Body Dysmorphia

Options
travelerscode
travelerscode Posts: 24 Member
Who else struggles with it? When I was in 4th and 5th grade and attended a private school, I was a little chunker and got made fun of relentlessly for it. Ever since those days I've struggled to see my body in a good light, even at the times I've been at single digit body fat. I know in my head I'm healthy, I get compliments when I'm shirtless at the pool, but in the mirror I still see that fat kid. Anyone else fighting this fight?

Replies

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
  • AnnieH_4512
    AnnieH_4512 Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I say this all the time; my brain has not caught up yet with my body. I know my body looks significantly better than it used to, my brain’s just lagging behind in the process of actually seeing what’s really there.
  • ButterIsGood
    ButterIsGood Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I think I suffer from this. My parents always talk to me about my weight.. Starting back to when I was like 6. So even tho I'm working on myself and improving, I still struggle with all these thoughts about how awful I look even when people compliment me
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Still struggling with this. Making progress, but it’s slow.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    A little bit, I prefer to be light and don’t like being being above 65kg. I kind of like being able see my ribs and abs too. But don’t want to be buff. I never had bigorexia and a desire to get swole. The weight thing is sometimes an issue in cycling and running circles.

I was never obese or overweight but a lot of my family are/were.
  • SarahAmyBaby18
    SarahAmyBaby18 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    SAME struggled with restricting etc (ana) thought I could change n now I'm here a few years down the line and I can't leave the house sometime cause I feel that disgusting and fat.
  • Glazed_and_Confused
    Glazed_and_Confused Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I never stopped seeing me at my heaviest, even when I lost 100 lbs. My parents were terrible about my weight since I was like 7 and they way they talked about my weight became out I thought about myself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I was always rail thin growing up and lanky. When I was getting fat in my 30s one of the reasons I just let it go on was that I always saw the rail thin kid even though I was just over the line of obese.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I always thought I was too big. Even when I wore a size 2, certain family members told me I should lose weight. Looking back on old pics i realize how crazy that was. Now, I see myself as healthy and medium sized although other people may disagree.
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    Whats it called when you’re pretty sure you look better than you really do? I suffer from that 😅

I adore you!!

And for real, have you witnessed "good mirrors and bad ones"?
    It's a thing, I'm certain
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    Whats it called when you’re pretty sure you look better than you really do? I suffer from that 😅

I adore you!!

And for real, have you witnessed "good mirrors and bad ones"?
    It's a thing, I'm certain

They’re all bad when you think you’re still the same size you were in high school
  • como_agua1
    como_agua1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i had a mother who dieted for as long as i can remember, which came from her history being a ballet dancer. she had a difficult childhood and i think that translated into her attitude toward me. when i started dancing i never felt i was skinny enough or good enough. she always said i had a *unique* type of pretty. *which made me feel marginalized* this was when i had a face full of acne, no boobs, no butt, no hips. i always felt ugly in her eyes as she was such a beautiful woman. there are times i revert back to this mindset tbh
  • como_agua1
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    When I was younger I always thought I was too big. Even when I wore a size 2, certain family members told me I should lose weight. Looking back on old pics i realize how crazy that was. Now, I see myself as healthy and medium sized although other people may disagree.

@nooshi713 i'm glad you've grown so much Nooshi. what anyone else thinks is not relevant. kudos to you <3
  • como_agua1
    Options
    @Vikka_V i've done the same kinda edit - it's all good Lady *hug*
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    como_agua1 wrote: »
    @Vikka_V i've done the same kinda edit - it's all good Lady *hug*

Thank you ❤️