Is losing 10-11 lbs a week healthy?

I've been using MFP for about 2 weeks now and I love it.
I have a friend whose boyfriend lost 33 lbs in 3 weeks (11 lbs a week). Is that healthy, for either men or women?

Replies

• Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    I wouldn't think so. Usually the best is between 1-2 a week. I wouldn't be surprised if he gains it all back.
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 3,937 Member
    How is that even possible?
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    I wouldn't expect to see big numbers like that for much longer. In the beginning you do lose more due to water retention. Wouldn't be supprised if his weight loss begins to slow down.
  • if he is quite obese it is not uncommon nor really considered "unhealthy". as far as sustainable, well, that would be up to him.
  • MelC2564
    MelC2564 Posts: 182 Member
    Unless he was actually starving himself, that is crazy! Dont think its the healthiest thing ever...
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    How is that even possible?

That's what I was wondering. :noway:
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    How much does he weigh
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    If you are being serious, then it depends on the person. Heavier people will loose faster at first because they have a lot to loose and their bodies aren't used to being active. It shocks their body before the body can counter react. If he did it the healthy way, and if he continues on his healthy habits, he will be able to keep it off, however he won't continue to lose at the same rate because his body will get used to the activity.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    ha ha ha ha. :laugh:
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    No, and yeah he will probably gain it all back. If he contiune losing too fast his skin will start to show it if it hasn't already. Losing weight that fast your skin can't keep up with it so it starts looking really saggy. He's doing something wrong if he's been losing that fast and it continues.
  • rluxie
    rluxie Posts: 18 Member
    Men have a tendency to lose weight at a faster rate then women. Also, if he is a very large man he could lose this kind of weight in 3 weeks but it would be mostly water weight. My father weights over 400 lbs. and when he seriously watches what he eats and follows his weight watchers program he loses weight like this. After a few weeks 3 or 4 tops he usually drops down to 3-5 lbs per week until he has lost the first 100 lbs. Then he is able to exercise again and starts losing weight at a constant rate 2-3 lbs per week.
  • I personally lost 8 lbs the first week.. ( but i blame some of that on TOM water weight) depends on his diet.. his workout regime and if he was overweight to begin with.. and if he was how over weight was he... I have seen really overweight folks lose more weight than their counterparts who were closer to their ideal weight.
  • if he is quite obese it is not uncommon nor really considered "unhealthy". as far as sustainable, well, that would be up to him.

He was a big guy (still kind of is but slimmer). He's part of a dance crew, so I think that will help with sustaining the weight loss. I hope.
  • I've been using MFP for about 2 weeks now and I love it.
    I have a friend whose boyfriend lost 33 lbs in 3 weeks (11 lbs a week). Is that healthy, for either men or women?

LOL! Not even those who are gifted with super high metabolism would lose that amount of weight in a week. It doesn't sound realistic at all.

I was obese before but I never lose that amount of weight in a week, I know gender plays a role here but still that sounds too impossible. Even 5 lbs. a week is considered unrealistic.
  • myfurturelooksgood
    myfurturelooksgood Posts: 30 Member
    I believe my sister-in-law lost a significant amount of weight in a similar short length of time, having weighed 350 pounds and having gastric bypass surgery. Otherwise, seems kinda rash.
  • Well I think it's possible if he is pretty heavy, and plus if you watch "The Biggest Loser" you'll see that people there lose 7-8 up to 10-12 pounds a week. Plus if he works out alot it could be possible !
  • How much does he weigh

He weighed about 260-270 if i remember correctly.
  • Well I think it's possible if he is pretty heavy, and plus if you watch "The Biggest Loser" you'll see that people there lose 7-8 up to 10-12 pounds a week. Plus if he works out alot it could be possible !

Yes that's true but they're weighing-in every 2 weeks & not every week. Also what we see on TV is not actually live so we wouldn't know.
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    When I first started I was losing 10lbs a week and for a month then it slowly tailored to 5 -4-3-2-1 and now 1/2 a lb.
  • rluxie
    rluxie Posts: 18 Member
    Congrats Spen on a job well done and your stick to it attitude. :wink: