Critique my Workout Regiment and Make Suggestions Please!

Options
2»

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Is there a benefit to doing the full body exercise 3 days instead of the muscle group exercises as I'm doing now, considering the conditioning that is taking place? I'm assuming 30 pounds from now, I'd have to take up a lot of these exercises again, is it not beneficial? Like am I gonna overwork them or something?

You said the following in reply to my earlier question: "Right now it's to make sure at the very least that I don't lose any muscle as I lose weight, and general conditioning and strengthening until I'm actually in the position to gain real muscle,"

Best way not to lose muscle is to work and challenge the muscle, lifting heavier loads, in my opinion. The barbell exercises I suggested are compound movements that work multiples muscles. You'll work your triceps doing bench press and overhead press work. You'll work your biceps doing the row work. The deadlifts will work your traps so that shrugs aren't necessary. The squats and deadlifts speak for themselves as far as their contribution to your overall muscular development and retention while losing weight.

You didn't mention that you had bodybuilding goals which is different than the goals you stated.

As far as conditioning goes, you mentioned "general conditioning". A good 30 minute brisk walk three times a week should help you meet this goal. Now, if you were like me and had conditioning goals beyond general conditioning, I would have a different answer for you.

This is my two cents. I'm not a personal trainer but I am my own coach and draw from my experience. You mileage may vary. Good luck and be safe.

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Given your stated goals, I think your workout is too busy. I’d favor barbell work of compound lifts and skip the isolation work. Assuming you have no limitations, I’d include bench press, overhead press, Pendlay rows, squats and trap bar deadlifts, 3 sets of 6-10 reps, 3 times a week. I’d walk also on other days.

After three months, I’d make an assessment and go back to the drawing board.

Is there a benefit to doing the full body exercise 3 days instead of the muscle group exercises as I'm doing now, considering the conditioning that is taking place? I'm assuming 30 pounds from now, I'd have to take up a lot of these exercises again, is it not beneficial? Like am I gonna overwork them or something?

Yes there is, which is why most beginner programs are 3 day/week full body routines, with less exercises, and focus on compound movements. doing that you hit each major muscle group 3 times per week, as opposed to once or twice.

Your routine is more geared towards bodybuilding, which is most beneficially when done with the aid of performance-enhancing drugs... since bodybuilding isn't your goal, a full body 3 times/week will more likely meet your objectives.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Looks like a bit much for somebody who has only lifted a couple months.

I would condense down quite a bit as you can really do without leg curls, shrugs, dips or tri push downs, one of the rows, a couple of the abs.

It's not that you can't utilize them all, its just the stimulus needed to accomplish any goal at your experience is going to be low. It would be better off to save some volume for later.

Think long term.

Edited to add: I also like to see this programming reflect more positive load management.

Whoops, missed this one. This site needs a better notification system. I looked up positive load management, are you just talking about not overworking the body?

Good load management includes the external loads(load or useful stress actually from the barbell) and internal loads(fatigue, life issues, etc...non useful stress outside of training).

Regulation of both are important for long term successful training.

...I'm ordering protein. Here's hoping that helps with the sadness inside.
  • Spadesheart
    Options

You said the following in reply to my earlier question: "Right now it's to make sure at the very least that I don't lose any muscle as I lose weight, and general conditioning and strengthening until I'm actually in the position to gain real muscle,"

Best way not to lose muscle is to work and challenge the muscle, lifting heavier loads, in my opinion. The barbell exercises I suggested are compound movements that work multiples muscles. You'll work your triceps doing bench press and overhead press work. You'll work your biceps doing the row work. The deadlifts will work your traps so that shrugs aren't necessary. The squats and deadlifts speak for themselves as far as their contribution to your overall muscular development and retention while losing weight.

You didn't mention that you had bodybuilding goals which is different than the goals you stated.

As far as conditioning goes, you mentioned "general conditioning". A good 30 minute brisk walk three times a week should help you meet this goal. Now, if you were like me and had conditioning goals beyond general conditioning, I would have a different answer for you.

This is my two cents. I'm not a personal trainer but I am my own coach and draw from my experience. You mileage may vary. Good luck and be safe.

