An Egg A Day

Options
I eat an egg every morning but I notice it takes most of my cholesterol for the day. With lunch I usually overpass my cholesterol max or am close to passing it.
Should I let the egg go?
I love my egg.

Replies

• biggiwig4483
    biggiwig4483 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat about 2 to 3 eggs a day. My cholesterol level is perfect. Wouldn’t worry.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Recent research has shown that dietary cholesterol has less of an effect on blood cholesterol levels than thought. There is really no direct connection. Rather, high blood cholesterol is connected to obesity, high amounts of saturated fats, and other health markers. Keep your egg a day.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Research said eggs play no roll in raising cholesterol. Eat your egg!
    I never follow cholesterol.....maybe if I ate a t-bone steak and pork bacon on a daily basis.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I eat more eggs now than ever, maybe 10 per week and my cholesterol is better now than when I didnt eat eggs.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Most people experience no effect from dietary cholesterol. Unless yours is high and you are told to try cutting down to see if it helps, it probably does not matter. I ate 2 eggs most days (12/week) and had zero negative effects (at least my cholesterol was great, even better than when I was eating far fewer eggs and oats for breakfast, although there were some other differences too).
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add that the only thing that lowered my cholesterol was weight loss. It dropped 80 points. My diet didn't really change. I just ate less.
  • fcanad
    fcanad Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Some of my reading has said dietary sugar has more influence than dietary cholesterol? Anyone else seen this or can vouch?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Man. I've never seen a food go back and forth between hero and villain like eggs. One minute they're the secret to longevity and the next they're a demon spawn that will kill you in your sleep.

I can sum up people's opinion of eggs in one word: MARKETING
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    fcanad wrote: »
    Some of my reading has said dietary sugar has more influence than dietary cholesterol? Anyone else seen this or can vouch?

Dietary cholesterol has little effect for most people (there are exceptions). What is more likely to be an issue is sat fat (although again it varies by person).

A diet high in added sugar (and refined carbs in general) might well have bad effect too. See: https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/sugar-intake-raise-cholesterol-levels-4101.html

The 2014 JAMA article mentioned is about ADDED sugar, not sugar in general (there's no indication that a diet high in nutrient-dense carbs or fruit and veg is bad for you): https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/1819573

Unfortunately, there's a lot of stuff out there that goes way further and makes claims that are not supported in order to promote anti carb arguments. I'd be skeptical.

Here's something relatively even-handed: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2012/06/21/ask-the-expert-healthy-fats/
  • whitelightning2018
    whitelightning2018 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat 12-18 eggs a day and my blood pressures great