MACRO help...please!

Options
Hey everyone
I am not new to the weight loss life...am not blind to the strength training life either. I however currently am focusing on losing a bit more before I switch to adding strength. I seriously do not like strength...like nothing about it excites me lol I am, an admitted cardio junkie!
I work out for an hour at least 5 days a week - I gross burn between 375 & 490 calories in this hour.
I am 43, 5'4 and weigh 189. I currently intake about 10,500 calories a week.

I am looking to figure out what my macros should be and accustom myself to pay more attention before incorporating strength. I have them set at 45c, 25f and 30 pro. I almost always hit the protein, carbs are usually a bit over or spot on and fat...never hit my goal listed always under. I do not eat to hit this goals specifically at this time. I am training myself slowly to pay attention to them however I would like to have them be set at the proper numbers if possible.

I have looked at calculators online and they all vary....so I come to the real experts lol The tried and true methods you guys use.
I will be adding strength to lean out and keep muscle for my aging body :( - not to bulk up or dream about entering muscle contests lol I will not be lifting heavy..ever. I will keep it basic when I start - using combinations of body weight, dumbbells and resistance. My aim...god help me will be 2/3 times a week with my regular cardio or long walks on non strength days.

Any help & explanation would be greatly appreciated and helpful!

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    As long as you are hitting your protein, you should be fine.

IMO, it's never too early to incorporate strength training. It will help you lose weight as well, and protect your muscle during weight loss.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »

IMO, it's never too early to incorporate strength training. It will help you lose weight as well, and protect your muscle during weight loss.

Thank you for your reply :)

I am afraid of i switch to add it in now - I will stop all together. I really dislike the strength part lol It just bores me to death sadly. So I am going to slowly add it in :)
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    chasetwins wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »

Thank you for your reply :)

I am afraid of i switch to add it in now - I will stop all together. I really dislike the strength part lol It just bores me to death sadly. So I am going to slowly add it in :)

I did a phase of body-weight strength training when I first transitioned into maintenance but yeah, I got bored with it pretty quick too. So now I just do plain old walking, (which I don't mind), and then as summer gets closer I'll do the 100 push-up challenge. I've done it a couple times now and it's only a few minutes a week/6ish weeks, and I always get noticeable aesthetic results-nice for the summer months :)
  • chasetwins
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    First think if you want to set your macros by percentages - for me that was an unnecessary restriction and made food choices harder for no benefit.

I preferred to set minimum goals for protein (1g per lb of estimated lean mass), fat (0.4g per lb of bodyweight) and the remainder of my calorie allowance could come from any of the three macros - but for me mostly carbs.

Realistically the fat minimum goal looked after itself naturally so my focus became just protein and calories.

Love this idea, Thank you! - an actual number vs percentage would make life so much easier!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I found strength training a lot more fun when I followed a program that let me see how much I was progressing. Are you just doing whatever thing you think of when you lift, or do you follow a structured program?

Stronglifts 5x5 is a good program. Plus, it's only 3 days a week and about 45 minutes per session.
  • chasetwins
    Options
    I found strength training a lot more fun when I followed a program that let me see how much I was progressing. Are you just doing whatever thing you think of when you lift, or do you follow a structured program?

Stronglifts 5x5 is a good program. Plus, it's only 3 days a week and about 45 minutes per session.

Oh goodness no, I would really give up early lol I need to follow something / someone. I have so many DVD's it is ridiculous! I have You tube stuff saved ( hasfit, popsugar etc. ) I have plenty of ideas of what I need to do - but I always need to follow someone so I know I am doing it right. I have seen stronglift mentioned a zillion times., isn;t that something I would need a gym for?? .I no longer am part of a gym nor do I have gym equipment any more ( we did, but got rid of it all last Fall )