Now Im really confused

Options
ladybug4233
ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
edited March 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
So I been using this site for a while but never took the time to do the calculations based on this chart. I just did it numerous times and I keep coming up with a higher number than MFP does. So I was wondering if someone could figure out why.

My weight is 128 pounds which is 58kg
My height is 5'3'' which is 160 in cm
My age is 47 which times 5 is 235.

I am lightly active (9,000-10,000 non exercise steps)
I am set to loose .5 a week

I come up with 1640 and MFP gives me 1410.

Thanks for helping me.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/editor/xl/ogmrf792070w.jpg6ev9n9irbfdb.png

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What do you mean you're coming up with a higher number? You'll have to share how you're arriving at that number, otherwise we can't tell what you're taking into account.
  • ladybug4233
    Options
    Im sorry I was having trouble pasting the chart.
  • ladybug4233
    Options
    Oops I think I noticed my error. I was using the male info. Let me try again.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    How are you calculating this yourself? Your attachment doesn't show. I am not sure what you are doing with your age by multiplying it by 5?

Here is how MFP comes up with your goal: Your BMR as calculated by your stats is 1,185 calories. Your activity multiplier for being lightly active is 1.4. 1185 * 1.4 is 1659, which is what MFP says your non-exercise maintenance is. Take away 250 from that (1/2 pound per week) and its 1410.

ETA: Now that I see your chart, I understand what you were using in the first category. It appears that your error was using the male but not the female stats. The female stats puts your BMR at 1184, so it matches up pretty exactly.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I got 1657 for your NEAT. To lose .5 lbs per week, subtract 250 calories. 1407 calories.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    One thing to note. You said you get at least 9,000 steps/day. That’s definitely more than “lightly active.” I would call that “active” or even “very active.”
  • ladybug4233
    edited March 2019
    Options
    One thing to note. You said you get at least 9,000 steps/day. That’s definitely more than “lightly active.” I would call that “active” or even “very active.”

I did and my weight loss was stalled to I recorded my numbers and according to my Apple Watch it equals 100-250 extra calories a day but not 250 consistently so I changed it to lightly active and will use the extra if I need it. I think if I was near 13,000 to 14,000 I could change to active but I can't get that consistently.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,665 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    You're active, not lightly, by most activity factor definitions

Whether your logging and weight loss reflect that... that's another story
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

I did and my weight loss was stalled to I recorded my numbers and according to my Apple Watch it equals 100-250 extra calories a day but not 250 consistently so I changed it to lightly active and will use the extra if I need it. I think if I was near 13,000 to 14,000 I could change to active but I can't get that consistently.

To add to what I suggested above, using myself as an example. I have my profile set to “very active.” My daily steps are anywhere from 10,000-20,000/day, depending on the day, and most days I still get “extra” calories added to my log. Sometimes I eat them, sometimes I don’t, but it hasn’t adversely affected my weight loss. How are you logging your food? Are you weighing, using cups and spoons, eyeballing?
  • ladybug4233
    Options
    I've heard of people being dishonest about their heights, weights and so on to get more calories....are you sure you're not lying about your age? 47? I thought you were in your late teens. Good luck. :tongue:

Ha! I promise I’m 47. Did you think I was younger based on my picture? People always tell me I look at least 10-15 years younger. My husband jokes that people are going to think he is my dad when we go out. Ha! He is actually a year younger. My 15 year old almost 16 is definitely aging me!

• ladybug4233
    Options

To add to what I suggested above, using myself as an example. I have my profile set to “very active.” My daily steps are anywhere from 10,000-20,000/day, depending on the day, and most days I still get “extra” calories added to my log. Sometimes I eat them, sometimes I don’t, but it hasn’t adversely affected my weight loss. How are you logging your food? Are you weighing, using cups and spoons, eyeballing? [/quote]

Thanks for acknowledging my work! I use a food scale and use cups and spoons for liquids. I weigh and log every single item.