Ah, well I mean looking good naked someday is definitely up there hahaha

I appreciate your input, I'm honestly curious to learn how to best move forward. I hope I'm not just sounding like I'm challenging what you're saying! Clearly you have more experience than I do.

I've gotten used to one or two parts of me hurting at a time, gonna be weird to try to make all of me hurt at once. Or should I not be sore? I was under the impression that that was an important part of it.
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Given your stated goals, I think your workout is too busy. I’d favor barbell work of compound lifts and skip the isolation work. Assuming you have no limitations, I’d include bench press, overhead press, Pendlay rows, squats and trap bar deadlifts, 3 sets of 6-10 reps, 3 times a week. I’d walk also on other days.

Yes there is, which is why most beginner programs are 3 day/week full body routines, with less exercises, and focus on compound movements. doing that you hit each major muscle group 3 times per week, as opposed to once or twice.

Your routine is more geared towards bodybuilding, which is most beneficially when done with the aid of performance-enhancing drugs... since bodybuilding isn't your goal, a full body 3 times/week will more likely meet your objectives.

This makes a lot of sense. I have a quick related question.

I'm ordering protein tonight. I've been reading that even while cutting, it is possible to build muscle so long as protein consumption is somewhere close to 1-1.5 grams per pound. For me, this would amount to adding about 400 extra calories in protein powder, which is totally possible even within my goals, while losing 2 pounds a week.

Is this possible? I was going to wait until I was at my goal weight to try to build actual muscle, but if I could build some over the next 3 months while I'm losing all this weight, that'd be pretty amazing.
  • jamesdlynn6371
    jamesdlynn6371 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Look up Ross Dickerson on YouTube and follow his work out plans. I have been for a few weeks and they get you jacked up!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I'm ordering protein tonight. I've been reading that even while cutting, it is possible to build muscle so long as protein consumption is somewhere close to 1-1.5 grams per pound. For me, this would amount to adding about 400 extra calories in protein powder, which is totally possible even within my goals, while losing 2 pounds a week.

Is this possible? I was going to wait until I was at my goal weight to try to build actual muscle, but if I could build some over the next 3 months while I'm losing all this weight, that'd be pretty amazing.

You may be able to build a little bit of muscle in a deficit, but that wont be much, unless you are really overweight, run a good program and get adequate protein. typically the goal is to maintain muscle while in a deficit. That amount of protein may be overkill.

if you don't know your BF% a good goal is 0.8 grams of protein per lb of goal weight, as a minimum.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,476 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    Personally I would look at adding some dumbell exercises, only because I know that I have imbalances and using dumbells is slowly improving this. I don't currently have leg days as I'm in the final stages of marathon training, but I break upper body in to 2 workouts.

Monday is shoulders and arms and my main lift is barbell shoulder press which I'm currently doing as a pyramid with the starting (and finishing) weight getting ever so slightly heavier each week.

I then also do barbell bicep curls before moving on to accessories.

Dumbbell shoulder press
    Skull crushers (with dumbells)
    Lateral raises
    Front raises (with a twist)
    Tricep extentions
    Rotator cuff work
    Dumbbell bicep or hammer curl (I alternate them each week)
    Each of these I do 3 sets of 10 with a weight that is challenging and if I can complete without having to push the last couple reps I go up a weight.

Thursdays I do chest and back with barbell bench being my main lift, do a pyramid again but am also working on upping my 1rpm on this lift so do extra lifts at a higher weight. Accessories are

Close grip barbell bench
    Incline dumbell chest press
    Decline dumbell chest press
    Pull ups (assisted)
    Single arm row
    Lat pull down
    Farmers walk.

Don't skip leg day.
  • Spadesheart
    Options

You may be able to build a little bit of muscle in a deficit, but that wont be much, unless you are really overweight, run a good program and get adequate protein. typically the goal is to maintain muscle while in a deficit. That amount of protein may be overkill.

if you don't know your BF% a good goal is 0.8 grams of protein per lb of goal weight, as a minimum.

Assuming 60 grams per day normally with just regular food, with a 190 goal weight and 30 pounds to go, that would mean I would need another 92 grams of protein... About 4 scoops. 480-500 calories. It's doable, like half to one third of my intake, but doable. I'm going to need more creative uses of protein powder. I'll make some bars or something.