Any advice?

Options
Hi everyone,

This is my 11th day using this app and I honestly have never paid attention to anything I eat until I joined MFP. I have gained a tremendous amount of 30lbs in the last year due to depression and anxiety. I mean, 30lbs may not be a lot to some however, I am only 5ft tall and it shows a lot differently on someone who is taller as I am sure you may know. Anyway, I am doing a lot better mentally and I wanted to ask you for your advice for someone who is just starting out their fitness journey!! Any ideas on how I can achieve the best long term result?

Replies

• NatilaK
    NatilaK Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! This was uber helpful, I am already doing Muay Thai and have found that has helped me. But I definitely agree, take it a small step at a time. Thank you!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Agree with jan110144. When I started, I really had 3 goals in mind (well, 4, but I consider 2a and 2b to be interconnected):

1) Stick to the calories MFP gave me.

2a) Restrict homemade desserts to 200 calories or fewer.

2b) Don't eat bakery treats, restaurant food, or otherwise obviously high-calorie foods IF I couldn't find something comparable in the database. (Full disclosure: I'm strictly kosher. So all those restaurants that list their calories? They're chains. Most kosher restaurants are one location only and don't need to provide calorie information. Now, if we're dealing with stuff like donuts, brownies, a cheese or veggie pizza slice, etc., I can find something in the database. Maybe it won't be a Slice N Bites or Tov Li cheese slice, but I know that if I use the values for Pizza Pizza, I'm probably in the right ballpark. If it's a signature salad that that comes with candied nuts, shredded cheese, toasted seeds, maybe some croutons... I'm horrible at eye-balling, have no clue the proportions and, unless it's a really special occasion, I'm passing up that salad because I couldn't begin to guess at the calories in it.)

3) Get in 25 minutes of exercise a day. Preferably walking, but I have a glider in the basement if I need it.

In just under 2 1/2 years, I've dropped 108lbs, now walk about 2 hours a day, strength train 5 days a week, pay attention to my protein, iron, and fiber, and ran my first 5K last summer with a respectable finish time. But it's been slow and steady along the way.

Figure out what you can handle right now and work on that. It might be what I picked; it might be something different. It doesn't matter. Just take that first step. When you're comfortable with it, add something else. Don't worry about how other people are progressing. You do you.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Start with knowing where you are now, track what you eat. Compare that to what MFP estimates you should eat. Make small changes that are sustainable for you to get from where you are to where you should be. Maybe it's less days with dessert. Maybe it's less cheese on meals. Maybe it's a couple vegetarian dinners a week. Whatever works for you. Try different stuff until you find a nice balance that fits your life.

That works for exercise too...maybe just taking the stairs, or parking farther away, walking a bit more...maybe just 10 min of workout in the morning...whatever fits for you and whatever you think you can keep doing over time.

In the long run sustainability is the key to success.
  • GratefulWayFarer
    GratefulWayFarer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Whatever changes you make.. Do them slowly and gradually. That's the way you will make them stick and become a way of life. Good luck!
  • serelson630
    serelson630 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Commit to tracking for 30 days in a row, track all the sneaky snacks and nibbles. Track even at the very end of the day if you couldn't get to it beforehand. You will start to notice which foods impact your day/exercise/hunger.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Eat things you enjoy (within moderation and within your calorie goals) and do exercise that you enjoy. The key question you need to ask yourself is how can I make this sustainable? Life is to be enjoyed!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Looking back at my own life journey I realize that psychological health is at least as important as physical health. After 15 years I have been able to get away from pills (anti depressants) and started to heal from inside. MFP helps me now to lose a total of 70 kg (150 pounds). They calculate everything for you and members are always helpful and supportive. (done 340 days, lost about 30 kg).
  • rdthoms
    rdthoms Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    All good advice above. For a little extra motivation checkout myshape.fitness (google it) - it will build your 3D body shape avatar and you can set a goal shape and then track toward that. That can help with motivation.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am 5’2” ( more like 5’1 3/4”). I have 10-15 pounds to lose. Weight does show a lot more on us shorties! Some things that help me mentally is to look at the short term as a way to achieve my long term goals.
    1) Meal prep helps me grab a quick bite that doesn’t involve poor choices.
    2) Exercising regularly makes me feel like a bad *kitten*.
    3) Accepting that I don’t have to always eat everything healthy and skipping a workout won’t ruin my body, helps me to just enjoy life.
    4) I make an attempt to avoid fried food, processed food and sugary foods. I haven’t stopped drinking but I also haven’t had an alcoholic drink in months.
    You will find your own things that work for you 🦄
    Feel free to add me!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,336 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has great suggestions! I'm 5 feet also and I have 4 more pounds to lose.
    What estherdragonbat said about desserts is good, what everyone is saying is good advice. I just warmed up a banana with a tablespoon of chocolate chips, 170 calories and the sugar craving is gone. It's not cake and I do reserve days for those types of treats. Also, being in a weight loss community does help. Like minded people trying to achieve the same goal will get you far. Balance healthy diet and exercise.
  • InsertFunnyUsernameHere
    Options
    My advice is:

- Buy low, sell high.
    - Never take candy from strangers.
    - Always tell your boss it will take longer than it actually will.
    - When you're angry, always count to ten in your head before speaking.
    - Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer.
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Keep your short term goals achievable It’ll help keep you motivated.
  • NatilaK
    Options
    Wow! I am so overwhelmed with everyone’s wonderful advice. Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to welcome me into the community and for your encouraging words!

I am most definitely going to try to take maintain achievable goals or I know I will be disappointed.

I hope you guys are having a wondering weekend, I will be posting some updates in a few weeks by using all of your advice and see the difference it will make.

Thank you all so much again!!!
  • NatilaK
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    Eating: My best advice is to take a bit of time to experiment and find out what works for you. Pick strategies that you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life so that you lose the weight once a don't find you self yoyo-ing.

Exsercise: pick something you enjoy doing. Start with that. Add so ething else to it as you feel like you need something more.

Baby steps that you can build on are better than going all.out on something you cannot maintain.

Finallly. Check out groups and challenges and get involved in one that resonates with you. Having a bit of support and accountability is really helpful.

This is literally such great advice!!! I have been doing kickboxing (Muay Thai) for a few months but recently have not been as motivated so I froze my account. I may actually go back into it and try to do yoga as well to keep myself motivated.

I hope you’re having a wonderful day, thank you once more for your advice!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Great advice from everyone! I would add that if your overeating is related to depression and anxiety, you take a look at your circumstances and see if there is anything you can do to get some relief. It's hard to cut back on pleasure from food when life isn't very pleasant, but in my case I found there were several long term issues I had been avoiding, and addressing those improved my life enough that I didn't need food as much to be happy. If professional help would be useful, get it. Don't avoid taking care of yourself at this time!

Also, work to find other sources of joy which aren't food related, such as music, reading, being outside in nature, anything that makes you happy to act as a reward. I started watching birds and painting my fingernails, and it definitely helped when I felt low.
  • jeremybaldwin317
    jeremybaldwin317 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just win the day🤙🏼