Thryoid people out there? Kind of long post...

Options
I had Grave's Disease and a complete thryoidectomy back in 2006...so with no thryroid hormone in my body at all now, and taking replacements, It has been an up hill battle with the weight. I was wondering if there were any others out there like me....

I have had a bunch of health issues, both female related and thyroid related that went hand in had, this past winter...changed my thyroid meds and started a new birth control, and ballooned from 194-196 in April up to 206 in June. I feel a lot better with the new thryoid med (no longer feel the need for mid day nap) but wonder if I will need an increase in dosage. I will find out on the 25th when I see the doc.

Wed. is my weigh in day, and I put on a pound last week. Verified it again this morning...yeah, it could be water weight...or muscle....and 7 lbs in a month is still a good loss. And I have lost and inch in my waist and thighs...But I am majorly discouraged. I see the error of my ways now -- my NET cals the last two weeks have been too slow....my 2 lbs a week turned to 1.5 a week to gaining...I mean, I was around 800 net cals a day or less when I run the report. I was really careful to keep my overall eaten calories above 1600 (which is around my BMR for being 5'7 and 198 lbs) but with walking/jogging, cleaning, pilates, mowing, extensive yard work...I was burning a serious amount, too.

So back to not stressing about the scale, and following the allotted amount of calories more closely, and focusing on how I can walk/jog longer, get more done, feel healthier....
Have any of you faced similar obstacles with thyroid/and or gain? Suggestions?

Replies

• Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. I had a partial thyroidectomy in 2002, and faced the same problems with my weight. In addition I have some other medical issues.

But you know what....you can still do this! I retrained my metabolism by significantly cutting down on my consumption of foods that tend to make us feel sluggish (sugar, fast foods,etc.). My energy level has never been higher and I've lost 71 lbs in a year!

You can do this! Feel free to send me a friend request, I would be happy to offer you encouragement in this journey!
  • coderchris
    coderchris Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am here to give you some hope. Even though men tend to lose weight easier and faster than women, my husband lost 80 lbs since the beginning of the year. My husband does not have a thyroid due to cancer. He had it removed 4 years ago and he was overweight when we had it removed. He started on January 1 and he dropped his calorie intake to 1200 a day. He would workout just about 5 times a week. Once he hit the 60-70 lb weight loss mark it started dropping of without him even trying . We knew he needed to have his labs drawn. His meds were too strong, they dropped the dose and he is still losing, just not as fast. He has 20 lbs til he meets his goal that his doctor set for him. It is tough but it can be done. Do not give, keep pushing forward. You can do this. Best of luck to you.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My mom has had thyroid issues her entire life, too... her mother took some of those miscarriage-prevention drugs, back in the '50s, that they later found out caused birth defects (not thalidomide, but something similar). Anyway, she's always struggled with getting her hormones regulated properly and with weight issues. And so have I, though my problem is hyperinsulinemia rather than hypothyroid. Anyway, she and I have both had good results with a low-carb, high-protein diet approach.

Rather than worrying about how many calories per day, I would pay more attention to the kinds of calories and how often you eat them. Your body will treat a sugar calorie very differently than it treats a protein calorie. Sugar and carbs provide quick bursts of energy, so eat those right before exercising. But other than that, try to keep your system well-stocked with slower-burning protein calories so that your metabolism never says "OK, I'm out of fuel, better slow down." My doctor tells me to eat something containing protein every 3 hours for as long as I'm awake so that my metabolism never crashes. And so far, that's working very well for me. I no longer have mood swings & get tired mid-morning or mid-afternoon. And I'm steadily losing weight, about 1.5 lb a week.

