Jogging on a treadmill/outside?

Options
fickleee
fickleee Posts: 43 Member
So for some reason, I decided to try and jog outside today because the weather was warmer. As soon as I got out, one minute-two minutes in I already got tired and could barely keep up! I don’t have this happen when I’m jogging on my treadmill (5.5, jog for forty minutes with short breaks and burn around 430-465 calories). I decided to head back home and just go to the gym later during the day and just do my muscle workouts instead.

Can someone tell me why this may be? Thanks.

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I find the treadmill much easier. No wind, no weather at all, no incline or decline unless you want it, not running on concrete or asphalt.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Don't do what I did.. run on treadmill .. by the time I had to do endurance test(outdoor). Yikes .. almost failed.. 😣
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am blessed to live in an area that has good weather and plenty of local trails. We've had a lot of rain and mud but I just accept the challenge. I know sometimes it is not possible to run outside (safety, weather or health). But, I'd recommend outside running if at all possible.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I also find the treadmill is easier. The belt is moving for you, you dont have to propel your body weight over distance.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The outdoors has variables that a treadmill does not; therefore forcing you to expend more energy to compensate for those variables. As others have mentioned too, you're also have a belt moving for you and possibility of zero incline versus being outside.

Make no mistake though, you can transition back and forth between both given time. Just don't force yourself to run at the same pace you run on a treadmill. Go out slow and build up to it. Trying to push yourself to run as fast as you have been on the treadmill could force unintentional injury by ramping up too quickly, but you can get there. :smile:

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I had this same thing happen when I went from treadmill to outdoor running.
    It was explained to me that when jogging on the treadmill there is a set of muscles that aren't trained. On the treadmill, we train to run in one spot and not propel ourselves forward. On the road we have to propel ourselves forward. Those muscles need to develop when making the transition to the outdoors.
    Plus, as stated above, there's the issue with the outdoors not being flat. That up/down requires some adjustment, too. It is a good idea to have a slight incline on the treadmill to accomodate that.
    The treadmill will always be easier because it's a bit static in that one just runs at an even pace with no wind resistance, no changes in slope, no forward movement.
    The outdoors will always be the best runs because of the movement, the scenery, the people, the fresh air, the challenges. It's just alot of fun.
    Keep running outdoors and your outside time & distance will catch up in a few weeks. You will feel that you're backtracking but you're not.

Don't give up. Keep running. Your doing great!

• Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Outside whenever possible, treadmills are dreadful
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    fickleee wrote: »
    So for some reason, I decided to try and jog outside today because the weather was warmer. As soon as I got out, one minute-two minutes in I already got tired and could barely keep up! I don’t have this happen when I’m jogging on my treadmill (5.5, jog for forty minutes with short breaks and burn around 430-465 calories). I decided to head back home and just go to the gym later during the day and just do my muscle workouts instead.

Can someone tell me why this may be? Thanks.

It’s a little harder at first to run outside if you’ve gotten used to the treadmill. The reverse is also true.

Push through it and you will adjust!!! Don’t give up and go home! Run a bit and then walk a bit at first if you need to. It might be that you’re out of the habit of regulating your own pace. You might have been pushing yourself a bit harder than you thought at first. Next time, go for a really slow pace and enjoy the scenery! Hills can also be a factor. But your body will adapt to the challenge.

I’m training for a half and I’ve had to run on the treadmill for the last 10 or so weeks because we haven’t had a break from the snow, ice, and sub-zero temperatures. I finally got out yesterday, too, and made it through a six-miler. So much fun after the boring old race to nowhere. But boy am I sore today! It’s good, though, well worth the adjustment pains!

The free app Runtastic uses GPS to track your run and will give you your average running speed broken down by each mile. That might be helpful for getting feedback on your pace.

Good luck!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Outside preferably, but a lot of snow and ice this year (and it’s not going away anytime soon) so treadmill until the weather improves ☹️
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite...I've been using the treadmill and struggling, but yesterday I went outside and ran the longest time yet and took less breaks. Everyone is different.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Outside preferably, but a lot of snow and ice this year (and it’s not going away anytime soon) so treadmill until the weather improves ☹️
    busyPK wrote: »
    I'm the opposite...I've been using the treadmill and struggling, but yesterday I went outside and ran the longest time yet and took less breaks. Everyone is different.

Same for both. I have more trouble going any distance on the treadmill, but the snow just won't go away. 5K is about the most I can get to on the treadmill and can do 20k outside. It's all in my head, but I hate the TM.