Shift working and food...

Options
Hello!

I'm Helen and I'm new to the community (started my dieting journey 5 days ago). I was just wondering how people who work 12 hour day/night shifts cope with dieting? I am a paramedic and work long 12hr shifts with no exact times for eating. I take food into work so can control my calorie intake but I eat at odd times (sometimes having my breakfast at 4.30am and next food break at 09.30am and maybe not another food break until mid afternoon and then not getting home to eat until 7pm). I'm either really hungry and feel like snacking (which I take fruit but that can be high in sugars) or my calorie intake is nearly up by midafternoon (as I have such long days).

Any help/tips would be greatly recieved!

Replies

• mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    my suggestion would be to look at your carb intake. If you can get it to about 100-150 grams you may feel less hungry and be better able to cope with that hectic schedule. I work nights and even thoughits an 8 hr shift my eating was out of wack until i lowered my carbs. I dont get the big insulin spike and drops and am able to go longer without food when my schedule or work wont allow me to eat
  • samntim
    samntim Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When Iworked 12 hour night/day shifts, I kept my eating and sleeping fairly structured and would eat and sleep on night shift exactly the same as I would on day shift. For example this would be a day shift

0600 Get up and ready for work
    0700 Start work
    0800 Breakfast
    1000 Morning snack
    1300 Lunch
    1530 Afternoon snack
    1900 Finish work
    1930 Dinner
    2100 Bed

Same thing but on night shift

1800 Get up and ready for work
    1900 Start work
    2000 Breakfast
    2200 Morning snack
    0100 Lunch
    0330 Afternoon snack
    0700 Finish work
    0730 Dinner
    0900 Bed

I always took all my food to work, I NEVER took any money. All of my food could be eaten without having to have a 'special' break for it. Our breaks were irregular so food can always be eaten on the go.

But most importantly was treating my night shifts the same as a day shift. After my last night shift, I would have a pretty lazy day, maybe have a short nap if I needed to but I would eat normal day time meals, just light ones though and then go to bed early to be able to get the body clock behaing howw it should straight away.

I hope this helps, and explained it okay. Sounds imple in my head but explaining on paper is a little harder.

Good luck. If I can help any more just let me know...
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I work in an emergency dept, so I have a pretty good idea of what you are talking about. The main issue is not just that you are working shifts, but that your breaks are pretty unpredictable and irregular- am I right?
    Its tough, especially when your colleagues suggest stopping for junk food! I'd agree with the not taking any money idea- it really helps at those weak moments. And taking all your own food gives you much more control. The thing is, you just can't fit your lifestyle and job into the 'breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack' model. How about splitting your daily calorie allowance into a larger number of smaller snacks/meals of healthy stuff that you can carry with you and eat on the go? Or a bigger breakfast before work (whenever that is) to keep you going and snacks for work? I turn some of my'meal' breaks into just coffee breaks, or 'walk around the block' breaks rather than eating even though I'm not hungry just because I happen to have a random break time. Of course than sometimes means I have to use one of those so-called 'natural' breaks when its a bit quieter to have a banana or something to get me through.
    If you figure out a solution let me know- I'm working the twilight tonight and I still haven't figured out what I am taking with me to eat.
  • stanfield72
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for your replies and suggestions. I think the issue is not having set times to eat and having to carry food in the ambulance (no clean safe storage) so need to take dry snacks (or food that doesn't need chilling) incase we don't make it back to station to eat when we're supposed to. I think it'll take some time to get used to reducing my calorie intake whilst working (it's easy when at home!! even with a small son).
  • samntim
    Options
    I know what you mean about perhaps being on the road and not getting back to the depot. I drive trains and during our whole shift we only get one twenty minute break at the depot and that breeak time is not generally at a time I need to eat, so I do have to carry my food with me. I have a small backpack and a freezer block in it. So it keeps cold chicken, tuna salad milk for cereal cold. I also have a small thermos (one cup capacity) that will keep soup or porridge warm.

The times I mentioned are not set in stone, they were merely an example of how the nightshift mirrored the daytime eating patterns. Also the reason I don't eat breakfast before work is because I get hungry too early and will have eaten all my food before lunch!

It doesn't take long to eat and even though your shifts aren't structured and you don't know how it will pan out, just try to eat regularly so you don't get excessively hungry and then want to have a big binge when you get home.

I've worked shift work for over 20 years so it's a tried and true method that I found works well. My son has recently started working night shift as well and also does this.

Feel free to message me if I can help any more. When it comes to weight issues, you name it and I've been there!
  • stanfield72
    Options
    I like the idea of taking a freezer block thing in a cool bag (I have loads in my freezer doing not a lot!), so I shall try that this weekend.
  • samntim
    Options
    I forgot to add that my husband's cousin is a paramedic too (not sure where you live, but we are in Australia) and the freezer block in a backpack works just fine for him...