intermittent fasting?

Options
ibrose21
ibrose21 Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2019 in Motivation and Support
So 5 weeks into trying some lifestyle changes, I’ve given this a serious go. Eating between 11 am and 7 pm. I’ve found drinking lots of water in the morning makes skipping breakfast no problem. Consuming my calories during lunch and dinner. So far so good, anyone else give this a try?

Replies

• Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Its actually called "intermittent fasting" and yes I have tried it but with limited success. As a lifestyle changes for me there simply isn't any reason to fast if my lifestyle changes are for life.

All I did was eat less and exercise more...down 34 lbs. in 5 months and still going.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    @ibrose21, wishing you the best in you fitness, health and wellness pursuits. Yes, what you're doing is practicing a intermittent fasting eating schedule. There are many ways to practice IF. If you decide to continue with this and want to be among like-kind people, we have an Intermittent Fasting group here at MFP. Stop by for a visit and say hello. I'll be there to greet you at the front door. Wishing you the best.
  • H2596
    H2596 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I am on a 12/12 IF plan. This is recommended by my doctor and it helps ensure your digestive system is fully reset before starting to eat again the next day. I usually do 7 pm to 7 am. His professional opinion is there is no need for anything more drastic than 12/12 for biological reasons, but decreasing your eating window overall will simply lead to a lower caloric consumption for most which is why it might help some lose weight.

Only eating between 7am and 7 pm is pretty much what most people did before snacking became so popular (three square meals a day of breakfast, lunch and dinner).

IF per se aims to reduce the hours in which you eat and anticipates that if you have less time to eat then your calorie intake will be lower. Any diet that puts you in a calorie deficit will work. Some people, me included, skip breakfast so I can eat a little more later in the day. Of course when I snack too much I don’t lose weight regardless of the time I eat.
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    H2596 wrote: »
    I am on a 12/12 IF plan. This is recommended by my doctor and it helps ensure your digestive system is fully reset before starting to eat again the next day. I usually do 7 pm to 7 am. His professional opinion is there is no need for anything more drastic than 12/12 for biological reasons, but decreasing your eating window overall will simply lead to a lower caloric consumption for most which is why it might help some lose weight.

Only eating between 7am and 7 pm is pretty much what most people did before snacking became so popular (three square meals a day of breakfast, lunch and dinner).

IF per se aims to reduce the hours in which you eat and anticipates that if you have less time to eat then your calorie intake will be lower. Any diet that puts you in a calorie deficit will work. Some people, me included, skip breakfast so I can eat a little more later in the day. Of course when I snack too much I don’t lose weight regardless of the time I eat.

I thought the idea of IF ALSO was to put yourself into autophagy. and that fat cannot be burned in the proliferation of insulin. insulin lowers the longer you fast. Im sure Im wrong yes? Hey what do I know....?🌷
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

I thought the idea of IF ALSO was to put yourself into autophagy. and that fat cannot be burned in the proliferation of insulin. insulin lowers the longer you fast. Im sure Im wrong yes? Hey what do I know....?🌷

That may be what "they say", but it's largely bunk. Everyone is always trying to sell the new amazing metabolism boosting strategy and all that, but the "hack" is to eat less than you burn.

It's amazing how quick and often the consensus on this stuff changes. Like 10 years ago when I was going this the first time, this big in thing to do was 6 small meals a day. Eat 6 small 200-300 calorie meals a day and you would "keep your metabolism constantly burning" and if you ate too much at once "your body wouldn't be able to burn it fast enough and it would turn to fat". All these skinny in shape people would go on about how eating 6 meals a day is what caused them to lose weight.

Eating at a calorie deficit is what causes it, whether you do it in 6 meals or 1. IF can be an effective appetite and calorie control strategy for people, but it doesn't have any superpowers.
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    @sammidelvecchio, we have an Intermittent Fasting group here at MFP if you'd like to be among like-kind people during your IF journey. You can access it here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • lleeann2001
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »

That may be what "they say", but it's largely bunk. Everyone is always trying to sell the new amazing metabolism boosting strategy and all that, but the "hack" is to eat less than you burn.

