When did you start buying new clothes?

Options
imxnianne
imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
edited March 2019 in Motivation and Support
I’ve lost enough weight where all my clothes are too big. I don’t know if I should go clothe shopping. How often did you guys buy things?

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Too small or too big..😉

Currently thinking I need new pants..
    feels like they gonna fall/slide off wh n I put one on this am. 😣
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I think you meant big? Secondhand shops are lifesavers for those in between times.
  • imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yes! Too big. I edited it. Thanks for the catch! Also thrift stores?
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I buy things in the sales that are a smaller size than I am and use them as my incentive, I don't spend a lot but it's a great feeling to see them finally fit - especially when the scales don't seem to be budging.
    Otherwise I buy when I get to the point when everything feels baggy and I feel like I have nothing to wear. I buy those in the sale too as I'm hoping they won't fit for long.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty terrible at buying new things. Don't want to take the time for thrift or the money for new. I bought a belt to cinch my dresses tighter at the waist. The first time I lost weight, I probably started thrifting for clothes at 20 pound intervals, i.e. I bought new clothes every 20 pounds. Didn't stick at goal long enough to buy clothes then, was procrastinating and wish I hadn't - it was too easy to gain back because I had kept my bigger clothes.
  • veggieburger1
    veggieburger1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I buy new clothes when my old ones start getting baggy. I try not to spend much though as i am still losing weight so i do consignment stores/ marshalls/tjmaxx.

I think trying on clothes and buying smaller sizes along with having clothes that fit you and make you look good is extremely motivating and can help you on your journey.For instance, my weight loss recently has been very slow and i was feeling down about having only lost about 1.5lbs in the last month/month and a half but i went shopping today to find that i am down another pants size and that really made me feel the need to keep pushing!
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm about there now. I have a excellent wardrobe for when I hit goal and have been throwing out/donating everything too big. So for now it will be Walmart and thrift store for the in-between stages
  • daygirl5000
    daygirl5000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    As soon as I could fit into XL
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Last saturday, when I could comfortable wear 32's. I was wearing 38 jan of last year.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm buying new things super slowly, since I'm nowhere near my goal weight. But I would say I started buying pants and jeans when I had lost around 20-25 lbs, and I am at 35 lbs down now. I basically bought 2 sizes.. one size that just barely fit at the time, and one size lower. So I can gradually fit into those before having to spend more money.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    It's hard on cheapskates like me. I delayed for a long time until

I feel weird wearing a snug fit, but the "relaxed fit" pants are now huge on me. And "regular fit" shirts could fit a second torso. (Although, some slim fit shirts are really tight.)

In general, I can say that wearing clothes that fit well is awesome.
  • LoKoMi
    LoKoMi Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I’m 60 pounds down with 15 more to go.

At first I had a mix of comfortable and slightly tight clothes, plus stretchy pants that accommodated a wide size range. Somewhere around 25 pounds I had to start pinning my shirts to my bra straps so they’d stay on my shoulders and only the clothes that were originally slightly tight still worked for me.

It worked OK because by the start of summer I was a new size and had to buy all new stuff, including underwear. I’m getting by with sport bras as they are more flexible for sizing.

As the season changed I donated all of the summer clothes except for two favorite tops that I think could still work this coming year. I had very little winter clothes so I had to buy clothes that fit. Now about 75% of those winter clothes are headed back to the thrift store, and I’m searching for summer clothes because I only have those two tops.

I even had to buy new SHOES!!! I thought my feet were wide, turns out they were just fat too 🤷🏻‍♀️

But I have to say, wearing clothes that fit well has been INCREDIBLY motivating. I can SEE results even when the scale seems to be stuck or going in the wrong direction. It’s been nice, needing to buy new workout clothes because my gym pants almost fell down in class once 🤣

So, I guess I buy new clothes when I cannot get one more use out of current clothes without being accidentally obscene, or when the season changes and I’m forced to because now that I’m hovering between L/XL, I cannot wear even my most favorite 3XL shirt anymore.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I started out at the consignment store but every now and then would treat myself to something brand new. Don't wait to buy smaller clothes because you aren't at goal. The trouble with doing that is no one notices your progress and that can be discouraging. Some consignment stores have lovely things and you can get a real bargain. The upside is you can bring in your larger clothing and as it sells you get credit to spend. Congratulations on your progress!
  • Jactop
    Jactop Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    You can get some extra wear out of your clothes with some simple alterations.

When my jeans get too loose I cut 2 holes in the inside of the waistband on either side of the button and pull an elastic through. Stitch the ends in place or secure them with safety pins.

For pants with a full waist band ( like yoga or sweat pants) pull a thinner elastic all the way through and tie it in a knot

Baggy tops look better when you sew in the side seams a bit.

• RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    My husband and I hit the sales racks up at the outlets and some department stores. The "I have to have it no matter what" clothes are once in a blue moon. But, mainly I pick up pieces here and there. I go down to the next size when I am very close to fitting in it. My work clothes are a little different, they usually get altered.
    However, I can't afford running out and getting new clothes all the time, so I make sure what I get I can make last a while.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I got new clothes after about 25-30 lbs and my fitness friends were telling me I needed to. Things were hopelessly baggy at that point. I went to Goodwill on a REGULAR basis and snagged whatever I needed and could find that week. I went through several Goodwill wardrobes over my 2.5 yr weight loss journey. I bought only what fit correctly on that day and donated back to Goodwill when they were too big. It’s a good problem to have.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I've hit up second-hand stores. I've gotten some amazing deals on pants. New-with-tags jeans for $6, work pants that look like they've never been worn for $4. I don't have as much luck with tops, though.