feeling crappy.

Options
martinezeddie306
martinezeddie306 Posts: 1 Member
edited March 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Hey everyone i just finished my first day with my new eating habits. my question is. did anyone else feel lile crap when they first started. i felt great last night when i went to sleep and this morning im feeling slow and groggy. i got a solid night of sleep ~10:30 pm to 7 am. so im wondering if its my body just getting used to not eating refined carbs and sugar? or should o maybe go speak with ny doctor?

Replies

• thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    i'm no doctor...perhaps the carb flu?
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hi! Sorry, you are feeling unwell. Unfortunately, we cannot diagnose your issue - if your grogginess and fatigue are causing concern or impairing normal daily function, definitely seek out medical advice from your doctor.

Wishing you well, hopefully whatever is going on will pass.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Eat some carbs? If you feel better, you'll have your answer. ;)
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Probably not the carb flu since you said it’s only been one day of your new eating plan.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Maybe you made too many changes to your diet at once. My first day included getting rid of a lot of sugar sweetened sodas. A LOT. This resulted in me feeling horrible. I didn’t like diet soda at the time but had to allow myself one daily 8 ounce Coke to get me through the first few days while making the swap to Diet Coke. It took a few days for the headaches and fatigue to fade away.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Maybe you made too many changes to your diet at once. My first day included getting rid of a lot of sugar sweetened sodas. A LOT. This resulted in me feeling horrible. I didn’t like diet soda at the time but had to allow myself one daily 8 ounce Coke to get me through the first few days while making the swap to Diet Coke. It took a few days for the headaches and fatigue to fade away.

Oh man, that caffeine withdrawal must have sucked to go from a lot to one can.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    did you maybe under eat? yes you need to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight but some people go overboard and cut too much and their body doesn't even have enough to sustain itself.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Oh man, that caffeine withdrawal must have sucked to go from a lot to one can.

Yes it was absolutely painful... that’s what ultimately made me decide to break down and have one instead of my original cold turkey plan.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It’s pretty normal to drag a little when eating at a deficit. Or you could be coming down with something, it’s the season for it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone i just finished my first day with my new eating habits. my question is. did anyone else feel lile crap when they first started. i felt great last night when i went to sleep and this morning im feeling slow and groggy. i got a solid night of sleep ~10:30 pm to 7 am. so im wondering if its my body just getting used to not eating refined carbs and sugar? or should o maybe go speak with ny doctor?

I'm also wondering if you went straight to very low carb and/or are eating way less calories.

Howe much weight do you want to lose total, what did you set your weekly weight loss goal to, and how many calories did you have today?

If you are doing keto, did you up your salt intake?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,294 Member
    Options
    First day? Did you never have a crappy groggy morning anytime before you started a new way of eating?

I mean, folks have suggest a lot of plausible diet-related potential reasons (quite varied because you didn't give us much background info to work on), and I could think of a few more, but a one-day occurrence doesn't really make an actionable pattern.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but it could be a coincidence. If you keep feeling poorly, and consider then reject the suggestions above as possible reasons why it might occur, and you think you might actually be sick, then see your doctor. But unless you feel emergency-illness kind of bad right now, I wouldn't leap to the doctor as the solution.

If you think it might be your diet, but can't figure out why, consider phasing in your new way of eating a step at a time over a couple of weeks or so: Gradually reduce calories from how you formerly ate, gradually increase veggies/proteins and decrease sugar/treats, etc.