Can it be that simple?

Options
Disclaimer: Habitual starter

I feel so overwhelmed, I feel like I spend so much time reading about how to lose weight and be healthy. Keto, Intermittent Fasting, etc...trying to find the perfect "lifestyle" (aka diet). How many people lost weight with just calorie counting, (eating carbs, sugar, alcohol, whatever) and exercise? Good old fashion calories in/calories out? Can it really be that easy and be a success?

Replies

• lulehlu
    lulehlu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes, that’s how I lost my weight. It’s hard at times. It’s boring at times. Sonetimes you want the damn cookie. But if you eat in a deficit, you will lose fat. Get a food scale and read up in water weight.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's been my focus from the start. Over time, as I've learned what foods keep me fuller and give me more energy, I've paid attention to getting enough protein, iron, and fiber. But for weight loss, it all comes down to calories. The other stuff? How I avoid feeling hungry and deprived while not eating as much as I want of everything I want.
  • janalo55
    janalo55 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Deb_140 wrote: »

I feel so overwhelmed, I feel like I spend so much time reading about how to lose weight and be healthy. Keto, Intermittent Fasting, etc...trying to find the perfect "lifestyle" (aka diet). How many people lost weight with just calorie counting, (eating carbs, sugar, alcohol, whatever) and exercise? Good old fashion calories in/calories out? Can it really be that easy and be a success?

• janalo55
    janalo55 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 104. Had 4 thin mints yesterday. But I counted them, along with everything else. All of my food is limited, compared to the old me. But I haven’t cut OUT anything.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Check out the Success Stories and Maintaining Weight forums for inspiration. Plenty of people lose weight and keep it off by simply counting calories. I'm one of them :)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

I've lost, bulked and maintained just by manipulating my calories.

I eat a balanced diet without excluding any foods I want. Nutrition is important, but it's calories that determine weight.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

regardless of WHAT or HOW you eat, you need to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. so you can IF or Keto all you want but if you are not in a calorie deficit you won't lose weight. And the only way most of us can ensure to be eating at a calorie deficit is to count caloriest. the only disclaimer is some can "naturally" stay in a calorie deficit without counting in those styles of eating but i would say not many.

it's that simple but it's not EASY.
  • Clarice_Phillips_2019
    Clarice_Phillips_2019 Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I eat anything i want including pizza, hamburgers, ice cream etc as long as it's within my 1200 calories and i have been losing steadily. I have also done keto and intermittent fasting with great success, but im losing just as fast eating what i like vs extremely low carbs. Key is moderation and accurate tracking.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,071 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about the calories.

Are calories the only thing that's important? IMO, no. It's:

Appropriate calories for weight management + balanced, well-rounded eating for good nutrition (with a few treats now and then for joy) + fun exercise for fitness = best odds of long term good health and good appearance

. . . and long term good health/appearance are what most of us want, right? :)

Best wishes!