How many extra calories for maintenance?

Options
I eat 1500-1550 cal for weight loss, am quite active but still haven't figured out how many calories per day to add to maintain my weight. I'd like to hear what other people do. Thanks.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500-1550 cal for weight loss, am quite active but still haven't figured out how many calories per day to add to maintain my weight. I'd like to hear what other people do. Thanks.

How much are you losing per week on 1500 cals?
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    250 cals for every 0.5lb a week your losing on average
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I can lose about 1 lb a week eating 1500-1550 cal a day with my current activity level.

Thanks Angelsja, so I can then add about 500 cal a day and still maintain my weight?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I can lose about 1 lb a week eating 1500-1550 cal a day with my current activity level.

Thanks Angelsja, so I can then add about 500 cal a day and still maintain my weight?

Then you can add 500 cals. Enjoy!!
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    1lb a week is a 500 cal a day deficit so yes you should be able to add 500 and maintain you will see a initial bump in the scale if you go straight from 1500-2000 though due to increased food in your system and water weight or you can increase gradually
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Thanks again to both of you for your feedback. I really appreciate it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    That 500 should be about right, but some people find that their energy level rebounds a bit at increased calories, resulting in a higher than expected maintenance. Not universal, but something to know about just in case.

Also, as stated, adding calories back to get to maintenance can result in a scale jump of a few points, especially if added in one jump, from glycogen replenishment (i.e., water weight) and higher average digestive system contents. Since it's not fat, nothing to be worried about, but good to be aware.

More discussion about maintenance-finding strategies in this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638211/how-to-find-your-maintenance-calorie-level/p1