Everyone's body is different, but that's what worked for us. Hope this helps!
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm anti scale. They just depress people even when you're doing fine. Focus on eating for health and moving and put the scale out of sight. "My" scale is at my mother-in-laws. :smile:
  • tinacristina
    tinacristina Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am fighting the weight lose battle too. I just started my thyroid pills 3 weeks ago and lost 4 pounds and then gain it back while being on weight watchers and following it to a TEE. Now I decided that maybe that was too many calories and hope to have some success here. I even am going to try to cut down to 900 calories. Weight was not an issue until my thyroid got bent out of place. I'm frustrated as all heck and so I hear you sister.; I wish there was an easier way. I see the Dr. today to discuss my constipation. That's another whole ordeal.
  • styanne
    styanne Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i have been taking thyroxin for a number of years started on 25mg and went up to 200mg then reduced to 175mg for an underactive thyoride. i was told by my gp that my weight would fall off. i am still waiting for this to happen but recently i have been forgetting to take my meds and found that i am a month behind. i have been on numerous diets / pills etc and lost weight put it back on and more my heaviest weight was around 17 stone . I went to the gym for about a year and although i lost some weight i actually went down to nearly 15 stone. the gym closed down and ended up looking after the grandchildren which also stopped me rejoining another gym. i started to gain it again. i am now on a gp referal trying to lose it but to me it is not coming off quick enough i know i have only been back for about three weeks i have been going mostly three to four times a week. i have lost 4lb up to now. i have cut out a lot of things and tend to eat a bit more healthy now and do try not to miss out on meals. it didnt help that i had rather large babies 9lb1oz - 9lb12 = 9lb13 and last but not least a10lb 7oz they put it down to gestational diabetes during pregnancy and a hysterectomy . and a father in-law who kept on about my weight also young lads shouting hey fatty out of car windows and as i am a twin i found that people compare us. a male friend who i hadnt seen for a while had spoken to my sister and saw me a few days later and said i saw your sister the other day oh isnt she smaller than you. i just gave up trying. it has stuck in my headall this time but recently a young lad shouted out from a car hey fatty why do they have to be so cruel. I am more motivated now and am learning to say no a bit more often and enjoying my sessions at the gym once again. if any one has any tips to help with the weight loss i am listening.
  • ljholmann
    Options
    Hi,
    I had my thyroid killed 2 years ago, due to Graves Disease. I have always had to watch my weight, and have spent time yo-yo dieting for most of my adult life. Before I had my thyroid killed, I averaged a weight loss of 2lbs per week with diet & exercise. Now I am not even averaging a full pound a week. I have had several problems my body went into what is called a thyroid storm and my levels got into the critically high range for a while, but they are normal now. I have had feminie problems as well. I was reading through the post and it seems as though there are several out there like me. Since I am new to MFP, does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    L
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    The best thing I think I did was switch to Armour thyroid rather then synthroid. Doctors find it harder to track and many of mine were hesitant to try it...I finally found one who would change the meds, and it really helped. However, you really need to make sure you eat well and exercise, too!
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I would read up on stop the thyroid madness. There is also a website out there just google. I have hypothyroidism and I also came off from synthroid and found a practitioner that would give me armour. I feel better on it than synthroid. I am pregnant so I'm really not on a weight loss plan, just watching what I eat but I did notice that now I'm not gaining these crazy amounts of lbs as I was. So I think armour is doing it's job.
  • Muir78
    Muir78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I too have made the switch from synthroid to armour and feeling and doing a lot better on it. But yeah, I've been struggling with hypothyroidism for about 10 years (at least that's when it was diagnosed) but have always had problems with weight and a virtually non-existent metabolism my whole life. I don't ever remember *not* being big.

For a long time, I used the hypothyroidism as as excuse for being obese. But, when my last set of blood work came back with an A1c of 6.4, putting me at the borderline for Type 2 diabetes, I could no longer lie to myself. There was obviously something else I was doing wrong.

It's definitely been a struggle and things are more slow-going than what others without the thyroid issues may experience, but I see it as even a pound a week is still progress. Good luck to you. :smile:
  • ljholmann
    Options
    Thanks for the replys. I will definitely look into the Armour thyroid.
    Thanks