Cardio indoor vs outdoor ?

Options
I have a fitness test coming up, which is a shuttle run

I do my cardio indoors because when I used to run outdoor, it really bothered my shins and knees.
I found the pain unbearable and had to stop.

Is cardio on the machines as good as doing it outdoors ? If not what can I do

I have maybe 2 months till the test but I want to take advantage of this time

Replies

• Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I added one stretch to my routine and it helped immensely with my shin and calves. Stand up, flex one foot backwards with the top of your toes in the ground. You’ll feel it in the front of your ankle. If I’m running and it hurts, I take a moment and stretch again. It has been a god send.

I recently discovered I like running outside more because I find I go faster if I’m not predetermining what speed I’ll commit to on a treadmill.
    Best of luck with your event!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    It's not about what is better, so much as it's about the fact that you're going to be doing this test outside. Items like it would make sense to gradually add some outdoor running and also probably some calf stretches. It also isn't clear what sort of cardio you're doing inside. If you're not running now, then you should start ASAP.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I have a fitness test coming up, which is a shuttle run

I do my cardio indoors because when I used to run outdoor, it really bothered my shins and knees.
    I found the pain unbearable and had to stop.

Is cardio on the machines as good as doing it outdoors ? If not what can I do

I have maybe 2 months till the test but I want to take advantage of this time

Personally, I'll prioritise conditioning-training in an outdoor space closest to you, which best mimicks where you'll be fitness-tested, once the shins and knees issues are sorted.

Echo dewd2@change your footwear.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Given a choice outdoors every time. I loathe cardio machines
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    For me, I have always found that the only thing that ever prepared me for running outside was running outside. Treadmill and running an indoor track are great workouts, but just didn't help me with running outside. They will help prepare you a lot more than sitting on the couch though, so they are beneficial.
    You may be different, but for me, if the test is outdoors, I'd have to train for it outdoors.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I never set foot on a treadmill in my life, but I have plenty of experience, running outdoors. I'm casting another vote for different footwear. I even had to change shoes between runs on the track or cross-country. If the competition is outdoors, training should probably be, too.
    Best of luck!
  • CMKelly65
    CMKelly65 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem with running outside, and on the treadmill I have no problems and could go for hours (well, maybe minutes... but it FEELS like hours!!)
    I read that the difference in the work your body does is because there is wind resistance outside that you don't get on a treadmill, so if you increase your incline to 1% it offsets the lack of wind resistance. That's what we've done with our treadmill and have kept up our running all winter.
    I also had the problem of going faster outside than on the TM, and that was what was giving me shin splints. I purposely slowed down and that was the solution for me.
    Good luck! Whatever you do, it's exercise and it's good for you!
  • GigiC1130
    GigiC1130 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try slowly adjusting to doing cardio outside. It’s like night and day when you compare running on a treadmill vs outside. The treadmill is for sure a lot more comfortable on your legs, but running outdoors has a lot more advantages. Fresh air, you don’t feel like you’re on a hamster wheel, and you have control over your own pace. Good luck!