Dairy-free options?

Options
sara709
sara709 Posts: 170 Member
I have a dairy allergy. Because of this, a lot of low-cal, high protein snacks are off-limits to me (i.e. cottage cheese). Does anyone know of any good alternatives?

Even any protein powder brands would be helpful since all the big names contain whey and casein which are no-nos for me. I've used a President's Choice powder that was alright but it didn't dissolve well in anything.

Help?

Replies

• calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Have you tried goat milk yogurt?
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Hit your local health food store looking for vegan alternatives. There is vegan cream cheese, cheese, yogurt, & sour cream, so I'd guess there's a vegan cottage cheese (I never looked). I also know there are some vegan protein bars & drinks (including one brand actually called "Vega").
  • theivorytower
    Options
    Have you ever heard of or tried Nutritional yeast? It kind of has a nutty/cheesy flavor. I like sprinkling some on steamed broccoli, tofu, potatoes, egg whites, or pretty much anything. In two tablespoons it has about 60 calories, 8 grams of protein, and i LOVE the way it tastes.
  • sara709
    sara709 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I stay away from goat's milk, to be honest. I'm not sure if my allergy is just cow's milk or not and have been too nervous to branch out.

I try to stay away from the fake foods, like vegan cream cheese, because of all of the preservatives - but thank you!

I do use nutritional yeast sometimes, though! I didn't realize it had so much protein. Thanks :)