Easy strength training at gym?

Options
Can someone recommend me a short program for upper body and stomach?
I do a lot of cardio (running/cycling), so I mostly need upper body strength. I've read the post with a lot of programs, but they all seem to involve lifting - which scre me a bit, since I have a history of back pain issues. I'd prefer to use the machines at the gym, as they should make it harder to lift incorrectly.
But there are sooo many...which ones are best? :)

Replies

• rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @TavistockToad that's a lot of dead links, and a lot of lifting.

Is there one of them with a working link, and no lifting?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad that's a lot of dead links, and a lot of lifting.

Is there one of them with a working link, and no lifting?

it isn't my thread, maybe ask the author? the links include body weight stuff though.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I'm a cyclist with a pretty mashed up back....

Don't get too hung up on "best" - the biggest difference you will make is doing something as opposed to doing nothing. A short but effective routine would normally feature predominately big compound lifts in an overall balance of push and pull. The best routine you don't do isn't any help.

I would challenge that machines make it harder to train badly, I see awful routines done with both free weights and machines so pretty neutral really - the main difference is the person not the equipment used. It's also not a binary choice, you can blend them. Ditto bodyweight exercises.

Machines also vary wildly in design and fit.
    Be particularly wary of using machines for core work, if you don't fit the machine or the machine is badly designed you could injure yourself (my Osteopath calls the ab crunch machine his pension plan as it gets him so many extra patients). My experience is that strengthening my core muscles has only helped manage my damaged back if done progressively and sensibly.

As a general point free weights also engage stabiliser muscles more which can be useful in managing a bad back (cable machines a notable exception).

Does your gym offer to set you up with a program to fit your particular goals and restrictions?

• jls1leather9497
    jls1leather9497 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Apparently running doesnt hurt your back, which is good.
    This applies to the whole body, and certainly holds true for.the upper body strength. As a rule,
    exercises involving multiple joints is "better". Isolation exercises are great I'd you're a body builder or for physical therapy issues. Compound movements for the rest.of us 😎
    Larger muscles need more work. while you're working the chest and shoulders you are already working the arms , which need less direct work than the broad muscles.of the chest, back, and shoulders.
    opt for the standing version whenever possible. And even better do unilateral exercises - one side at a time. By doing, say a lat pull (mostly back, some benefit arms) with one arm then the other you.also gain some benefit to your core stabilizer muscles (working to keep you upright and straight).

Without knowing what's available to you I cant actually recommend specific. But if you have back pain, especially if.you.run regularly, i would suggest some dead hanging from a bar maybe 20-30 sec at a time for decompression.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Can someone recommend me a short program for upper body and stomach?
    I do a lot of cardio (running/cycling), so I mostly need upper body strength. I've read the post with a lot of programs, but they all seem to involve lifting - which scre me a bit, since I have a history of back pain issues. I'd prefer to use the machines at the gym, as they should make it harder to lift incorrectly.
    But there are sooo many...which ones are best? :)

A lot of people here push compound lift programs, and they are the best, but if you don't see yourself doing deadlifts in the gym, the machines would still work for you. I'd look at using the chest press, shoulder press, bicep curl, and tricep pull down as sort of a start and then you can build from there.
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for replying.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    There are a couple of good bodyweight and/or dumbbell workouts in the links above.
    I like Nerdfitness for bodyweight. Great for a beginner.

Hasfit on YouTube has some good simple routines. Watch them at home, then note them down for the gym if you don’t have the option of playing them back while there.

Below is a good machine workout that may aperal to you.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ultimate-beginners-machine-workout-for-women.html

I’m just off to find another link. It shows a bar, dumbbell and machine variation.

Here it is.
    https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/

Cheers, h.
  • travelerscode
    travelerscode Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to use free weights, I wholdheartedly reccomend Mark Lauren's "You Are Your Own Gym".
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Short, simple program for upper body strength = lifting ...for upper body you can get away with 1 push movement and 1 pull movement and successfully call it a day.

Be careful with the machines - the fixed paths can sometimes be a recipe for injury (especially if not the average height male, as the forced paths will be even further from what your body should do).

If back pain is due to injury, check with PT. If it's just due to your back compensating for weak core muscles, than compound lifts with free weights will help. Bent over barbell rows were the thing that probably did the most to strengthen my core when it was too weak for me to do core-specific exercises with decent enough form to not hurt my neck/back.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Here are some of the typical options...

* Overhead press
    * Bench press or Push ups (harder to work on progression in the latter though)
    * Pull-ups (you can get assist bands to help) or lat pulldown
    * Rows (can use cable machine instead, but will miss out on how much the free weight version works the core)

Arm strength will help improve your running speed (they play a role in the cadence you can maintain).

Working your legs will help the running and cycling as well. You'd be surprised what a difference it makes despite using those muscles frequently. (particularly the effect of deadlifts on uphill running).

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Don't automatically dismiss weight lifting if you haven't tried it properly. I have a history of back pain. Losing weight and learning to lift correctly and safely has improved my core strength and corrected my muscle imbalances that were causing the pain. My whole body is stronger... and I run too.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I agree that you can certainly learn to use free weights correctly, but since you asked for a machine routine, I will respond yo that. We don’t know exactly what machines you have available, but assuming the usual, I suggest:
    Chest press
    Shoulder press
    Row or lat pull down
    Fly-chest or shoulder
    Any tricep machine
    Any bicep machine
    2 core machines, 1 crunch style and 1 rotation style

This will give you nice well rounded routine. You can often interchange different machines for the same body area.

I would not neglect the legs because building leg strength will help your running and biking. I would do leg press and something for glutes or hammies

Machines are not fool proof. Have a staff member show you how to use them and set them up correctly for your size.

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    correct weight lifting of any type (free or machines or both) shoulnd't hurt and will actually help IMPROVE your issues. Please go look at @coacheugeneteo on instagram or his website www.ganbarumethod.com - he fixes broken people through correct muscle mapping and activation as well as correct lifting. HIs stories have more info than the actual posts - he's always answering questions on Q&As and stuff.