When will I see a difference in my body shape?

I started out at 341lb and am happily down now to 308lb. The only thing is that while the scale has been shifting happily, I'm not noticing any differences in my body. I started measuring my waistline weekly about 2 months ago and unhappy that it wasn't showing any signs of shrinking I started going to the gym three times a week about a month ago, doing both cardio and weights, and am happy to report I can see the leaps in my fitness levels each week. I'm still not seeing any difference in my waist line and I'm still in the same sized clothes I was in when I was 30lbs heavier. I wasn't expecting to go from obese to supermodel overnight but I really was hoping to have something to show for my efforts by now.

I live at the other side of the country from my family and am planning to visit them in about 2 months time. I've been really raving about my weight loss to my mum but I'm scared that they won't see a difference at all. Does anyone have any words of encouragement? Any tips? When did you start to notice the change in your body shape?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    You are doing so great. Don’t depend on what other’s say. Be proud of where you are today. <3
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited March 2019
    As someone already mentioned, take weekly measurements from many different body parts. I did 2 waist measurements...smallest part and at belly button, hips, thighs, upper arms, calves, ankles, wrists, neck. Yes, I went a little overboard. That all isn't necessary but I saw a loss somewhere almost every week...it helps with motivation to see results in inches in weeks when it may not show up on the scale. But do at least 3 or 4 places. If you have lost 30 pounds, you will see a difference in measurement somewhere. My waist was NOT the first place I lost, and you can't really control that.

Also...keep in mind larger sizes (plus sizes in general) have a much larger range of weights that fit into them. This is because it is not economical for clothing companies to manufacture that many sizes. A smaller person may fit into a size smaller if they lose 5 or 10 pounds...but heavier people may lose 30 or even more before they go down a size. But as you lose, the amount needed to fit into the next smaller size will decrease. I am sure the clothes are fitting you differently, even if you can't yet go a size lower.

If you've lost 30, I think it is very likely the difference is noticeable. The first place I noticed it was my face, and that doesn't really show up in measurements.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    You will always be the last person to notice. I think that happens to all of us. But I am sure others around you are already starting to notice :smile:
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    I was just complaining to my hubby about this. I’ve lost 10% of my body weight since January 1 and not one person has mentioned anything!
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    I started smaller (179 lbs at my heaviest) and at 163 lbs I feel my shape hasn't changed much. However clearly I've gotten smaller. I can still wear all the same clothes, but they look and feel better on me. Other people notice the difference.

I carry the majority of my weight in my hips and butt, and I know those will be the last to go. You may need to lose more to see the difference in your waist. Luck of the genetic lottery!

Congrats- you are doing an amazing job.
  • RubyDarling
    RubyDarling Posts: 171 Member
    For me, there is a difference between "shape" and "size". Previously when I've only done cardio exercise, I never changed shape, i.e. my body retained all the lumps and bumps, I was just smaller. Weights training is the only thing that has changed my body shape , and even then, we're talking slow-ish progress over years.

You're doing amazingly - keep at it!
  • MrsBexyBee
    MrsBexyBee Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks for all of your replies and encouragement. I'll definitely start measuring all around my body and taking photographs!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    I noticed things at different stages. I started at 160kg (352lb)
    - At 10% lost 144kg (317lb) I noticed weird things like my wrist were smaller and I had to adjust my watch band and that my shoes were loser.
    - At 15% lost 136kg (299lb) I started to notice that my clothes were slightly (and only very slightly) loser.
    - At 20% lost 128kg (282lb) My clothes got to the point that I needed to do a shopping trip. I had gone in several belt notches and I sort of noticed that my face looked a little different.
    - At 25% lost 120kg (265lb) I definitely noticed changes in my face and started to notice changes in the mirror.

So yeah, it wasn't until I'd lost about a quarter of my body weight that I actually noticed the difference in the mirror. The changes are just so gradual that you don't see it day to day but at each stage mentioned above even though I couldn't see it the changes were happening and looking back at photos I took at the start or were taken before I started I was able to see the changes in comparison even if they weren't noticeable off hand.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2019
    It takes a good while to notice a change in shape when you're heavy. Like Danp, it took me losing about a quarter of my initial weight to notice a difference that isn't just clothes getting a little bit roomier (for the record, even clothes didn't feel different at first).

For me, personally, most changes aligned with BMI. I noticed certain changes every time I went down a BMI class (class III obese to class II, class II to class I...etc).

Also, if you're anything like me, brace yourself for some "ugly duckling" phases where your shape looks weird before it evens out a bit to something kind of proportionate.

ETA: definitely take photos. I didn't notice how much my face changed (the first thing to change) until I looked at older photos.

ETA2: don't just look for shape changes, there are other changes that are just as important and noticeable. Having an easier time tying shoes, first time I was able to stand on my tiptoes, first time I was able to sit with legs crossed, some other quality of life changes like showers getting a bit shorter because there is less surface to clean...etc.
  • nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member
    I was also thinking I did not make any progress. And did not have a before photo to compare. Last week I found a photo of exactly 2 years back. And the difference is huge. I am actually the same weight, but I have a lot of "rolls" and now there is only 1 still left. I am glad to find the photo, now I really know I have made some progress and is very pleased about it.
    Keep going.You will see the progress some time.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Congrats on your amazing loss! I agree with those who say it is hard to notice changes on yourself and that pics and measurements are key. I lost about 150. You cannot lose 40 lbs and have there be no difference in your measurements or the way your clothes fit. My guess would be that you might not be losing the fastest in the places you most “want” to, but that doesn’t mean there’s been no change. Clothing sizes at the large end of the spectrum cover a lot of body sizes and shapes. You might be wearing the same clothes but they will fit more loosely than before. When you’re wearing looser clothes people can’t notice changes as easily.

When you measure yourself it can take some practice to be sure you’re holding the tape in exactly the same spot and same tension every time. Even today, I can measure myself twice in a row and get different results. It’s best if someone else can help you measure.

Keep it going!