I am not so sure...

Options
I know this was already mentioned (I believe yesterday), but I just need some clarification. My Goal for calorie intake for each day is 1790 and I ended up eating 1292 which means obviously my Net is 1292. So what I am confused about is I still want to exercise, but I do not plan to eat anything else for the day unless it's a 100 calorie pack, so do I go to the gym and burn 192 calories to meet my net of 1200 or do I not bothering with exercising at all? I remember reading if I go under my Net my body will be in starvation mode and I do not want that. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    If you exercise you need to eat something after your work out -- ALWAYS.

You probably should eat more anyways, do you know what your BMR is??
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Exercise is always a good idea. It does a lot of good things for your body, in addition to burning calories.
  • o0Amanda0o
    o0Amanda0o Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you exercise you need to eat something after your work out -- ALWAYS.

You probably should eat more anyways, do you know what your BMR is??

The BMR calculator says 2,063 calories a day.
  • idwoof
    idwoof Posts: 76
    Options
    You have no need to worry about starvation mode at 1200 calories. Always exercise and eat more.
    Go exercise and eat more than that 100 calorie pack, eat at least what you burn in your workout if you are already that low in your calories or you will be miserable.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    bump
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not enough for you, even without the exercise, based on what you're stating your goals are.

Read the links in the Sticky thread to understand how MFP works and why you need to be eating more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I think you already have this info but...

If you set up MFP right to start with then the daily calorie goal that MFP gives you already has a calorie deficit built in to lose weight. That said, you should eat close to the calorie goal MFP gives you each day including eating back most of your exercise calories. Depending on how far under the daily calorie goal you are, you are very likely to cause your body to hang onto the fat it has either slowing down or even stopping fat loss. It may not happen right away but eventually you will most likely plateau. If you have a lot of weight to lose you can probably get away with it longer but as you have less to lose your body will plateau easier.

I generally have my meals and exercise for the day planned in the morning or the night before. This way I know approximately what my exercise calorie burn will be and I plan my meals through the day to "pre-eat" enough calories so that I can just eat a sensible supper and maybe a snack. Been working great!

Looking at your signature on your posts it says you have 120 pounds to lose so you can probably (no guarantees) get away with being well under your calorie goal for a while without causing problems. Just remember everyone is different so if you find yourself plateauing for a few weeks it may be time to increase calories.
  • o0Amanda0o
    o0Amanda0o Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :smile: