Thoughts on AM or PM workouts?

Options
HilTri
HilTri Posts: 378 Member
I am currently getting up at 0330 and going to bed at 2000. I get up to attend a 0515 Spin class two days per week. Since I do it two days a week, I have to get up at that time everyday for routine. I find that I am tired all the time despite getting seven hours of sleep. I have always been a morning person but I am thinking about gradually adjusting my schedule to attend evening spin classes. Anyone else made the switch? Repercussions? Benefits? Please share. I am retired and have all day free for the most part.

Replies

• MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference. Do what works bes for yout. I always feel better working out early AM. I never feel like working out after work. Fir others it's the opposite. Depends on the person.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I much prefer to work out in the mornings, but I’m a college professor and don’t teach till 9. I get up at 5. I think if I had to get up at 3 or even 4 something, I’d make the switch.

I don’t know what your family responsibilities are, but if you can afford the time to go straight from work, I know that works for a lot of people. You can pack a snack to have right before, and the work out before you even make it home.

I personally have never been able to make myself go back out after dinner.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    The only problem with evening workouts is getting to the gym for me. If I don’t get my workout in at lunch, by the time work has ended I tend to make excuses and I’m pretty tired. Also, the gym is sometimes busier and that bugs me too.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's not just about hours of sleep. I simply would get a good quality of sleep going to bed that early when I'm wide awake and getting up at a time I regard as the middle of the night.

Now I'm retired I can go to bed when I prefer (late, midnight commonly) and get up when I wake up (typically 7:30 - 08:00), My best quality sleep tends to be towards the end of that time slot.

Energy-wise I'm at my best late morning right through to 22:00, early morning workouts just drag and my performance suffers.

If you are tired all the time then try a different schedule.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 3:45, in the gym by 4:30, at work at 7:00, off work at 3:30, usually back to the gym until 5:00, home by 5:30, and in bed by 7:45. Works for me.
  • HilTri
    Options
    Thanks for all your input. I certainly don’t worry about what I look like st the gym and it is only a mile from my house. I like to have coffee and journal, talk to my dog, feed him, walk him and get the gym bag together and get to the gym 15 min break the class starts to warm up. So when I was in the Marines I was up early to PT before the day got away. I worked out at night in college. I think I will try to get to the gym by 1530-1600 come home and have dinner. We’ll see how it works. The evening classes are not as packed as the AM classes. I also teach at my gym so if someone needs a bike, I have to offer mine up to a gym member...That’s the way it should be but when I am thinking I am going to get to check myself in an hour long spin class and I get bumped, it is a bummer. So trying to hit less crowded evening classes has a lot to do w my shift. Today I got to get up at 0500, have coffee, take the dog for a nice long walk and I didn’t feel so rushed right off the bat. Thank you
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I personally cannot function on less than 8 hours sleep. If I have less than 8, the next day I really struggle. I get up around 5 and try to be in bed by 830 - asleep by 9 at the latest.

I get the waking up and coffee and talk to the cats (in my case!) before getting going. On Saturdays I "sleep in" until 7.

I don't think i'd be doing 3.30am every day though if only working out twice at that time.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    For me it all depends on my schedule so I end up doing it both times. I find early am harder to get some food in you before but have made it work. Other than that I see no difference
  • HilTri
    Options
    Thanks! Tonight is my first run at evening classes! I feel silly getting so worked up over a time change but frankly, I feel so much better not getting up at 0330! I had a big lunch because I probably won’t feel like eating much post workout. I am going to head out to the gym in about 1-2 hours. I am actually getting excited to go!
  • edjfreeman61
    edjfreeman61 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I workout early and late depending on the time of year as I am a farmer. I find both have positives and negatives but I don’t have a preference and I see no clear benefits to choose either. Like everyone else I think it’s down to time management. We all do what we can when we can. Just keep working hard!
  • jls1leather9497
    jls1leather9497 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I like to work out early-ish. If I had the choice I like about 6-7 am. Sun Is up but it's not hot.
    But I drag kids to the school bus at 8. Well, not drag, more like I just dont like to leave them alone just yet. Which.pits me at the gym.more like 9 or 9:30.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I get up at 2:30 a.m., At the gym at 3am t0 5am. Go home shower. prepare for the day, then off to work. I love it. No one in the gym but me and a few others. Downside, need to catch up on sleep at lunch.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Early am here. My workouts are usually completed by 0500 at the latest. That however, is due to the plain and simple fact that sleep hates me lol. I might sleep past 0300 once every 2 weeks or so, so I just take advantage of it and get it done.

I've tried afternoon workouts and just feel lethargic, but at the end of the day, I think it's just whatever fits your schedule and preference the best.
  • The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Early morning works best for me. That way it's done and can't get sidetracked by life's curveballs too often.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Evening person here. My workouts are from 1900-2030. I'm definitely not a morning person. I can't really train my body to get to sleep before midnight, so on a good weekday I get 6-7 hours of sleep that morning workouts would seriously cut into.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I don't mind either but I found that when switching my workouts to later in the day I tended to miss more sessions. Life simply gets in the way over the course of a day.

I wake up at 5AM to work out before work. I've been doing it for almost two years but still haven't really adjusted - 5AM always seems to come too early and I tend to fall asleep on the couch by 9PM. That said, the feeling I get from knowing that I knocked out my workout for the day is well worth it and it makes me appreciate rest days and/or weekends that much more.

Also, I should add...I have a 14 month old so even if I were to skip waking up at 5AM he would likely have me up by 6AM anyway. It's kind of a no-brainer for me.
  • Bwilty7
    Bwilty7 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    What matters in the equation, given the circumstances, is how much you sleep. Do whatever allows you to get more rest. Your workout is only as good as your recovery.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    When I'm home I'm up at 4:20, in the pool at 5. Then I will hit the weight room or a spin class in the evening.
    When I'm in China, the gym doesn't open until 7. I got the gym from 7-8 before going to the office then again after work. A total >3 hours a day. More on weekends. But I have nothing else to do when I'm stuck in China for a month.