Popcorn

Options
Mimicleo
Mimicleo Posts: 13 Member
Good morning I have some Waitrose love life popcorn in my cupboard and 40 g weighs 157 cal I do have a small popcorn maker
Do you think I would be Better weighing my popcorn after I’ve popped it as it may weigh lighter
This seems quite high compared to a packet of popcorn from a store say salt and vinegar that isn’t covered in sugar
Anyone available with knowledge of popcorn LOL

Thank you Val

Replies

• vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    Even popcorn doesn't magically lose calories and or weight when heated (especially since the corn has almost no water that might evaporate), so it should make no difference if you weigh the "raw" corn or the popped.

Just don't forget the oil in your calorie-calculation ( 5g ~ 52 calories )
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I make 40g of popcorn in 7g of peanut oil just about every day. Just the right amount but it is a 210 cal snack.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    There was a good thread running on popcorn, last year, I think. I got an idea from it and now I buy raw popcorn, weigh out 40gr, put it in a small, plain paper sack, masking tape it shut, and micro for 4 min. Not all the kernels pop, so I weigh the unpopped and usually get 30gr popped. This is no mess, no oil and 29 cal.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    There was a good thread running on popcorn, last year, I think. I got an idea from it and now I buy raw popcorn, weigh out 40gr, put it in a small, plain paper sack, masking tape it shut, and micro for 4 min. Not all the kernels pop, so I weigh the unpopped and usually get 30gr popped. This is no mess, no oil and 29 cal.

You don’t even have to tape it shut. Just fold it over a 1/2 inch a few times. I do this all the time and it stays folded. You have to listen closely for the popping to stop. It can burn quickly. It takes 3-1/2 minutes in my microwave, so timing is depending on the microwave.
  • JustAMurmur
    JustAMurmur Posts: 7,867 Member
    Options

Same, but I use a microwave safe bowl and plate instead of and bag. This method makes the popcorn tender from the steam. My micro only takes about 2.5 min, so keep an eye on it!
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! I’ve been using my stovetop and watching it like a hawk! Great tips above!
  • Mimicleo
    Options
    Thank you everyone who replied.

I’m still kind of confused I am easily confused LOL Why is my 40 g of raw popcorn kernels coming out at 157 but say for example Snowflakes 30 gms much less in calories
    I have a small popcorn machine that doesn’t need oil the heat makes them pop so I don’t use any oil
    Out of curiosity today I bought a packet of popcorn from Pret see salt flavour and 29 g worked out as 143 cal
    I’m thinking if I weighed it when it was cooked it would be lighter and less in calories
    Thanks Val
  • JustAMurmur
    Options

Same, but I use a microwave safe bowl and plate instead of and bag. This method makes the popcorn tender from the steam. My micro only takes about 2.5 min, so keep an eye on it!

Ooops...I made no sense there! I meant to say: "Same, but I use a microwave safe bowl and plate INSTEAD OF a bag." :)
  • snowflake954
    Options

You don’t even have to tape it shut. Just fold it over a 1/2 inch a few times. I do this all the time and it stays folded. You have to listen closely for the popping to stop. It can burn quickly. It takes 3-1/2 minutes in my microwave, so timing is depending on the microwave.

Thanks! I'll try this.
  • snowflake954
    Options

I'll try this too! Great idea.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    Mimicleo wrote: »
    Thank you everyone who replied.

I’m still kind of confused I am easily confused LOL Why is my 40 g of raw popcorn kernels coming out at 157 but say for example Snowflakes 30 gms much less in calories
    I have a small popcorn machine that doesn’t need oil the heat makes them pop so I don’t use any oil
    Out of curiosity today I bought a packet of popcorn from Pret see salt flavour and 29 g worked out as 143 cal
    I’m thinking if I weighed it when it was cooked it would be lighter and less in calories
    Thanks Val

Yours might have oil added to the kernels--read the labels carefully.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    According to the USDA, 100 g of popcorn, air-popped, will have about 387 cal. I can't find the entry, but from what I see elsewhere, 56 g of kernels is supposed to pop into about 213 cal of popcorn.

Based on these numbers, 40 g = 157 cal seems about right.

• JustAMurmur
    Options
    Here's an article you might find helpful: Popcorn Nutrition Facts

Popcorn itself is a healthy whole grain food. Popping method and unhealthy toppings are what can turn it into a no-no.:) Steer clear of the prepackaged microwave kind and popped convenience bags. You can't beat fresh popcorn, so pop it yourself and enjoy!
  • Mimicleo
    Options
    Thank you both I guess I will have to pop tonight then quickly weigh just out of Curiosity
    I will do anything to save a calorie🤣
  • Mimicleo
    Options
    JustAMurmur
    Thanks very interesting article
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    Snowflake should have corrected that mistake above. 40g of popcorn has 160 cal anyway you cook it. With oil, add the calories from the oil. Without it don't add them.
  • anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Popcorn pops when the water inside turns to steam, after that it evaporates so popped popcorn weighs less than unpopped.

Since water has no calories, popcorn should have the same amount of calories before and after, unless you add oil, butter, etc, then it'll have more
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Even popcorn doesn't magically lose calories and or weight when heated (especially since the corn has almost no water that might evaporate), so it should make no difference if you weigh the "raw" corn or the popped.

Just don't forget the oil in your calorie-calculation ( 5g ~ 52 calories )

Actually, it's water inside the kernel that makes it pop. The heat makes it expand and it pops. Given that the info for loose kernels (in the U.S. anyway) is based on unpopped weight (at least on all the labels I've seen), you would be consuming marginally more calories than you think if waited to weigh it after it popped (none of the calories go away just because some water escapes as steam).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

a/k/a soggy. :smile:
  • wilson10102018
    edited March 2019
    Options
    The steam makes the popcorn chewy not crisp. That is why popper design has vents at the top. For the steam to escape. From the Whirleypop website:

Steam vents in the lid release moisture, so popcorn stays crisp and tender.

After the popcorn is popped in a stove top popper, turn off the heat and dump it out asap and wait a couple of minutes for the moisture to abate. Then salt it and you are good to go.