Hello, perhaps one of the few looking to gain weight

Options
Hi, joined fairly recently. Looking to finally do something about being underweight most of my life. Licence to gorge myself unrestrictedly I guess (hey, it's harder than it sounds!).

Edit: I am male by the way. Being sub-8 stone isn't good for me as far as I'm concerned and trying (and failing) to pile on the pounds hasn't been easy up until now I'll tell ya.

Replies

• lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I just dont understand this, not being rude, I just simply do not understand why it would be difficult to be a healthy weight in the gaining side of things
  • Chika_2015
    Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I think you need to make it clear that you are a Male trying to gain weight, before people try to judge you on here. LOL.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I just dont understand this, not being rude, I just simply do not understand why it would be difficult to be a healthy weight in the gaining side of things

Gaining is harder than you think, especially if you have a health problem. A friend of mine has been underweight for her whole life due to kidney and stomach problems. She developed an eating disorder because a lot of things were cut from her diet. Then when she tried to gain weight, she'd get sick.

I don't know if this is the situation here, but if you want, add me. I've become experienced in this kind of thing :)
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Usually men who are skinnier (like my husband) would like to gain some muscle mass. He never gains any weight and just wanted to bulk up, however hasn't logged on in 3 months :laugh: I told him I should erase him too :laugh: :laugh:
  • tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If I've learned one thing...everyone has their own issues! I have heard to gain weight one thing that is helpful is to have milkshakes a couple of times a day :) (how I could dream lol) I would assume that you should load up on carbs...healthy ones of course...Good luck to you!
  • ConfidenceNMe
    Options
    Ditto to the chicka's comment! There's no room for judgement here though. My cousin-in-law has the saaaaaame problem! He's active car mechanic who eats like there's no tommorow and still can't seem to gain any weight. I think it's due to high metabolism. Anyway you can still be at risk of heart attack or stroke so watch what you engorge in ok? Just be careful- Also, a tip would be to eat alot of complex carbs like oatmeal. That'll help you alot. And welcome!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! My husband had to gain weight. When we got together in 2002, at 5'8 he only weighed 110. He's up to 137ish now.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    My husband is 6'1 and at his heaviest weights about 145. He is in fantastic shape, as an infantry soldier he does PT every morning and can run a 13 minute 2 mile. some people just have super fast metabolisms. He has tried to gain weight, but you are right eating enough can be a full time job and annoying. Our doc told him to have an ensure shake with every meal because they are high cal and healthy. Or even, oddly enough, a slim fast shake... with a meal.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

I have a good friend who has always struggled with being underweight. She's extremely active, her genetics gave her a thin build anyway, and she's never been the type to binge or gorge. She's also really in to eating natural and the likes, so she doesn't really have cheeseburgers and fries often either. She has struggled with people telling her "just eat a cheeseburger" and asking her if she's anorexic ... I'll never understand why it's okay to be short/condescending with thin people .. she's had her feelings hurt as much as I have for being overweight.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

Well, some people don't understand how folks get to be obese. I'm not one of them, but if you can see one side, you surely have to see the other.Health doesn't come easy for most people.

To the OP, welcome! You're not alone here. You will find some buttholes, but most of the community is wonderful. Good luck to you!
  • currie_shawn
    Options
    Ok.. you should add me. Ihave been on that mission since Feb. I have gained 27 lbs and I am still trying. Get ready to buy clothes. :)
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    My son is also underweight, in the 2nd percentile for weight, and 25th for height. He has 5.2% body fat, and I've considered putting him on here (I'd be the one inputting the data) to see how I could help him gain in a healthy way. I feel for you, for those of us who have a hard time losing it, I can imagine that trying to gain, in a HEALTHY way can be difficult as well, with all the easy fast food and junky ways to do it. We've used protein shakes, whole milk, the works, and he just doesn't gain at a regular rate. We know why it is happening, medically speaking, but it is still frustrating for him, and us. He doesn't want to gain weight, he says he wants to stay skinny and I can already see it blooming into an eating disorder if we don't keep a very close eye on it. (he is a very intelligent and strong boy) We are hoping puberty will bulk him up a bit.... I can relate to your frustration, and no judgement from my corner...I want him to gain, but I don't want him to do it by eating crap, and developing bad habits....
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My husband doesnt gain weight well either. He was laid off for 8 months and gained 35lbs! HA back to work and in two months he lost the 35lbs!! ugh but took me about 9 months to lose 40! Well though most people on here i believe are looking to lose weight you can still find support!!! GOOD LUCK!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! And it's not as easy as some would believe to gain weight. Just because you're trying to gain weight doesn't mean you should eat whatever you want! After all, you still want to be healthy, right? :) I'd try to talk to some of the people that have said they have put on weight and see what they did.