Hitting protein target

Options
Pickle107
Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
My usual eating pattern appears to be quite low in protein. On average I'm only getting half of the mfp suggested amount. I'm going to try some protein supplement as I'm not big on lots of meat but I hate beans more. Has increasing your protein intake done you any good?

Replies

• lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! It’s helped my appetite and physique. I suggest Greek yogurt and eggs as other ways to get your protein in with less calories.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    What are your macro percentages? Is it the default given by MFP or did you set it? I ask because sometimes people have trouble on here hitting protein, but they've set unreasonably high goals. That might not be the case for you, but I wanted to ask just in case. I get most of my protein from greek yogurt and eggs.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Same here. I find I'm always missing my mark by a good amount. Time to add some more greek yogurt I guess.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Pickle107 wrote: »
    My usual eating pattern appears to be quite low in protein. On average I'm only getting half of the mfp suggested amount. I'm going to try some protein supplement as I'm not big on lots of meat but I hate beans more. Has increasing your protein intake done you any good?

i find that adequate protein and fat help keep me full for longer than carb based meals.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Don't forget there are variety of proteins out there: seafood (shelfish, fish), plant based proteins (setian, tofu, legumes), eggs, Greek yogurt/cottage cheese/cheese.

Benefits of protein are fairly extensive; more muscle, you maintain metabolic functions (especially when paired with resistance training), stronger body, increase calorie burn (protein requires more calories to breakdown), etc...
  • Carski60
    Carski60 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all, I'm new here. Am having trouble hitting my protein also. Thanks for the suggestions, totally wasn't thinking about Greek yogurt.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Carski60 wrote: »
    Hi y'all, I'm new here. Am having trouble hitting my protein also. Thanks for the suggestions, totally wasn't thinking about Greek yogurt.

Greek yogurt is a great source of protein! Also, whole grains breads/bread-type items can be a good source as well. The bread I eat has 5g of protein per slice (I eat 2 slices, toasted, every morning=10g protein), the flat bread I use for sandwiches has 9g of protein etc. It adds up quick :)
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options

For me, yes. I've noticed a measurable difference. In general, I stay full longer. I too, eat a lot of Greek yogurt as posters have mentioned above. Love that stuff. But, also - I run a lot, and for recovery, eating protein is a staple for my muscles to repair themselves. There's been such a difference in performance and bouncing back from longer runs. I tend to get .9 - 1g per pound. Sometimes a bit more, it averages out at the end of week. It's really the only macro I keep an eye on to make sure I'm hitting a decent target each day.

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I find I feel fullest on a combination of protein and fiber.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options

I had maintained in a 10 pound range for about a year. Tried several different calorie levels and macro targets. Upping my protein intake to 30-35% got the scale moving again for me. Also started eating a protein "ice cream" slushy before bedtime. Seems to make me sleep better, as well.

• stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I've increased my protein intake but prioritize proteins over carbs. Higher protein intake helps me feel full for a longer period of time. It also makes meal planning easy as my usual lunch is a meat with vegetables, my suppers normally involve eggs and my breakfasts are usually soups high in proteins.

If you do not like to eat meat, you can try incorporating animal products like eggs and dairy, consume seafood, more legumes or try substitutes like tofu.
  • Mom2Five78
    Mom2Five78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue. Problem is I hate eggs and tuna. I am hitting way under half my protein goal most days. Many days only around 30%. Maybe I should try some protein powder too
  • ir4ynka
    ir4ynka Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I’m new here as well. I also have trouble hitting my protein target. But I’m confused by the calculations the system makes. Isn’t it supposed to find out percentage of protein by dividing its amount in grams to total grams of protein, carbs and fat? For example my protein supposed to be 88/309=28.5%, but in the app it shows only 20%. Am I missing something? Please see picture attachedt3h33c2aqtzr.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options
    This thread is very useful:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency: Most protein for fewest calories. Find things you enjoy in that spreadsheet, eat more of those, less of something else that doesn't help you meet your nutritional goals.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    ir4ynka wrote: »
    Hi all. I’m new here as well. I also have trouble hitting my protein target. But I’m confused by the calculations the system makes. Isn’t it supposed to find out percentage of protein by dividing its amount in grams to total grams of protein, carbs and fat? For example my protein supposed to be 88/309=28.5%, but in the app it shows only 20%. Am I missing something?

Yes, you have to convert them to calories -- the percentages are percentage of total calories.

protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram, and fat has 9 calories per gram.

That said, percentage of total calories isn't necessarily the best way to identify protein needs. I think it makes sense to go with protein as a minimum gram amount based on goal weight (at least .65-.8 g per lb of a healthy goal weight).
  • fcanad
    fcanad Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Look at cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and seeds and nuts for other protein sources beyond meat and eggs
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    I find I feel fullest on a combination of protein and fiber.

Ditto
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options

Like others have said, there are lots of protein sources that come from foods other than meat and beans.

However, have you adequately explored different way of cooking meat and beans? I could have upwards of 40 meals a month of chicken and not get sick of it as there are so many ways to cook it. (I have lots of spices and an interest in world cuisine.)
  • jaymefaith5
    jaymefaith5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I seem to get my protein goals most days. If I'm under it's only barely. I have 2 staples everyday. Protein shake in morning and 2 cups of Greek yogurt everyday. I am very particular about getting enough because I'm pregnant. If anyone wants to add me, my diary is open.