Struggling with pain

Options
Okay. I have a pinched nerve in my neck and a degenerative disc in my lower back. Both cause pain...excruciating at times. Does anyone else deal with pain like that and how do you push through a workout? I make myself finish a workout. I'm just limited to cardio for now.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I don’t have those exact problems, but I’ve had to learn how to modify or find alternatives to many exercises. I have to do standing ab exercises rather than crunches and leg lift type exercises becsusf if my neck and low back. I would not push through that type of pain out of concern for further injury or aggravation.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Don't push through the pain, you will be causing more damage.
    Work on strengthening your muscles to take strain off your spine, search out some stretches to relieve your neck and speak to a physio about what exercise is best for you and your back x
  • Halloweenmom31
    Halloweenmom31 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also have degenerated disc disease in my back. Loosing the weight helps. I also only do cardio and some weights. It just depends on the day what I can do. Don’t push yourself. Like the other person said. It will make you worse. Focus on your core. That’s what the dr told me. Do planks. I do elliptical and bike for cardio. On good days I do a few minutes on the rower after I do my cardio but be prepared to hurt later. Hope this helps.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely not push through the pain. I used to have regular nerve issues at S1, L1. Any exercise that involved twisting of my torso would make it worse. Ask your Doc how to decrease the inflammation and maybe try elliptical or recumbent bike only. you can lose the weight without exercise by counting calories when it's acting up.
  • Halloweenmom31
    Halloweenmom31 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    I would absolutely not push through the pain. I used to have regular nerve issues at S1, L1. Any exercise that involved twisting of my torso would make it worse. Ask your Doc how to decrease the inflammation and maybe try elliptical or recumbent bike only. you can lose the weight without exercise by counting calories when it's acting up.

I actually just lost 56 pounds before I started going to the gym. I counted calories. After the weight loss I got the gym membership.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Maybe seated exercises would help? If you are going to do bicep curls, for example, make sure you have a bench with back support?
  • SexyRexy9625
    SexyRexy9625 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I actually do the treadmill or walk laps in the gym. Kind of just depends on the day and what the pain is like. I was able to incorporate some light weights today and I was able to tolerate it!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I had a pinched nerve in my back 2 years ago. I took Ibuprofen and went to a physical therapist. I had to take a break from working out. PT really helped me. I do the same stretches and moves at home now.