Fingers Swelling during activity

Options
I just went for a 30 minute power walk/jog for the first time in a LONG time. I am 5'6 and weigh 172#s. At about minute 20 my hands started to swell and by minute 25 they were unbearable. My hands have always swelled a bit when i've been on my feet for a long time but NEVER like this. They were so swollen that the color behind my nails was completely white (like when you put pressure on your nail).

Does anyone know what causes this and how to help prevent it from happening?

Replies

• voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You swing your arms. The blood collects/pools in your hands.

Don't do that anymore. Problem solved:)
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My hands swell too when I walk... I was just wondering about this yesterday...
  • ksmarathon2010
    Options
    I have that trouble when I walk with my arms not bent at the elbow. I do distance walking (half marathons and marathons) and it happens to me all the time.
  • abg0220
    abg0220 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Mine do this too....I'm curious.
  • ferdes
    ferdes Posts: 1
    Options
    Keep your hands at waist level, (bend at elbow) and every so often move your fingers to make sure you are not holding them tightly or in a fist. This should help.
  • Whitneylol
    Whitneylol Posts: 244
    Options
    I thought I was just a freak! My skinny friend's hands don't do this! When I walk or anything for a period of time I keep my arms bent at my waist and power walk, that seems to help or at least lessen the effects :)
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Your hands and feet swell up during strenuos activity... and it's normal.... and please do not stop swinging your arms =) My hands always swell up and I wear 1/2 size larger shoe to allow for that to happen.
  • kittrelle
    Options
    Mine do that too, when I run. It makes it hard to even make a fist! It freaked me out til I asked my high schooler (a distance runner) about it. It said yeah they swell!! That's why I leave my class ring off when I run!! Well excuuuuuuuuuuuse me!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've noticed it's much worse when it's hot and/or humid out too. I find it's better when I swing my arms with elbows bent. A friend I walk with sometimes will even move her fingers as she walks in that same sort of gesture you use to mean someone's talking too much (like a duck bill). Seems to help keep the blood flowing nicely so you don't get so much pressure in the areas that aren't being exercised. I think it also helps to make sure you have the right posture - abs in, shoulders back (but down and relaxed).
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My hands always swell up and I wear 1/2 size larger shoe to allow for that to happen.

Are the shoes so you dont hurt your palms while running on all four's? :tongue:
  • mrspenton2009
    mrspenton2009 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can suggest is that you constantly move your arms while walking. If you have fist made, try relaxing your hands.

Sorry about the discomfort honey!
  • Fit4sure
    Fit4sure Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do it, too. Ditto what other's have said about keeping arms above a certain level. When I walk long miles (more than 7 or so miles), I have to take off my wedding rings as they swell too much. During 3-day for the cure...they were QUITE swollen! It took several days for them to return to normal (3-Days...60 miles)
  • NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have found the following help;

*Stretch, stretch, stretch - before, during & after exercise.
    *Drink a 1/2 a Gatorade prior to exercise.
    *Remember finger tip range of motion from CNA classes? (Thumb to pinky, thumb to ring, etc) Do that while you're walking.
    *Every once in a while, in the middle of your run, reach up to the sky as high as you can!
    *Be a true power-walker! You are wasting potential calorie loss by just letting your arms dangle at your sides! Bend your elbows and let your hands help push you along! You might look retarded but who really gives a ****! =)