Weight Loss Duration

I have read that if you cut 3,500 calories per week, you can lose around 1 pound per week. However, no one mentions how long that weight loss will last. For how long will you continue to lose 1 pound per week? I assume at some point your body weight normalizes. Obviously you aren't going to lose 1 pound per week forever.

If I started at 170 and cut 3,500 calories per week, what should I expect. Assume that exercise and activity level have not changed.

Thanks.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    It depends on age and activity level. When your Calories in = your calories out you'll stop losing weight. As long as you are eating less than you are burning, you'll continue to lose.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    You can continue at a 1 lb/week expected pace until you can no longer safely cut 3500 calories from your week anymore. Eventually as you get closer to your goal weight, your body's calorie needs will decrease until it will not be safe or sustainable to continue a 1 lb/week loss. At that point, you will need to switch to a slower pace of loss.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You will lose 1 lb a week as long as you cut 3500 below maintenance calories. But as you lose weight, your basic maintenance calories drop, so it is harder to achieve the 3500 deficit. Plus women should never go below 1200 and men below 1500. So at some point, you cannot create a 3500 deficit and have a healthy level of nutrition.
  • salburda
    salburda Posts: 22 Member
    AS a senior citizen I did not lose any wieght till I was in my 60's it has taken me me 8-9 years.