one to notice the changes. I've lost almost 25 pounds, and I still don't really notice a difference. But my wife does. So just because you may not see it, it doesn't mean that others don't.
  • jeyman10
    jeyman10 Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    100% normal. I am overweight(again) but many years ago I lost around 60LB. I went from 220 to around 160. I am going to tell you, I did not notice my body changing till around the 195~200 mark and my family started to point it out at around the 10~15 LB mark. However I felt so much better even before that when I was clean eating.

I am even a higher weight then before(going to get myself back to under 200! ) and I am well aware that I myself wont see the difference as you said in the mirror right away. Its a long journey, and there are many benefits to the weight loss then just looking better.

Keep at it, others are going to notice is before you ever do. The big question I want you to ask yourself, are you starting to feel better in other ways?

Keep at it, it will show!

edit: I dont know if your doing this by just eating, working out or both. If you are doing both you will notice it faster as you gain some muscle as you loss the weight so a 10lb loss as you train might be more like a 15lb loss and so on. Regardless Keep at it, dropping the extra weight can only help you out in the long run.

• Fit2_T
    Fit2_T Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yes! I’m having the same experience. So a few weeks ago I took my measurements. And when I compared them this week I am down an inch in hips, waist and chest. My clothes are fitting better too. That is keeping me motivated. I’ve now lost 15 pounds and no one but me has noticed the difference and that’s okay. I feel so much better. Keep going! Good luck!
  • micaelacookie
    micaelacookie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    jeyman10 wrote: »
    100% normal. I am overweight(again) but many years ago I lost around 60LB. I went from 220 to around 160. I am going to tell you, I did not notice my body changing till around the 195~200 mark and my family started to point it out at around the 10~15 LB mark. However I felt so much better even before that when I was clean eating.

I am even a higher weight then before(going to get myself back to under 200! ) and I am well aware that I myself wont see the difference as you said in the mirror right away. Its a long journey, and there are many benefits to the weight loss then just looking better.

Keep at it, others are going to notice is before you ever do. The big question I want you to ask yourself, are you starting to feel better in other ways?

Keep at it, it will show!

edit: I dont know if your doing this by just eating, working out or both. If you are doing both you will notice it faster as you gain some muscle as you loss the weight so a 10lb loss as you train might be more like a 15lb loss and so on. Regardless Keep at it, dropping the extra weight can only help you out in the long run.

Oh well good luck to you!
    I’m mostly focused on what I’m eating right now with light at home exercise. I’m planning on upping my exercise level within the next week or so. I’m starting to feel a bit better physically though, so I’ll take that as a good sign!
  • jeyman10
    jeyman10 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh well good luck to you!
    I’m mostly focused on what I’m eating right now with light at home exercise. I’m planning on upping my exercise level within the next week or so. I’m starting to feel a bit better physically though, so I’ll take that as a good sign!

Thanks! and that is honestly the most important part, how you feel(to me anyways) . Keep at it, dropping 10 LB is an amazing start! and eating is the ruff part :( I wish you luck too!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It’s very helpful to take progress pics and body measurements.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Very normal. it takes a good 20pds before I actually SEE a difference. in fact more like 30 at one point. but then BAM i'll look in the mirror one day and see changes.

part of that is also mental. I still "see" myself as fat as I lived the majority of my life as obese. so while yes sometimes I see the difference, often enough I still see myself as "fat".
  • micaelacookie
    micaelacookie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Very normal. it takes a good 20pds before I actually SEE a difference. in fact more like 30 at one point. but then BAM i'll look in the mirror one day and see changes.

part of that is also mental. I still "see" myself as fat as I lived the majority of my life as obese. so while yes sometimes I see the difference, often enough I still see myself as "fat".

That’s very insightful, I’m sure I’ll end up feeling that way too as I’ve been big for as long as I can remember
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My eyes aren’t always the best judge. I physically measure my body with a cloth tape. It is hard to argue with facts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Progress pictures are good...changes are small and subtle and you look at yourself everyday, so they aren't going to be particularly noticeable. Also, ;people don't tend to lose weight in their problem areas first. A lot of my initial weight loss came from my appendages, so the first thing I noticed were things like my ring being looser, watch looser, necks on shirts fitting better, etc...but nothing was particularly noticeable when looking.

I didn't start seeing any significant changes in the mirror until my face started slimming and i started taking pictures.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I'm not doing keto, but I didn't really notice a visible difference until I lost about 20-25 lbs. And even still, it's not overly noticeable, but my clothes fit differently. You never know where fat will come off first, so it could be in a place where you just don't notice it a lot. Like my face lost weight first before anything else, but until I took an updated selfie, I had NO idea how puffy it was before. Take LOTS of pictures.
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 20. I was actually complaining to my husband when I hit 15 pounds lost that nothing had changed. Then he pointed out my feet looked thinner. I thought he was nuts. But then I slid my feet easily into a pair of Keds that didn't fit a year ago. So I guess I'm just losing it in awkward and strange places.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 20. I was actually complaining to my husband when I hit 15 pounds lost that nothing had changed. Then he pointed out my feet looked thinner. I thought he was nuts. But then I slid my feet easily into a pair of Keds that didn't fit a year ago. So I guess I'm just losing it in awkward and strange places.

Oh yeah I forgot about that one! My shoes actually do feel loose. It's so strange. My feet didn't look puffy to me before lol