It's amazing how quick and often the consensus on this stuff changes. Like 10 years ago when I was going this the first time, this big in thing to do was 6 small meals a day. Eat 6 small 200-300 calorie meals a day and you would "keep your metabolism constantly burning" and if you ate too much at once "your body wouldn't be able to burn it fast enough and it would turn to fat". All these skinny in shape people would go on about how eating 6 meals a day is what caused them to lose weight.

Eating at a calorie deficit is what causes it, whether you do it in 6 meals or 1. IF can be an effective appetite and calorie control strategy for people, but it doesn't have any superpowers.

you are CORRECT,............BUT IVE . never believed the six meal a day thing. a lot of things work for different people i notice but many of us may not know the reason why. we just know they work. and also for me one thing may have worked in the past but doesnt work now. ....so, alas, on to something better andnew that WORKS
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options

Your doctor has no idea what he/she is talking about... there is no reason or need to 'reset' your digestive system.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

I've never seen anything other than someone's dubious opinion that there is any fat-burning benefit to not eating for any specific length of time, at least in healthy people. Whether the body is actually working on body fat at the exact moment there is insulin in our system I suspect is majoring in the minors. The body is constantly digesting food, mobilizing body fat from some places, storing it in others, excreting stuff it doesn't need, even when we're sleeping.

There is some research and theories out there about autophagy, but IMHO there isn't anywhere near enough verifiable data behind it to consider it definite. Having said that, if it sounds convincing to someone and IF is a comfortable way for them to eat, there's certainly no harm in doing IF and hoping you're getting the additional benefits as well!
  • lleeann2001
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I've never seen anything other than someone's dubious opinion that there is any fat-burning benefit to not eating for any specific length of time, at least in healthy people. Whether the body is actually working on body fat at the exact moment there is insulin in our system I suspect is majoring in the minors. The body is constantly digesting food, mobilizing body fat from some places, storing it in others, excreting stuff it doesn't need, even when we're sleeping.

There is some research and theories out there about autophagy, but IMHO there isn't anywhere near enough verifiable data behind it to consider it definite. Having said that, if it sounds convincing to someone and IF is a comfortable way for them to eat, there's certainly no harm in doing IF and hoping you're getting the additional benefits as well!

Thank you for your humble opinion 🌹
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    There's lots of "theories"...lots of "Bro-science", for IF as well as KETO diets. There are also some actual studies....

I can only relate to you MY experiences, which I don't claim to be any universal truth for anything...I have lost 40+ lbs 5 times in the last 7 years being an MFP member. I've gotten pretty good at it. I obviously lack sorely on the disclipline that is required to "keep" my weight from going back up (yea yea I know)...

I've done IF 2 of the last 5 times I've lost this same amount of weight...when I do IF I tend to lose faster. However, I don't necessarily think it's "because" of IF, but rather I think I instinctively "gravitate" to a more protein rich lower carb diet (maybe because I do watch video's on lower calorie meals, exercise regiments and IF videos are part of that)....

Or maybe the IF does have an impact! I do know that when I practice IF while losing weight, I tend to lose more rapidly...maybe I get more serious as well??? Not sure on that.....

There's no harm in doing it. I only drink black coffee while being on a 17/7 or some days 18/6 schedule. I do find that it is much easier for me to keep from "blowing" my calories when I completely skip my normal "breakfast" routine...not sure why!
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    At the end of the day, while what studies say about everything under the sun related to nutrition, it’s our anecdotal experiences that stick with us. Mine point to IF as being very efficient and among the best for cultivating and sustaining a level of discipline to get the target weight achieved.

I read one research summary that IF compliance over the long term is less than those who do not practice IF but maintain a calorie deficit.

There’s more than one way to get the job done. For me, it’s IF no questions asked.
  • alisonpinnell
    alisonpinnell Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    my hubby has done this method with great success. Good luck, he said it gets easier as you go along!
  • lleeann2001
    Options
    my hubby has done this method with great success. Good luck, he said it gets easier as you go along!

I do know that I am doing it with much success as well And I agree with @peirinifitness, our own experiences do stick with us. IF has worked for me tremendously.. And I congratulate all who have had success with this and other methods.
  • H2596
    H2596 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    @craigmandu @pierinifitness @lleeann2001

Me too. I think the later I start eating the more mindful I am about what I eat later. I don’t understand the science around diets (I’ve tried most of them and they do work when I stick to them!) but I do have more success with eating between 12 noon and around 6.30 pm. Good luck to you.