Help please!

Options
dollywah
dollywah Posts: 4 Member
Hi, I'm just starting today. I have been allocated 1200 calories for the day, but on the NHS website that I had previously looked on for advice, they recommend between 1500 and 1900 calories. Which one should I go by to get a sensible weight loss and not feel that I'm being deprived too much? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dollywah wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just starting today. I have been allocated 1200 calories for the day, but on the NHS website that I had previously looked on for advice, they recommend between 1500 and 1900 calories. Which one should I go by to get a sensible weight loss and not feel that I'm being deprived too much? Thanks in advance for any replies.

you'll have got 1200 by setting the largest deficit available and the lowest activity setting?

are those things actually the most appropriate for you? what are your stats?
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Particularly your current weight and goal weight. I've been allocated 1200 as well but I'm 5'3" and very sedentary due to health. I'm finding it generally okay. I've have at least one day a week when either circumstances dictate I eat more (I'm not passing up apple crumble!) for social reasons or I've just felt a bit too hungry so I've gone over my calories by a few hundred. But nothing to sweat. It's done me very well- 9 lbs in 6 weeks.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Also remember the MyFitnessPal goal is plus exercise calories and the NHS (extremely broad) recommendation already includes exercise.

It's a calculator that you drive with your stats and your choices. Your stats are what they are but your choices influence the number that is suggested.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    with MFP you probably also set to lose 2 lbs/week whereas the other take a % from TDEE, which is probably closer to 1 lb/week. change your goal to 1 lb in MFP and you will get more cals and when you log your exercise you get more calories.
  • dollywah
    dollywah Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody, will have a look and maybe a tweak!! :D
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    If there's an MFP feature that has to be at the very top of the development list it has to be appropriate deficit limits.

When you enter your height and starting weight it should calculate how much weight you need to lose in order to reach a normal weight range and limit the available rate of loss options to only those appropriate.

It's really not that difficult a piece of code to implement.

weight_to_normal = current_weight - normal_weight
    if weight_to_normal >= 75
    rate of loss setting max = 2lb
    else if weight_to_normal < 75 & >=50
    rate of loss setting max = 1.5lb
    else if weight_to_normal <50 & >=25
    rate of loss setting max = 1lb
    else
    rate of loss setting max = 0.5lb

It will do away with what seems like the large number of people who log on here with the familiar "MFP gave me 1200cal but I'm struggling" post