Histamine intolerance (Mast Cell, etc)

Options
AlyM725
AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone have a histamine intolerance? My doctor thinks I may have mast cell activation syndrome, due to a myriad of symptoms. One of the biggest symptoms has been sensitivities to foods I normally have no problems with, such as quinoa, avocados, yogurt and almonds, which tend to cause intestinal distress. Last night for the first time I had a bad reaction to chocolate, today my throat is red, swollen and scratchy. I've never had a problem with chocolate. I'm awaiting an official diagnosis, but I would love to connect with others that have a histamine intolerance. I have many many questions about managing it, and how it impacts weight loss. Feel free to add me if you'd like

Replies

• Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I don't have it but my best friend does. Check out this lady, Yasmina Ykelenstam the low histamine chef. I don't know why my copy and paste aren't working or I'd give you a link.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    My dog had a mast cell tumor (full of histamine, and releases histamine in the body). She took Benadryl. Is it similar at all to when someone develops hives? When I had trouble with hives, a dermatologist suggested Claritin. You should probably also go in for allergy testing. It is possible to develop allergies as an adult. I have a friend with multiple allergies, and her mom says she had none as a child.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, it's not really an allergy to foods, and allergy tests aren't usually helpful in diagnosis. It's more like an allergy to histamine a in general. I might be lacking an enzyme that breaks down histamine in foods, causing a build up of histamine.
  • sparklyball
    sparklyball Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    hi, i have mcas, feel free to add me
  • anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago I went through something similar, although my doctor never gave it a name.

All kinds of digestive distress from normal foods I'd eaten all my life. I would take one food out and replace it with something else, and after a short time I wouldn't be able to eat the replacement foods either. And not just intestinal. One example: 1/4 of an apple would cause fairly immediate nausea.

I couldn't keep food in my system long enough to absorb much of it and my weight dropped from 125 lbs before this all started down to 100 (for reference I'm over 5 ft 6.)

Gradually my immune system calmed down and I knew I was better when I started to put weight back on and could eat apples and the other problematic foods again.
  • fitom80
    fitom80 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am histamine intolerant but by changing the lifestyle most of the problems gone and I eat some histamine extensive foods like nuts without any consequences.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Save for later. Interesting topic. Thank you.