Zucchini recipes anyone?

Options
ShannyB9
ShannyB9 Posts: 7 Member
I have a huge green zucchini that a friend at work gave to me today. It's 14" long and 11" circumference so it's quite large. I am planning on having it for dinner tonight and was wondering if anyone has any low calorie zucchini recipes to share with me?

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    that's a crazy zucchini!

I like to grate zucchini and pan-fry with a teeny bit of olive oil and lots of lemon.

If you have a mandolin or "spirooli," you can sub it for pasta. Sounds weird but it's super good. No cooking needed as whatever sauce you use will soften the spirals up enough.
  • babygu24
    babygu24 Posts: 10
    Options
    I've heard of Zucchini Brownies! I haven't made any yet, but i hear that you can't even taste the zucchini and their healthier too. Google it!!! :happy:
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I love zucchini!!! BUMP!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    If have enough for a salad tomorrow I have made sliced zucchini, tomatoes chopped, corn, red onion and add a viniagrette: homemade or store bought. Season to your liking.
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Great recipes....
    skinnytaste.com
    eatingwell.com
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I like to use a mandolin to cut the zuchini into strips.

I then cook it in a pan with red peppers, onions, and mushrooms. (don't over cook them you want the zuchinni pretty firm)

Add classico spicy red pepper sauce (or your favorite red pasta sauce) and some chicken.

Pretty darn delicious and 400 calories for a large serving
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    Im going to try this recipe tomorrow:

Ricotta Stuffed Squash

Servings: 8

Ingredients:
    8 yellow squash
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 (10 ounce) package frozen
    chopped spinach, thawed
    2 eggs
    2 cups ricotta cheese

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh
    parsley
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
    1 pinch ground black pepper
    1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
    Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    2. Trim off ends of squash; cut squash in half (lengthwise). With a teaspoon scoop out seeds and part of the pulp leaving shells about 1/2 inch thick. Steam squash shells over boiling water until crisp-tender (about 5 minutes). Plunge into cold water, drain well and set aside.
    3. In a small frying pan over medium heat, melt one tablespoon of the butter. Add onion and garlic and cook until they are done. Squeeze the spinach to remove extra moisture and add to the garlic and onion and cook until thoroughly heated.
    4. In a medium size mixing bowl, combine eggs, ricotta, Parmesan, parsley, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and spinach mixture. Fill the squash halves with this mixture, about three tablespoons per shell and place squash in a shallow baking dish. Melt the remaining butter and brush over the squash shells
    5. Bake for 20 minutes. If desired, serve with tomato sauce.

Nutrition
    Information
    Servings Per Recipe: 8
    Calories: 270

Amount Per Serving

Total Fat: 12.9g
    Cholesterol: 84mg
    Sodium: 712mg

Amount Per Serving

Total Carbs: 25.6g
    Dietary Fiber: 5.9g
    Protein: 15.3g
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    OMG I just made this the other night:

http://kelseysappleaday.blogspot.com/2011/07/zucchini-boats.html

Holy freakin deliciousness, Batman! Like seriously. Wow. It ended up being 489 cal per serving, but I didn't use any low-cal or reduced fat options. Almost all of the fattiness of mine came from the Bob Evans Italian Pork Sausage that I used. But that could easily be swapped out for a lean ground turkey.

We used one large zucchini, and it made enough for us (the BF and I) two eat it two nights in a row.

If that doesn't strike your fancy, then look through Food Gawker for ideas.

http://foodgawker.com/?s=zucchini&cat=0
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I like to saute red onions with zucchini and tomatoes - I don't really use a recipe, I just throw in the onions with some olive oil, cook them for a few minutes, add the zucchini, cook them for a few more minutes, and then add a can of no salt added diced tomatoes (fresh would work as well). It makes a tasty sauce for whole wheat pasta or brown rice.

I also like to make stuffed zucchini. I cut them in half and then scoop out the middle, fill with a ground beef/rice/tomato/onion mixture and bake it in the oven. You can do a veg version as well.

Basic Meat Stuffing for Armenian Dolmas (makes enough for 8 medium tomatoes, 8 medium bell peppers, or 8 large squash halves):

1 c. cooked brown rice
    1/2 lb. ground lamb or beef
    1 medium yellow or white onion, finely chopped
    1/2 c. fresh flat-leaf parsley
    2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
    1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
    3/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 c. tomato paste
    1 tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Preheat oven to 350. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and knead with your hands to mix. Spread the veggies in the bottom of a baking dish in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fill the veggies with the stuffing without packing too tightly so there's room for it to expand during cooking. Replace the caps on tomatoes and peppers. Cover the dish. Bake until the zucchini and tomato bed is bubbling and the veggies are soft, 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size of the veggies. Serve right away.

From Victoria Jenanyan Wise's The Armenian Table.

I don't have nutritional info for either dish.
  • Carmendu
    Carmendu Posts: 409
    Options
    I make a zucchini pizza that is really good or so I think. You use a bowl that can hold at least 2 qts. or more. Cut the zucchini thinly lengthwise. Put a layer at the bottom of the baking dish. Put a layer of cooked hamburger and then a layer of pizza sauce. Do this 2 or 3 times. Top it off with mozzerella cheese. Put it in the oven at 350 degrees and bake for about 30 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.

I really love this recipe. It's easy and doesn't take much time. Hope you enjoy this.
  • dietonthego
    dietonthego Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Slice one eggplant ,the zucchini, and an onion with some garlic.Saute everything in olive oil.Add some tomatoe sauce and cover until all the vegetables get soft.Throw it over whole wheat pasta with some grated cheese.Enjoy!
  • Aprilstar480
    Aprilstar480 Posts: 2,910 Member
    Options
    Seafood Stuffed Zucchini

4 zucchini, halved lengthwise
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 pound cooked crabmeat, diced
    1/2 pound cooked salad shrimp
    2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. With a large spoon, scoop out the centers of each zucchini half, reserving the meat.
    3. In a large bowl, mix about 1/2 the reserved zucchini meat, the egg, crabmeat, shrimp, and garlic. Blend lime juice and lemon juice into the mixture, and stir in the Italian seasoned bread crumbs. Season with oregano, basil, and pepper.
    4. Arrange the zucchini halves in a medium baking dish. Generously stuff the halves with the crabmeat and shrimp mixture.
    5. Bake 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Remove from heat, cool slightly, and top with cheese. Return to the oven, and broil 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 197 | Total Fat: 6.5g | Cholesterol: 116mgPowered by ESHA Nutrient Database
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    We love zucchini - and I finally got my kids to eat it now.......

I don't do anything fancy - just cut up into slices and mix with a tablespoon or two of oil and add seasonings (I use a seasoning mixture to taste of garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, chili powder, oregano, rosemary, cayenne pepper, cumin, paprika) toss in oil with seasoning mixture and bake on nonstick sheet in oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350 degrees.

Delicious :-)
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    last big zuchinni I had I used a mandolin to slice in long strips and used the strips instead of pasta for lasagna. Bulked it up some with some ground califlower. Different, messy, but very VERY tasty. Need to try it again with more veggies to see how pretty I can make the layers.
  • ShannyB9
    ShannyB9 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the recipes, they all sound so good that it's hard to decide. Looks like i'm eating zucchini all week! YUM :)
  • KStephanie
    Options
    I pulled a yellow squash out of my garden today, so I made this: http://southernfood.about.com/od/summersquash/r/bl50727f.htm. It was great!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm putting zucchini as a topping on a whole wheat pizza tonight. YUM.