How Do I Stop Cravings?

Options
I would say that I'm generally good at keeping a diet until it's night time. I literally have this sudden craving to eat everything in the house or near me depending on where I am.
Does anyone have any tips of how to ignore or get rid of cravings?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Are you actually hungry or just bored?
  • billsfitness32
    billsfitness32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wish I had some tips because I do the same thing! That’s why I decided t track everything on here...

Even the “fun size” butterfingers I eat after 10pm. I do great all day then crave bad food at night, SUCKS
  • bobthecoolsmileyface
    bobthecoolsmileyface Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Are you actually hungry or just bored?

I'm not hungry but I'm also not like "oh what a boring life. I don't have anything to do so let me just eat."
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    To stop this I delay my last meal to within two hours of bedtime. That means eating my first meal a little later, like three to four hours after I get up.

Also I eat enough food and the right macro split to keep me satisfied. If I try to cut too many calories I have problems.

How many calories per day are you eating and how many of those are for your supper (dinner/ last meal of the day.)
  • billsfitness32
    billsfitness32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I get it! It’s almost like somewhere in my head I tell myself “ you did good all day go have something” then it’s on and I pig out on crap! I want to get rid of all the crap food in the house but we take care of my elderly in-laws and I’m not gonna tell the 93 year old WW2 vet that he can’t have cookies and candy because I will eat it! Lol. Just have to find out how to choose healthy midnight snakes if I have them at all.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do you have a hobby? I like to knit and I cannot snack and knit at he same time. I have many hobbies that keep my mind off food and snacking. Go for a stroll.
  • bobthecoolsmileyface
    Options
    I get it! It’s almost like somewhere in my head I tell myself “ you did good all day go have something” then it’s on and I pig out on crap! I want to get rid of all the crap food in the house but we take care of my elderly in-laws and I’m not gonna tell the 93 year old WW2 vet that he can’t have cookies and candy because I will eat it! Lol. Just have to find out how to choose healthy midnight snakes if I have them at all.

I'm so glad that I've got a fellow late night snack comrade out there. I live with my mom and sister and because life is unfair they still stay slim even when they pig out every day on crisps and chocolate. They bring the food into the house and it's hard to resist it once it's there XD
  • bobthecoolsmileyface
    Options
    To stop this I delay my last meal to within two hours of bedtime. That means eating my first meal a little later, like three to four hours after I get up.

Also I eat enough food and the right macro split to keep me satisfied. If I try to cut too many calories I have problems.

How many calories per day are you eating and how many of those are for your supper (dinner/ last meal of the day.)

I take in most of my calories for dinner. Like dinner is the only time I eat a big helping and I don't mind digging into
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    When I have cravings I try to establish first if I am "hungry" or "thirsty". Usually I didn't drink enough all day and a nice cuppa or mug of coffee will do nicely.
  • aryamadriana
    aryamadriana Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on the same boat with cravings! But I am a compulsive eater and I eat when I am bored or stressed (basically all the time). Especially if I keep junk food around. I would say, don't fight cravings. The more you do, the more you are going to want something. Instead try to keep healthy popcorn, or low cal candies around & or wholesome snacks that you like. In addition, if you are able, when you get a craving choose to make yourself smoothies with yummy ingredients like bananas, coco powder, and or some other great fruits and veggies. Loads of water and non-caffeinated tea with a natural sweetener like liquid Stevia work very well for me. For salty cravings I try veggies with some sort of lime, a bit of salt and hot sauce or pico de gallo (mexican). These are packed with flavor and you are eating veggies which is good for you. Make sure you get plenty of omega oils from healthy sources like nuts and avocados. Get plenty of sleep and exercise for 30 minutes on a regular basis. It makes a huge difference if you are begin a routine little by little. I started to box on a regular basis and it is getting me in a routine. Most importantly, be kind to yourself. Don't beat yourself up when you have a set back, but do try to be better than yesterday. I look at it this way, its is about more than loosing weight. I think it is about a journey towards health. A path towards understanding how our bodies react and function and how to feel at optimal levels of performance, energy and mental focus. :smile: You got this girl!!!! Cheering you on!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options

I take in most of my calories for dinner. Like dinner is the only time I eat a big helping and I don't mind digging into

How many total calories per day are you eating?

Try getting a good amount of protein in that dinner - like 30-40grams, along with sufficient fiber throughout the day. That should help.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I would say that I'm generally good at keeping a diet until it's night time. I literally have this sudden craving to eat everything in the house or near me depending on where I am.

Save some of your calories for nightime craving but do make sure you have some stuff on hand that will satisfy you.
    I always have hard boiled eggs on hand because an egg eases my craving.
    If sweets are the ticket...sugar free cool whip with pb2 mixed in and a drizzle of sugar free chocholate topping. Be prepared!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Are you really only eating 500 to 1000 calories a day? No no no :|
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Go for a walk. Get your mind off food.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Find a hobby. That will keep your mind busy and you won't think about food.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    What helped me get past this same issue was the following: budget enough calories for a proper dessert. Eat the dessert right after dinner (or within an hour or so if you’re not hungry right after). Eat it at the table. Log it and close out your day on MFP. Then brush your teeth and THEN sit in front of the tv (with a glass of water).

Edited to say: I just saw the above post about your numbers being low. Obviously, the above method works when you’re hitting your calorie goal with that after dinner dessert.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Your body is protecting you. If you undereat during the day (500- 1000 calories is undereating unless you are under medical supervision) it will demand food later.

Unluckily, if you deprive yourself of good food at mealtimes, the food available late at night tends to be high calorie and quite dense - so you can eat a lot of it.

This isn't you lacking will power or being greedy - it is a response to trying to lose weight too fast. Slow down and win.
  • ksharrell48
    ksharrell48 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I find myself in your nighttime snacking shoes quite often, and like other posters say, we need to be prepared! First off, as I've often done and learned from, do not eat too few calories during your day!! Second, try to up your protein amount; I found that satisfies me often. Finally, I'll bring a hot cup of sweet & spicy (decaf) tea with me to bed to sip on. It feels like a treat and goes a long way in warding off binges. I also have learned that the more I avoid treats, the more I am drawn to them voraciously! So I acknowledge them and mindfully eat and log them each day. I hope you find some tips that really help you.