Vegan Cheese

nooshi713
nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
Please give your suggestions for the tastiest vegan options for the following types of cheese below. Thanks in advance.

*Mozzarella*

*Cheddar*

*Feta*

*Parmesan*

Replies

• JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited March 2019
    Not a huge cheese fan so can't properly answer, but Chao Cheese creamy original slices is the best one I've tried. Next up Follow your Heart provolone slices. Follow your Heart also does mozarella slices. Not terrible, but liked them less than the provolone ones.
    Cashew cheese is also good to crumble on salads and wraps like you would do feta. The brand I had was local I think.

Overall, it's extremely difficult to find a vegan cheese that tastes exactly like the real version, though.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    I know this does not answer your question, but I found nutritional yeast to be a great alternative to cheese. It has a nice flavor and is loaded with good stuff! Check it out. Most grocery stores sell this in their bulk department so you can check it out without buying a ton!

I love nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor. I'm not even vegan and I use it a lot. Cheese is one of my high calorie weaknesses and nutritional yeast has helped a ton with that craving.
  • JustAMurmur
    JustAMurmur Posts: 7,867 Member
    edited March 2019
    It's really up to your personal taste preference. There are so many options available to try, you're sure to find one that you love! I limit the amount of processed foods in my vegan diet, but I do add a bit of vegan cheese from time to time on various things. My local rural stores are still very limited in what they offer, but Daiya (mozzerella, cheddar and jack) shreds and block cheeses are decent and widely available. Go Veggie parmesan is pretty good. Aldi (if you have those near you) has Vegan Mozzeralla shreds that are pretty tasty and cheaper. I haven't found a vegan feta sub yet. I think Trader Joe's has some vegan options as well. You can't beat Nutrional Yeast to add that cheesy flavor along with bonus B vitamins and protein! Do you have any favorites yet? Or ones that you don't like?
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Please give your suggestions for the tastiest vegan options for the following types of cheese below. Thanks in advance.

*Mozzarella*

*Cheddar*

*Feta*

*Parmesan*

• anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Not a huge cheese fan so can't properly answer, but Chao Cheese creamy original slices is the best one I've tried.

Overall, it's extremely difficult to find a vegan cheese that tastes exactly like the real version, though.

This ⬆️
    Chao slices are tasty and the ingredients are not overly processed.

Love nutritional yeast for a touch of cheesiness.

I'm also not a huge cheese fan, and I'm even less of a vegan cheese fan. In general vegan cheese doesn't taste as good as real cheese and it usually has very little nutritional value, if any. So generally when I want some cheese, I find a little bit of flavorful real cheese goes a long way: feta, aged cheddar, and Parmesan.

One thing I really like is cashew cream. It's easy to make, tastes great, and is good for you.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited March 2019
    Chao is my favorite followed by Daiya for mozzerella and cheddar.

I love go veggie grated parm.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Thank you for the suggestions. I havent tried any yet myself so will look into these and the nutritional yeast.

:)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    There's a recipe on my MFP home page right now (right side of page) for vegan cheese. I clicked on it and it seems fairly simple to make. The photo looks good.
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Violife have a good range.
    Tyne Chease is lovely but pricey.
  • SelenaMariaStewart
    SelenaMariaStewart Posts: 112 Member
    Been vegan a while and have never found a vegan cheese substitute (especially premade) that didn't taste like manufactured dog *kitten*. Severe allergy to nutritional yeast too so I've been 100% cheese-taste free for a while. I miss the taste sometimes but generally speaking I can still enjoy everything without it or the substitutes
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Are you in the US?

Here are my (US-available) favorites.

Mozzarella: Miyoko's

Cheddar: Daiya, Chao

Feta: Usually make my own from tofu (my favorite purchased is from the Herbivorous Butcher in Minneapolis, but it can be harder to find nationally)

Parmesan: Violife

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    I recently tried the Daiya cheddar slices and I was impressed. Melted well with grilled cheese. No weird taste. Even the omni DH liked it :)
  • cathipa
    Are you in the US?

Feta: Usually make my own from tofu (my favorite purchased is from the Herbivorous Butcher in Minneapolis, but it can be harder to find nationally)

Do you have a recipe for this? I've been wanting to try a sub, but there are none locally to purchase.
  • janejellyroll
    cathipa wrote: »
    Are you in the US?

Do you have a recipe for this? I've been wanting to try a sub, but there are none locally to purchase.

I like this one: https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/tofu-feta/
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    I hadn't tried vegan cheese until recently and the Daiya cheddar was surprisingly good, even eaten just as is.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    For cheese, I like nutritional yeast for Parmesan subbing. Daiya brand for everything else. But if you haven’t been off cheese long, none of it will taste like cheese. I suggest going six months without it then try it. Haha.
  • cathipa
    Are you in the US?

I tried this last night and it was incredible! Thank you for the recipe!
  • janejellyroll
    Are you in the US?

I tried this last night and it was incredible! Thank you for the recipe!

Yay!