To Eat or Not to Eat Before a Workout??

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,286 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat before a serious first-thing-in-the-morning workout (above mild intensity, or above about 20 minutes), I struggle during the workout to finish it or to keep the intensity high; afterwards, I'm more likely to feel ravenous (in ways that are risky for a hedonist like me ;) ). I do better if I eat a light breakfast, and I've even fine-tuned my breakfasts to work for different activities (more carbs for on-water rowing vs. spin class, basically). I'm eating close to the workout - often within the half hour before.

On the flip side, I have the stomach of a peasant. Within reason, I have no trouble working out after eating: No upset stomach, no unsettled feeling.

Later in the day, I use how I feel before the workout, along with knowing when/what I last ate, to decide whether I'd do better with a snack before the workout.

So: I don't do real workouts fasted, if there's a reasonable alternative.

But I think this is a 100% individual thing, something each person needs to figure out for their own bodies (and it may even differ by workout type).
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I always eat before, sometimes during, and always after lifting. I'm pretty much always hungry.

I’m the same - it’s a standing joke at the gym that I have a picnic when I train 😋
  • sarahEA88
    sarahEA88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on your "morning workout" definition.

If it's a 9am Saturday HIIT class, then yes, something filling like a breakfast sandwich, but but done eating at least 45 minutes beforehand and drinking lots of water to digest.

If it's a weekday, ungodly early, pre-work short run, then not really. I need something to get some sugar in my system, but most things don't sit well. I've actually found that 100% juice boxes work well. They are easy to always have on hand, and seem to fit the small margin of getting some sugar and still sitting well.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat something before I workout, my energy lags and my performance suffers. So, I always eat at least a yogurt or something.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast before, but only because of timing. I haven't noticed a huge difference with how I feel, but my workout is always between breakfast and lunch, so it just works out that way.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I traditionally eat 2-3 hours before my workout. I have stomach issues so I don't like to eat too close to a workout, but I find that if I go too long without eating before my workout, I don't have quite the same performance.
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Morning work out (6am-ish)- I down a glass or two of water before and that’s it. I prefer not eating before and I have plenty of energy

Afternoon work outs I might have a handful of almonds before the workout if I’m getting hungry
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I eat before and during. :bigsmile:

But, as other have said, it's all personal preference.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    I eat few hours before any major workout.. if I dont.. I'd crash midway ..
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Personal preference, but it also depends on the intensity of the workout. I typically run fasted in the morning unless I'm scheduled for a long run. If that is the case, I'll eat and drink something in the morning roughly 45 minutes before getting out the door and starting my workout.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm at the gym at 4:30 a.m. No way I could eat that early. Blech.
  • LeslieChia1111
    LeslieChia1111 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I worked with a personal trainer who told me a cup of black coffee before a workout was the best for energy and fat burn. I have been doing that for years and it works for me.
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    As many have pointed out, it's an individual preference, I guess it boils down to what some of your goals are.

I myself do fasted cardio when "cutting" and eat 2-3 hours before lifting, except on weekends, when I do fasted cardio and lifting. Not going to lie though. Fasted lifting isn't supper fun. But again, only when cutting, and only 2 days a week. Otherwise, I always eat 2-3 hours before doing cardio or Lifting.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,516 Member
    Options
    At some point someone told me not to eat more than two hours before a yoga class. Power of suggestion, maybe, but I get queasy if I don’t have at least an hour to digest, esp if it’s a hot class. So I usually have a smoothie at 7 am, walk for an hour, and then hit a class or two. I come home rarin’ to eat lunch, though!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    In my experience anything with a duration of less than 1 hour doesn't really matter much so comes down to personal preference and how you feel. I've had people tell me that can't stand working out if they've had something to eat so go fasted and others who say they feel uncomfortable exercising on an empty stomach so will have something light.

If the session is getting up to over the 1 hour mark that's when I think you need to start thinking about how you're going to fuel your workout but that takes a little more planning than just an eat/don't eat decision.
  • AmyBethTN
    AmyBethTN Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do not eat before my 8am workouts. I grab my preworkout drink and sip on it while I play Mom Taxi and drop the kids off at school. Normally I don’t eat until I am done working out. If I am unusually hungry before I will grab a banana or some toast with pb.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    If my workout is a short run followed by lifting then I don't really need to eat.

When I'm going on a 6-8 hour hike I'm certain to eat. I'll usually have overnight oats plus oj. That combo gives me tons of energy. I'll also have several snacks on the trail.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Cardio or light walking- fasted. Strength training I eat a medium sized meal 2 hours before. I can normally lift on a mildly full stomach.