To Eat or Not to Eat Before a Workout??

Options
Hey All!! I'm curious to know if anyone fasts before their morning workout? I was recently told by my trainer to eat something before I workout. Normally I don't because I feel it messes with my stomach during a workout. If I do eat, its usually a banana, granola bar, etc... I found this article (below). Their is some good information in it but I wanted to hear about your own personal experiences. Thanks!

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/eating-before-or-after-workout

Dani

Replies

• etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I will eat before going to the gym and it has not effected me negatively yet.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If i am doing a short workout or run first thing in the morning at the weekend, i will do it fasted. if i am doing a long run i eat breakfast first.

during the week i exercise after work, so usually have a pre workout snack first.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would do whatever makes you feel and perform your best. If that is on an empty stomach there is nothing wrong with that.

I workout around lunch so I will eat breakfast in the morning, then a light snack
    and coffee about an hour before, then candy before and during my lifting sessions. That works best for me.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It's your choice. For years we've been told "eat even if your stomach is bothered by it" but now the wisdom is "you really don't have to eat if you aren't up for it."

I really need a cup of coffee unless I "bounce out of bed". But since I'm usually doing a yoga morning exercise I don't really want food in my stomach.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what works for you! I have to eat before a workout or I end up feeling faint during.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before a workout either. I usually wake at around 4:00 AM and don't eat until around 9:00 AM and that's after my morning exercise routine.

Eating before a workout just helps you get through it. Some people need it and others don't.

Of course the simple theory is that you can workout longer or harder if you have some food energy in your system.

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Fasted. Water as needed during workout. I feel sluggish if I eat before. I workout very early in the morning.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings before work and only have about 40 minutes start to finish and do just fine with nothing but coffee and water. On the weekends I will do longer sessions, sometimes in the morning before eating or sometimes in the afternoon at least 1 or 2 hours after lunch. I don't particularly notice a difference in energy either way.
  • JustAMurmur
    JustAMurmur Posts: 7,867 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I always train fasted. That is what works for my body.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    @Allsmiles1029, to answer your question, need to know what your your current fitness, health and wellness goals?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    short run, no food
    longer run or workout, i eat a cereal or candy bar or a stroopwaffle
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I always exercise fasted first thing in the morning. Only exception is exercise longer than 1 hr.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I get up T 230AM to train FROM 3 TO 5. I drink BCAAs,
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I have done both, if I do eat beforehand I have more energy so its best for me personally to eat.
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm usually in the pool in the mornings, so I fast until I get to work and have breakfast there at my desk.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    On weekdays I work out after work, and I generally don't have a snack, so it's usually been about 5 or 6 hours between lunch and exercise. On the weekend I go early ish and usually have a little breakfast first. (If we are planning a big breakfast, like eggs, I just have a coffee or banana before and eat after though.) I don't like to be too full but going to the gym on a truly empty stomach can make me too hangry later on.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    it's a personal preference. I do seem to workout better if i eat before but i also notice a heavy feeling in my stomach that makes me feel a little sick. So i usually eat after for that reason.