Americans have it so much better than us in UK/Ireland

Options
124»

Replies

• THCamel
    THCamel Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I moved to Ireland from the UK, the prices here were a shock to the system..............I really miss Asda (Walmart) :sad: And I feel I have far less choices all round!

But this site has some US Atkins products, low carb pasta and breads that I've never seen around and some cheap TFR shakes for anyone so inclined.....

http://www.avidlite.co.uk/

I think you might find some of those US alternatives here.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    You do realize that 64% of the American population is overweight, right?

thanks for reminding me, skinny guy!
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    My mother and brother in law came for a visit from the US. We put in a food order for things we haven't had in years. The kids asked for a box of Twinkies. Of course when it got here I had to have a bite and I promptly spat it out. I then turned the box over and the list of ingredients OH MY WORD! There are a few things I do miss but I have found shops on the web that carry or import American foods and seasonings. I'm sure if you look hard enough, you can find some way to import some of these items.

To echo the posts about portion size, we took them out to our local pub and one ordered fish and chips with peas and they were shocked that it was all that came on the plate. My very overweight brother in law said to me 'With portions like this, i'd starve over here.' Yeah can you see a problem with that statement?

My husband and I went to Paris this year for our 15th anniversay and as we were walking down a busy street this waiter walks up and hands us a menu stating 'It comes in English', he could tell that we were American just from the way we looked. I swore that day that the next time I go to France my accent will be the only give away as to where I come from.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    You sure you got that the right way around? All the supermarkets and fooderies (Tesco, Waitrose, Boots, etc) around here (Canary Wharf, London) have healthy meals front and centre when you walk in, sub 500 calorie meal deals, low sugar/salt/fat pre-prepared fruit and veg pots.

It's really easy to eat healthily here!

It just gets a bit boring sometimes :(
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Do you shop at a Tesco Metro or something? O_O There is a plethora of low-fat / low-calorie choices in British supermarkets if that's what you're after. Personally, I prefer to eat *normal* food, as most of that low-calorie stuff is processed and packed full of crap.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    www.hungrygirl.com this website has amazing low-cal recipe alternatives!! and pretty much all the ingredients she uses (e.g. tofu mock pasta like 40cal portion) is only found in america!! thats what i mean .... haha I suppose food is much better out here.... but seriously...also a lot of fat people. I feel like I'm normal weight when im in UK ...when I come to visit Asia...that's another story!!!

Hungry Girl recipes are low calorie, sure, but they are FULL of processed foods, including all of those 'diet' and 'light' versions of everything. 'Diet' foods usually have a lot of the nutritional value removed to save calories, and sugar and sodium added to make it taste good again.

The whole point of making your own food is to avoid the processed, pre-packaged stuff that is no good for you. If you're trying to lose body fat, the sugar and sodium from the diet & light versions alone is enough to cause problems. Instead, try eating real "full version" foods (regular cheese, regular milk, etc) in smaller portions to keep the calories low.
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    Sure I see everyone's point which is basically 'eat non processed food' which obviously I do majority of the time. But sometimes its nice to know that if I have a craving I can eat a low-calorie alternative that is all!... :)

And yes I do love M&S low calorie meals. They have like COUNT ON US range with food from 300-500 calories and some amazing food like mash with beef, chicken tikka what not. And tastes good too!!! :)

Tesco diet food, weight watchers diet food, all other diet foods in Ireland = taste like *kitten*!
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    There's tofu-mock pasta?! Damn. I need some of that in my life.

But since you can't find that over here, have you tried lentil pasta?
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    Tesco provide a range of 'light choices' foods, which are delicious! Weight Watchers products are great too :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    As an American its refreshing to hear statements like "better in the US". So many people here are programmed to say the opposite.
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options

Where did you get that? Frankly I know I can find healthier alternatives at health food stores like Holland N Barrent and Nourish and things like that, but as a student I feel like it is too expensive. I suppose sticking to clean eating with fresh veg, fruit and meat is the best thing I can do for my body.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I love weight watchers snacks and ice creams. Skinny cow too!

Try WW:

Victoria sponge mini cakes
    chocolate wafer
    chocolate rolls
    cheese puffs

mini choc and white choc lollies
    toffee sundae

And then there is Skinny cow ice cream sandwi...Yum!

Oh, and butchers choice low fat sausages in any store!

All the lower fat stuff is usually on the same shelves as the high cal equivalent, just sectioned off in one corner somewhere :bigsmile:

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • zapatasbloodjv
    Options
    the grass is always greener....

A friend of mine who lived in outside of Fresno, Cali (rural area) claimed that he would eat healthier if he lived in a big city with more healthy options, so last year he moved to Los Angeles (where I live). He gained 40-50 lbs enjoying all of the many eateries that LA has to offer.

Also do not let the abundance of "diet" food fool u its mostly crap or really small portions that usually lead to eating more of it. Aside from the fiber one products (bars, cereals) and a diet dr. pepper from time to time...I do not use "diet" food.
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Where did you get that? Frankly I know I can find healthier alternatives at health food stores like Holland N Barrent and Nourish and things like that, but as a student I feel like it is too expensive. I suppose sticking to clean eating with fresh veg, fruit and meat is the best thing I can do for my body.

I think Jamie Oliver does a range, so you should definitely be able to get it in Sainsburys.

Holland and Barret have a penny sale on at the moment (buy one thing, get another for a penny). It's relaly not that expensive when you buy in bulk, but I'd consider mail ordering your dried goods, you'll get a much better deal when it isn't sale season.
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    Thanks a lot for that, will definitely check it out when I head back !!!
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Eat and prepare fresh food. The pre-packed crap is exactly that.....crap.
    I personally think that the UK has too much of diet this, low-fat that and we are becoming too reliant on pre-prepared food. I mean the supermarkets are even selling packets of cooked mashed potato. What ever happened to a potato peeler and a potato masher?
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options

I don't get none of that in tesco or dunnes over here!!! Or maybe I'm just being blind?? the only "diet" item I buy is diet-freakin-coke and skimmed milk!

Tesco and Dunnes have perfect "diet" stuff, did you not see their fresh fruit and veg isle? And their wholemeal pasta, rice and bread is perfect as well.
    Don't belive in diet products, low fat usually means high sugar. Just buy proper food, cook from scratch and you can be as low calory as you like.

When I read the thread title, I initially agreed with you, because I love how in America all restaurants (well, most) have listed their calories online and I thought that that was what this thread was about. I wish we would have the same here in Ireland.
  • Mollfie
    Mollfie Posts: 8
    Options
    The UK have tons of options. Shop at different supermarkets. Shop online. Make your own food. Vegetables, fruit etc. Cheap and easily found.